Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budgie breeding

Options
  • 17-10-2006 11:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭

My budgies have just had chicks and they are about to leave the nest and I was wondering if anybody would know if they might breed again before the year is up???

This is their first clutch of eggs and 2 chicks have survived. Any feedback is appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Unlikely but you never know, some are prolific breeders some never do.
    Either way, another clutch before the end of the year health-wise would seem to be very bad for the hen. She needs to recoupe her strenght and vitamins now the ordeal is over.
    (And make sure her diet contains a calcium supplement just in case, your vet can advise on how to best go about it).

B

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Unless you are keeping them or finding them good homes I wouldn't breed them again.
    It takes an awful lot out of the hen each time they breed so I wouldn't breed again for a good while.
    Take the nest box out, get some 'Prime' from the pet shop, it's a great all rounder or give her some cool boiled egg chopped up, or you can get egg food in some shops.

If you bought the budgies origionally from a pet shop they are most likely related if they are don't breed from them again it causes too many health problems. Not saying you are an irresponsible breeder or anything for all I know you could of got them from someone genuine I'm just saying it just in case.

Advertisement