Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

noisy water tank and a dodgy drain!

Options
  • 18-10-2006 12:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

I would really appreciate some advice please on two issues i have...

the first one being, the water tank in the attic is contstantly making a noise, like all day and night. You know when you flush the loo and you can hear the tank refilling? well, thats the noise that i have all day.

Ive gone up to check and everything seems to be okay though. the overflow isnt overflowing..... what could it be?

now the downstairs loo also constantly drips water at the back of the bowl into the toilet. cos this be connnected??

and then to make matters worse the drain outside in the back garden has blocked up. only 3 weeks ago the same thing happened and i got drain surgeons or doctors out and they just pushed the rods through and hey presto.... it was unblocked. They charged me 200!

so, i went off to atlantic homecare the weekend and bought myself some rods. no joy though. i cant seem to get it through the hole like they did? is there anything else i can do? id really like to NOT fork out 200 but of course i will if i cant do it.

would love some info or advice please guys,

thanks a million.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

when you're in the attic looking, is the stopcock raised so it's actually pouring into the tank? as in, is the water actually flowing out of the tank into the system?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

The toilet problem sounds like the position of the ballcock and water continues to fill the cistern. Try winding in the adjustment screw on the ballcock so that the water stops sooner, ie. it doesn't fill quiet as much. The attic tank is probably connected. You can add a wee pipe say dia 10mm and a few inches long to the outlet on ballcock. The water won't splash as much when filling up.
    As for your drains, try some caustic soda, follow instructions on the label and wear safety glasses & gloves.
    If that fails, use some 1" hydrodare piping (black water pipe) as a rod, connect the end to garden hose and force the sh*^ down. You also may want to try a different brand of toilet paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I so sympathise with your blocked drains. This used to happen every couple of weeks in my house. I used to clear the blockage by rodding it and it all worked fine for a while. Eventually it got harder and harder to unblock and I had to call out a Drain doctor guy to clear it. They cleared it no problem and then put a camera down to see what was causing it. It turned out to be a large lump af greasey stuff that had blocked the drain. They cleared that out and the problem hasn't happened now for more than 10 years.

So if you have to call them out again make sure they find whats causing it this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭tapest

Lamlit wrote:
    I would really appreciate some advice please on two issues i have...

the first one being, the water tank in the attic is contstantly making a noise, like all day and night. You know when you flush the loo and you can hear the tank refilling? well, thats the noise that i have all day.

Ive gone up to check and everything seems to be okay though. the overflow isnt overflowing..... what could it be?

now the downstairs loo also constantly drips water at the back of the bowl into the toilet. cos this be connnected??

and then to make matters worse the drain outside in the back garden has blocked up. only 3 weeks ago the same thing happened and i got drain surgeons or doctors out and they just pushed the rods through and hey presto.... it was unblocked. They charged me 200!

so, i went off to atlantic homecare the weekend and bought myself some rods. no joy though. i cant seem to get it through the hole like they did? is there anything else i can do? id really like to NOT fork out 200 but of course i will if i cant do it.

would love some info or advice please guys,

thanks a million.:)

Lamit
    Water down back of Loo Bowl ( called Pan) is "internal overflow" rather than overflow pipe through wall. This is constantly drawing water out of header tank in attic. Staplers solution will work ..unless cistern's assembly is old and new washer in needed.
    As regards Drains. SOMETIMES the professionals clear the blockage but don't clear the drains. After obstroction has been cleared the drains should be scraped (small attachment on rod end). Even blasting with high pressure hose won't always clean ( as distinct from clear) drains.
    Caustic soda is an old idea...very slow to work because of weakness of solution...useful to keep sewers clean rather than clean them.
    "Dambuster" ( also has new name) from "Smallmans" is very good (€ 25 /Ltr ?). You may require 2 Ltrs if system already full of lquid / sludge. It smokes during application. NOW There IS a NEW Product called either " Sewer Magic" or "Drain Magic" , sold in 2 kg bucket, It's in powder / granule form...I've used it recently ( I can't tell you who supplies here) . Is it good ??? OH MY GOD. The amount of heat generated is unreal. Example.. I had blockage inside house ( first bend "S" not"P") so I had the bright idea of a couple of spoonfulls followed by a little water ( to push the cleaner round the bend) left for a couple of hours would do the trick.....NEVER Again. The little water in the bowl hissed, bubbled / boiled smoked. I was rushing to open windows to get rid of fumes and flushing cistern. I thought pan might crack. Standing upright I could feel heat on face. Bloody effective stuff. Ask Smallmans if they stock it,or who might.
    As regards your lack of proficiency using rods..Some of those guys can tie knots in them , they're at it for years and you need the knack. Don't forgrt to keep pressure to the right when using them, you don't want them to seperate undergroung. Some of those guys have a special leader rod to help getting roend first bend. They cut the first rod at an angle, they also pre-bend one using heat (boiling water might do). And sent rod up pipe first without attachments.
    Hope this is of some use
    t

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Lamlit

when you're in the attic looking, is the stopcock raised so it's actually pouring into the tank? as in, is the water actually flowing out of the tank into the system?

dont know.. but will check as soon as i get back this evening. thanks for that. should the stopcock be actually raised then?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Lamlit

tapest wrote:
    Lamit
    Water down back of Loo Bowl ( called Pan) is "internal overflow" rather than overflow pipe through wall. This is constantly drawing water out of header tank in attic. Staplers solution will work ..unless cistern's assembly is old and new washer in needed. wjere will i get this staplers soloution? is it something that i just pour down the loo?

"Dambuster" ( also has new name) from "Smallmans" is very good (€ 25 /Ltr ?). You may require 2 Ltrs if system already full of lquid / sludge. It smokes during application. NOW There IS a NEW Product called either " Sewer Magic" or "Drain Magic" , sold in 2 kg bucket, It's in powder / granule form...I've used it recently ( I can't tell you who supplies here) . Is it good ??? OH MY GOD. The amount of heat generated is unreal. Example.. I had blockage inside house ( first bend "S" not"P") so I had the bright idea of a couple of spoonfulls followed by a little water ( to push the cleaner round the bend) left for a couple of hours would do the trick.....NEVER Again. The little water in the bowl hissed, bubbled / boiled smoked. I was rushing to open windows to get rid of fumes and flushing cistern. I thought pan might crack. Standing upright I could feel heat on face. Bloody effective stuff. Ask Smallmans if they stock it,or who might.Thanks for this. you think i might get in large hardware store?
    t

thanks so much for your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭tapest

Lamlit wrote:
    wjere will i get this staplers soloution? is it something that i just pour down the loo?.
    water flowing down back of Pan usually means you have an internal overflow fitted (instead of 3/4" pipe going to outside of house from cistern). Staplers solution ..inside cistern there is an adjusting screw. Unlikely but if badly worn you may need a washer. Try adjusting first.
    Because toilet is continuously using water your tank in attic has to keep filling up. So fixing the loo may solve your attic noise problem....Now Have you got it ??

Lamlit wrote:
    Thanks for this. you think i might get in large hardware store?
    God, nearly 4 am ...and you've got me working hard for you l;ol
    The product details are as follows
    Sewer Magic .....made by
    Friendly Systems.........a division of
    NCH ireland ltd
    Beechmount Centre
    Trim Road
    Navan
    Co Meath
    046 9075536

N B You'll like this stuff...It won't like you and if you are careless it will try and eat you..literally....You Have Been Warned

Now i'm going for some ZZZZZZZ
    If you've any more questions.....feel free
    t

Advertisement