Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hogfather on sky this christmas

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Excellent, any ideas of a more accurate date? or is it christmas day?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

not yet, but intresting is that there a few discworld films, found some on amazon soul music, wyrd sisters, discworld and hogfather, some are animated and other are films, have to start saving toi get the lot now

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭kittex

Only 'Soul Music' and 'Wyrd Sisters' have been released.
    The 'Discworld' DVD is a box set containing both these films and the 'Hogfather' listing is simply a place holder for people to see it will be released after being shown on Sky.

Here's hoping they make more of the TV ones though - the 'HOgfather' pics look good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭Kain

I'm kinda a little disapointed that they didn't get Christiopher Lee to do the voice of Death. I hope Ian Richardson will be able to do a good job.

From the loks of the poster however, it seems like its going to be really well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭jongore

They've started showing the trailer on Sky, looks good. If it's a tenth as good as the books it'll be a smash:cool:

• Advertisement

Any idea when this will be shown so i can get family to record on the sky plus?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Any idea when this will be shown so i can get family to record on the sky plus?
    Digiguide says that its on over two parts, on Sky One on Christmas Day and St. Stephens Day at 6pm, repeated on Sky Two on the 27th and 28th at 7pm, and again on Sky Two on 30th and New Years Eve at 3pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Bazookatone

kittex wrote:
    Here's hoping they make more of the TV ones though - the 'HOgfather' pics look good.

I am sorry to say I never got into the TV adaptations of the Discworld books, and I am not optimistic about "Hogfather". I say a quick screenshot of the movie that made it look like it was done very badly (two characters wearing lame looking tooth shaped headgear, clearly foam or polystyrene). Admittadly, this is only my opinion, and I could be totally wrong, in fact I hope I am, because nothing would give me more pleasure than to see someone do for Discworld what Peter Jackson did for LOTR.

In my opinion, Discworld should be done in CGI. This is not me jumping on the CGI bandwagon, but I think, if it is done as live action, it will either look ridiculous, and people unfamiliar with it will assume its a kids movie and won't get the more serious undertones, or utterly unfunny and people will think that it's some bizarre cult thing. If it were done in CGI, some characters, who's descriptions are more like caricture, could be done brilliantly (I think the "Art of Discworld" art should be the inspiration), while the more "normal" (obviously, I mean relatively) characters would not look out of place either.

Any thoughts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

I agree that the basic satirical nature of the books mean that live action may take away from the seriousness.....

...but I'd love to see a Guards movie or tv film.

I think it will always depend on the cast and crew. (just got an idea for a thread.....)

Can't wait for Hogfather.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Sweet!
    Too bad I don't have sky.
    i wan't aware there was any films already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

My TV said that it was the 17th of December.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭jongore

It's on Sky1 on the 17th and 18th December (2 parts). The making off the Hogfather is on tonight (10th). looking forward to it:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Tonight at 8.

I'm not sure if watching it will ruin it for me or not.

I enjoyed it althugh Terry Pratchett's voice never fails to irk me every time. Getting very excited about it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

It looks so very cheap I thought. Production values at the Cirque de Celebrite level. I was a touch irritated by the general farcical tone too, I always thought the Discworld books (at least the good ones like Hogfather) were good funny stories not farce. I hate farce.

I agree. Although I'm looking forward to it, last nights programme revealled how cheap it looks it certain areas.

And I know it may seem a little petty, but I'm not liking the music for it so far. I feel that it is some how cheapening it, and as DapperGent has said, making it more farcical.

Still, I'm getting excited! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

i think i'll watch it just to find out who this "terry pratchett" is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭Lou.m

I have to say it looked as if they were going to focus on the childrens aspect of Practchett. Pratchetts stories can be a childrens story, a witty story for adults, a darker story or a wise old man talking to the young. I always thought it would be difficult to bring all those aspects to an adaptation there is so much in there regarding history and myths and it is done in such a clever way and yet still remains down to earth but of another world. It looked as if they were focusing on the childrens story in there. I hope they keep the adult humour and wry observations in there too. I did not notice much about the production values. I am dismayed to hear that it may be vulgar though. But i will still be watching and i guess that is what they are counting on. I always thought that anyone making films was missing out on a huge prize by not making a Terry Pratchett film just think of the ready made fans. Anyway i agree so far adaptations have not been all they could have been.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Books are books

Tv is tv

Didnt you people learn anything from LOTR???

Each to their own medium regardless of whats in it or not or how something looks or doesnt, what you think they should look like is made from your own imagination and the tv version is made from someone elses.

kdjac

Yes thats true.

We'll have to wait and see what is done with Hogfather first really to comment fully on it though.

Only two days! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Im really looking forward to this - I though the behind the scenes show looked very good. I'm a little disheartened by the apparant negative attitude among discworld fans on various forums who haven't even seen it yet or complain that things are not exactly to their liking. Also, I think that for a TV mini-series the special effects and the effort they've gone to are amazing and truly commendable. Lets not forget that it is, after all, a made for TV programme and not the effort of a major Hollywood studio. God knows the special effects in either of the Dune mini-series weren't exactly perfect. But while the first miniseries definitely did have some issues aside from special effects wrong with, it was received well enough to warrant a second attempt which, most agree, turned out a hell of a lot better than the first one.

I dread what an unjustified negative response from fans will do for the prospects of future developments. If the show is well received and people are positive, studios and film makers etc will see the popularity of the serious and make bigger and better things. If this show is slated though, well, Discworld live-action will die a quick death right there.

DapperGent wrote:
    It looks so very cheap I thought. Production values at the Cirque de Celebrite level. I was a touch irritated by the general farcical tone too, I always thought the Discworld books (at least the good ones like Hogfather) were good funny stories not farce. I hate farce.
    Discworld isn't farcical?

Every single Discworld book ends in a climatic farce with most of the characters coming together and the ridiculousness of their actions or situations brought home to them.
    Rincewind, the wizards, the librarian, Nanny Ogg, Corporal Nobbs… all ridiculous.

The joy of Pratchett however is that the characters and satire take it beyond and give it a lot more depth.

If the film focuses on the farce then yes, that will be a crying shame as there is so much more to it.
    It might be that it’s difficult in a visual medium to add as much background as Pratchett does in the books. The witty biography and comments he gives us about each character will have to be summed up briefly with some visual clues. This can’t help but make fans feel some parts are missing or skimmed over.
    Also, with so many books, there is so much extra knowledge we have that the casual viewer won’t possess. At least they have bothered to try with a 2-part, 4 hour effort, with a lot of background and information given on the ‘12 Days of Hogswatch’ videos.

I haven’t decided if I’m watching it tonight though or saving it for Christmas Day when I can really concentrate on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Watching it now. I thought the Auditors would have had a voice similar to Death's, not a comical one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭savemejebus

the guy they have playing teatime is doing my head in, the voice is the absolute pits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

i cant agree more, the teatime character is pissing me off!

have to say that susan is being done well though, and death and albert are pretty much spot on (apart from death's mouth not moving). Much better than the animated productions

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Ba_barbaraAnne

enjoying it immensely with my three kids. Teatime is a pain - but we are supposed to hate him so can live with that. Everything else is just perfect. David Jason's Albert is wonderful! Can't wait to see Bilious LOL.

Re-read the book over the weekend so find the script spot on. Probably one of the best book adaptations I've ever seen......

..... more to come. Ad break over.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Ba_barbaraAnne

Nobby is too Human looking and his armour is too clean and dent-free!

• Advertisement

have to disagree, the look on his face is brilliant, down to a tee, very happy with this
    have you been a good bo..., dw..., an..., individual
    classic :)

Advertisement