Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I chance a replacement LCD or keep what I have ?

Options
  • 18-10-2006 1:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭

My Dell 2407 has 1 dead pixel in the top left quadrant of the screen (black dot showing up on light coloured backgrounds). Has a 4year swap out warranty. So Dell will drop a replacement to house and pick up current one. Won't be there so cannot inspect, and a bit worried as they said it will be a refurb not new. Other concerns would be getting the old firmware with the banding issue, backlight bleed and cosmetic marks - all of which I dont have with the current 2407 which is about a month old.

So should I live with the issue or chance a replacement. Bear in mind I can continue to swap out for replacements if I am not happy. As it is a next business day service it is a swap and there is no verification of your fault. Dell just swap and go :)

Anyone

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Swap and get a new one, If its still no good swap for another, and keep doing this. But if you do decide to just buy another, i would like your current monitor, dead pixel or not :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

From what i've read it appears that Dell completely change the components they use in their monitors every so often, without informing the customer. If you rma now, there is no guarantee you'll be happy with the new 1 as it could be a completely different monitor or a refurbished one. One dead pixel won't kill you if your happy with the monitor otherwise & have no bleeding or banding.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TonyM.

私の肛門に接吻しなさい

Try this one its Japanese,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

TonyM. wrote:
    私の肛門に接吻しなさい

Try this one its Japanese,

:rolleyes: ya ya, i'll change it 1 of these days for something nice :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

all monitors have an acceptable level of dead pixels, there is no such thing as a completly deadless pixel lcd. To be honest man you will get used to it with that pixel, i wouldnt bother swapping

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Sit further away from the screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

gline wrote:
    all monitors have an acceptable level of dead pixels, there is no such thing as a completly deadless pixel lcd. To be honest man you will get used to it with that pixel, i wouldnt bother swapping

Acceptable to who...maybe the maufacturer...but not to me :) And all the hassle you get from people when trying to sell it on as well...first question they ask is whether there are ANY dead pixels. At least this is a dead pixel showing up black on a light background. Much better then stuck pixels which are more noticeable in my opinion.

Anyway, the morons never showed up with the replacement. took the day off so I could examine it and all. Not bothered now.....someone will be here tommorrow but not going to trouble of unplugging monitor and leaving it lying around for someone to knock over. If they come calling with a new lcd, and look for the old one back told lads in house to play dumb. Hopefully they will leave it with them...2 LCD's for the price of one. It has happened me before on 2 occasions in the last 12 months :)

Result! They dropped off a panel today after me giving a load of abuse about a no show yesterday. But because there was noone there I instructed them to leave it in the back shed and they could collect the other one Monday.

My hopes weren't high. The LCD had zero packing. Just lying there on the ground for the cat to have a go. My worries were unfounded though. Turns out the panel is newer then my one and the latest A03 revision. Zero dead pixels or stuck pixels or bad light bleed.

Happy camper I am :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Acceptable to who...maybe the maufacturer...but not to me

Well the industry standard for class B (Consumer, class A is horrifically expensive) is 3 pixels. Not too bad when you consider there are 786,432 even in an XGA (1024x768) panel.

After that its up to the discretion of the vendor, in this case you were lucky :)

Hah...3 dead pixels. I don't think so. This ISO standard is interpreted differently by each manufacturer. Try returning a screen to Dell with less then 6 dead pixels or 4 in a cluster in the centre and see where it gets you. Samsung for a while had a zero dead pixel policy. Viewsonic still do on their VX gaming LCD's and on their Pro series they even cover Stuck pixels. Manufacturing tech is getting so good these days tolerance should be lower. I was surprised my Dell even had 1 stuck pixel as the track record has been excellent for most users. Happy now anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

yeh i got 1 of the 24" dell tfts and i dont notice any bad or stuck pixels, very happy with it :)

Advertisement