Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New PC, should I wait for Vista?

• 18-10-2006 1:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭

Mods, please feel free to move this to the correct forum if in the wrong one or change the title if you think it doesn't suit the topic.

Ok I'm no PC tech, although I have fitted HD's, Ram and other bits etc. What I want to know is should I replace my 4yr old PC (x-mas) or wait until Vista is released? I'm assuming it's not out yet :confused:

My PC is P3 and has a 1.80GHz celeron processor. I was thinking of getting a new PC from Dell or something or maybe even get one built.

What ye think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Age old question, upgrade now or wait till later. Usually i would say upgrade now, But in the case of vista not comming out till 2007. I will say wait till mid 2007 so some of the bugs and security loop holes are sorted. Unless your playing top of the range games or some serious 3d applications, which i doubt you are on that pc wait till say jun/jul 07 to upgrade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭BreadBoard

Na don't play games at all. I'll try hold off till jun/jul 07 to upgrade ;)

Cheers :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TonyM.

I doubt if we will be using Vista if the horror stories about upgrades are to be believed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Joseph

Sorry for the off topic question, but will Vista have the ability to look like classic windows? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Yes it does, there is a classic theme along with a no glass version of Aero that is sort of the compatibility theme for XP Luna applications (for XP apps that refuse to work with Aero glass) or those who simply are unable to through hardware limits or don't want the glass effect.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

8T8 wrote:
    Yes it does, there is a classic theme along with a no glass version of Aero that is sort of the compatibility theme for XP Luna applications (for XP apps that refuse to work with Aero glass) or those who simply are unable to through hardware limits or don't want the glass effect.

:rolleyes: And for those of us who strip our windows down, I've my wiundows using just under 250Mb of page file, wonder how well we'll be able to tweak Vista.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Aero Glass is accelerated through the GPU and the memory space it occupies in the GPU's RAM is intelligently shifted & compressed in and out of system RAM when you initialize a windowed/full screen Direct3D or OpenGL application (e.g. a game).

No tweaking required.

I'm on the other side of the fence I cant stand classic it looks so primitive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Moving to windows forum

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Check the license when they release it, if it allows a downgrade to XP at no additional cost then why not ?
    Or sometimes with new OS's they ship the current version and Upgrade CD's to the new version, again check the license to see if you are allowed to down grade later if need be.
    Some pc's came with a ONCE only choice of windows version (2000/xp) when setting up the system.

But the downgrade is not a given - microsoft keep changing licensing models and terms.
    With most Xp licenses you could downgrade to some (but not all) earlier
    versions.
    With Windows 2000 server, they did not offer downgrade rights to NT4.

Advertisement