Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone Card connecting at 1.8 Megs

Options
  • 18-10-2006 7:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 49

Hi

Was setting up 3 new laptops for a client on the west side of Athlone yesterday and also using 3 x Vodafone HSDPA cards E620 , They all were sat side by side and all 3 connected at 1.8 Megs instead of the 384K that my card connects at , The funny thing is that I have the E618 version and in the process of getting Vodafone Customer Service to replace the card for the E620 but the team leader idiot up there told me that the HSDPA network would never make it to Athlone but he has agreed to swap it out as we have an office in Dublin,
    I did not get a chance to really test the connection (3 reps looking over my shoulder) but it seems quick ,
    Anyone else connecting at 1.8 Meg if so please report your thoughts and speed ratings
    Regards

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

what are the ping times like to boards.ie and heanet.ie and what are the traceroutes like to boards and heanet.ie , the only complaints I have heard are about the latency/pings but otherwise everyone I know is very happy with the product .

1.8mbit connections have been widely reported (not just in Athlone) as the network is preparing for a formal announcement of a speed upgrade to about 1.8mbits this month sometime. Testing started in the late summer.

1.8mits or so should be doable in the red bits on this map below and some orange bits but not all .

http://62.17.23.101:8080/liteview6.5/servlet/MapGuideLiteView?REQUEST=MAP&WIDTH=696&HEIGHT=696&FORMAT=PNG&LAYERS=VodafoneCoverCombo.mwf&BBOX=-50000,0,450000,500000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

In 3G areas mine's always saying 1.8Mbps but it sure ain't 1.8Mbps. I'd say the newer HSDPA-enabled cards always claim 1.8Mbps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Moved IoffL>Wireless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭what_car

declans wrote:
    Hi

Was setting up 3 new laptops for a client on the west side of Athlone yesterday and also using 3 x Vodafone HSDPA cards E620 , They all were sat side by side and all 3 connected at 1.8 Megs instead of the 384K that my card connects at , The funny thing is that I have the E618 version and in the process of getting Vodafone Customer Service to replace the card for the E620 but the team leader idiot up there told me that the HSDPA network would never make it to Athlone but he has agreed to swap it out as we have an office in Dublin,
    I did not get a chance to really test the connection (3 reps looking over my shoulder) but it seems quick ,
    Anyone else connecting at 1.8 Meg if so please report your thoughts and speed ratings
    Regards

you need to setup a new apn to get the 1.8m higher speed
    i have it here somewhere, when i find it i will post it here...

the default connection speed is 1.8m with the e620.

as the ole sayin goes, ur only as fast as ur slowest link.. voda havent enabled full 1.8mb data transfer yet but will in a few days!

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭philcsl

The HSDPA network is in place on any new 3G sites being built over the last 6 months so if you're in an area which has recently gotten 3G coverage or where the capacity has been increased lately you might notice the stronger signal but there are very few site gone live yet, it is live in Leopardstown/Sandyford and some other test areas around the bigger towns & cities.

The soft launch date for HSDPA is 1st November to coincide with a new USB-HSDPA modem which can be used along with a laptop but also home PC and Macs. It will be called 3G Broadband and the modem will be the same price as a 3G Mobile Connect Card (€129 inc VAT). The launch speed will be 2 meg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

philcsl wrote:
    The HSDPA network is in place on any new 3G sites being built over the last 6 months so if you're in an area which has recently gotten 3G coverage or where the capacity has been increased lately you might notice the stronger signal but there are very few site gone live yet, it is live in Leopardstown/Sandyford and some other test areas around the bigger towns & cities.

The soft launch date for HSDPA is 1st November to coincide with a new USB-HSDPA modem which can be used along with a laptop but also home PC and Macs. It will be called 3G Broadband and the modem will be the same price as a 3G Mobile Connect Card (€129 inc VAT). The launch speed will be 2 meg

Any link to the USB modem?

Mine also connects at 1.8 but the speed of the connection is no where near that, its normal 3G speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Moved to Broadband

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

I have the E620, and it says it connects at 1.8mbps. As for actual speed test I have not done any yet, but while downloading files I have seens speeds reach 800k + ,I am pretty happy with it as it is the olny option outside of dial up for me. Would like if they bumped up the cap a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

when its finally launched what will it be like for gaming ???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

http://www.3gnewsroom.com/phorum-3.4.8a/read.php?f=41&i=3759&t=3759 it looks like next year before they really start to roll out the 3g service.

• Advertisement
Advertisement