Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potentially bogus charity collecting clothes in Dublin area?

Options

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

I've found a good rule of thumb with these guys is to look at the phone number provided, if it's a mobile number it's probably bogus. Also a lot of them will list a company number but no charity number on their stickers.

Afair only a few genuine charities do these collections, Enable Ireland, Oxfam, Age Action and Concern (or maybe Goal) I think.

If in doubt it's always best to donate clothes etc directly to one of the charity shops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I think they're fantastic-haven't paid for bin bags in ages

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

I have (very sad i know) checked the Charitable Status Nos. and VAT. No. on the bags that come through my door in finglas and everyone of them is bogus - you are much better off giving anything you to the local charity shop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭WunderFull

They have done it in a few areas around the country. They are groups of, for want of a better word, itinerants who collect the clothes, sift through them for good stuff and sell them.

If there is no charity number, it's not a charity.

Try leaving a few surprises next time round for them. Snigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Yeah...these types have been all the talk recently.
    Pretty clever scam, if not very profitable though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I get them a lot through the door in Maynooth. Saw them coming around to collect a few times - always in a UK (not NI) registered van. I'd never give these ****s anything. Anytime we have clothes to get rid of they go straight to a shop - not to these scammers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Cheap waste disposal if you ask me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

That's a cop-out. If they're good enough to give to a charity put them in the scammers bags and then bring them to the local Greens, SVP, Oxfam, etc shops. It's still free you know.

Advertisement