Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loose / missing spokes

Options
  • 18-10-2006 9:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭

Tried searching for a thread with some advice on this, didn't come across any

I noticed a rattling coming from the back wheel there a while ago, couldn't figure out what it was (mind you I didn't look too hard), on inspection today it appears one of the spokes was missing. Well it's actually just disconnected from the rim of the wheel, and just flopping around. I tried to get it back in, but it's not long enough, a bit must have snapped off. I don't have any tools here in work, but I'll remove it altogether when I get home.

Just wondering if it's ok to continue on without getting it replaced?

I've a Dawes Giro 200 - hybrid

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Needs to be replaced, if it is on the side with the cassette (rings) you will need a special tool to get a new one on. Your wheel will still work but is now very prone to damage, it will slowly buckle over time (or quickly if you hit a pothole). You should get it replaced ASAP as the other spokes will be taking more strain than normal and will be weakened. I let mine go too long, got it replaced but the others were weak and popped every month or so.

If you MUST cycle, go easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭milod

Yeah, deffo replace it - it'll buckle in no time if you don't. And you'll be replacing the entire wheel if it buckles excessively...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Cheers for the advice!

Next question - how much will it cost?

The bike is due a service anyway - I planned to leave it in to the shop on Parnell St, but didn't get round to it.

What'll the damage be for a service + spoke replacement?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭Alkers

Shouldn't be much more than a tenner for the spoke and fitting. For ther service - depends what else is wrong with your bike ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Thanks for that, will stick it in for the service as soon as I'm paid!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

New spoke will not be expensive. €10 probably right as the wheel might also need a slight re-trueing. You are not paying for the spoke but the labour. If you are paying for a service you might even get it thrown in free.

If you mean Cycleways on Parnell St, they are a good shop (bought my own bike there) but certainly not the cheapest.

Advertisement