Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nürburgring

Options
  • 18-10-2006 9:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭

I think this may have been discussed before but I cant find it on the search - Has anyone ever hired a car and driven to the nuremberg ring? I looking at possibly hiring something reasonably suited to the occasion so either hire in the UK and drive there, or else hire it close to the track itself

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭doubledown

Well, for starters, it's not called the Nuremberg Ring, it's called The Nürburgring. It has an official site here http://www.nuerburgring.de/

Go here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nurburgring and click on the "Nordschleife public access" link on the left and it will tell you what you need to know.

And no, I have never driven it.

Not yet anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Don't most rental car companies specifically exclude racing and rallying in their smallprint?

I reckon you could land yourself in an awful lot of hot water if you have to tell the rental company that if they want to have their car back, they'll have to scrape it off some barrier on the Nuerburgring :D

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭DukeDredd

Not only that but the car rental companies in Germany even specifically mention the Nürburgring in the small print!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

DukeDredd wrote:
    Not only that but the car rental companies in Germany even specifically mention the Nürburgring in the small print!
    I've heard that all right. I've also heard that some English insurers are putting in clauses excluding cover on "one-way toll roads" which is designed to cover them if you stuff it into the barrier on the 'Ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

DukeDredd wrote:

Ha! Class. Thinking of doing the M5 taxi some day. A lap of the ring for 3 people in an M5 driven by a pro....sounds mentle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭doubledown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Budd

Yeah its true. Just had a rental car in Germany there last month and they mention bans on taking it around racing circuits. Although who's to tell them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Your next of kin? Or maybe the coroner?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Well that answers a lot of questions - probably fair enough that the rental companies are wise to this. The M5 taxi does sound good though!

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭DaveD

Have a read of this !!!

• Advertisement

Jaysus Dave that makes for some interesting reading alright - I dont want to have to face that legal hassle - maybe stick to the PS2!!

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭NobodyImportant

Yea most of them specifically exclude cover on the ring, but i just did it anyway.

A C220 CDI Merc is not a great Ring Tool though :rolleyes:

Ride in the Ring Taxi is one of the best things i've done with my sad pathetic life. €180 well spent.

385903526a2022111966b661951000l.jpg

I flew to Frankfurt (with Aer Lingus, not Ryanair to a different airport) and rented the Merc for €100 a day from Avis. Lap costs €16 and you cant afford to crash, so stay well within the limits. Dont go on a Saturday or Sunday if you can avoid it as it gets very busy and scary. I went out on a wet sunday morning and it was ok, but it dried up later and got mad busy with some really fast cars out there & bikers everywhere.

Even spectating there is superb

385903526a1663318346b340480621l.jpg

There are some cool places if you go exploring the 23km's of the outside of the track, We went to places you werent supposed to stand, it was unsafe but feck it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

www.rent-racecar.de will rent you a 325 E36 fully kitted out for aroudn 4-500 per 24 hrs, possibly cheaper they quote €380 on the website. There is also another company that will rent ferraris, etc., but run at 800-900 a day with insurance and large deposits.

www.avis.de will rent you a 911 for around 300 a day with insurance, but the insurance is invalid if you break any of the terms and conditions. See the piston-heads posting linked above.

I would recommend against renting from a regular agency and "chancing" it - you will either balls up the car or else be so nervous that it won't be fun. Contact one of the agencies that rent specifically for the ring.

I was there a few weeks ago and got a spin in the Ring Taxi driven by Sabine FTW!!!! Phenomenal experience drifting around in that big V10 tank. She did it in around 8:30 I think but it was worrying at times so I didn't keep too close an eye on the clock.

There is also a Zakspeed Viper there which you can go passenger in for €260 a lap. The Taxi at €170 divided by up to three is a LOT more reasonable.

Cheers Captain - some food for thought there

Advertisement