Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House invaders

Options
  • 18-10-2006 9:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭

Hi there:

i m not sure if this is the palce to post this, if its the wrong place please move it.
    I live in a house, and a lot of kids from the neigbourhoud invade my garden, and jump the wall to my back garden as well, they drive me mad,
    I have talked to some of the parents about it and the kids stoped for a week or so and then they come back, besides it s abig gang so i cant go and talk to all the parents personally.
    I am afraid to call the gards because those kids ( aged between 10 and 14) all know I m not there during the day and I m affraid they would do something worse.
    Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Stick some of that tar stuff on the wall, should sort it out. How high is the wall?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, big dirty layer of grease all over the top of the wall. They'll stop quick enough. Tar could get you into trouble if one of the parents decided to make an issue out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 PAINLESS

get a dog. a BIG one a BIG ANGRY CHILD EATING MONSTER!!!! that'll do the job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭roundcrisis

well I though about the greese, they probably clean their hands on my wall. and a dog...well they need to be properly looked after, and I have a cat.
    but thanks for your comments, keep 'em comming

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭miles teg

Was gonna suggest the tar/grease thing also, but a long term solutions would be to get some nice thorny rose bushes that will cut into the feckers if they try to climb over them. I know it'll be a fair while before they grow big enough but in the end it'll stop them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

What's so attractive in your garden that they want to be in there? What do they do when they get in? This is the bit that baffles me - if they were coming into your garden to wreck the place, and legging it, I could understand that, but what do they actually do when they jump the wall?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭JungleBunny

Is there not some sort of paint that never really dries and when you get it on your hands it's almost impossible to get off... and apparently it does not come out of your clothes at all!

That would stop them! Not of their own accord but the parents will murder them for ruining all their clothes!

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭REDZ

Whatever about the front, hoping into your back garden is taking the piss. Put a layer of concrete on the back wall with loads of big shards of glass sticking up and a warning sign about the glass. That should work

REDZ wrote:
    Whatever about the front, hoping into your back garden is taking the piss. Put a layer of concrete on the back wall with loads of big shards of glass sticking up and a warning sign about the glass. That should work
    Pretty much illegal.

Remember people that you're liable for any injuries that a person sustains while on or entering your property, even if they're trespassing. So cutting themselves on glass will result in a court case for you. Falling off the wall (into your garden) will result in a court case for you. Ridiculously sticky or destructive pastes which ruin a €400 confirmation outfit when little Tommy tries to climb your wall after a feast of sweets, will result in a court case for you.

I say grease because it makes the act difficult/unsavoury in the first place, but doesn't cause any permanent damage to people or property.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭bbbbb

This thread on askaboutmoney.com mentions anti intruder paint.

• Advertisement

UK law doesn't necessarily match with Irish law - certainly in London you see these warnings signs all over the place. However, if the laws which apply in this case date back past 1900, there's a good chance that they're pretty much identical to UK law.

If the OP is actually concerned about use of such deterrents, he may be better off asking a legal eagle on the Legal board if they have any solid information on this (just read the charter first!).

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

In England in British Railways Board -v- Herrington (1972 ?) [Court of Appeal] they confirmed that occupiers have a legal duty, in tort, to trespassers. The reference standard expected of the occupier was to act "with due regard to humane consideration". This is an English precedent but it would be of persuasive value here.

So, bear pits, actual bears, anything that constitutes a trap or a hidden hazard will just land you in major legal difficulties if one of these kids injures themselves.

If this is a back garden wall a few extra lines of blocks to increase height would be sensible if the wall structure will tolerate the extra load. Alternatively, some kind of fencing that would effectively rise above the exisiting wall height might do the trick.

I am not sure about barbed wire. It might be alright if it's presence is clear and obvious but it can look quite ugly.

Also, for other reasons it might not be wise to have an established pattern of young children frequenting the relatively closed confines of a back garden as that could have an unpleasant or sinister connotation attached to it by certain types of people especially if there is conflict with these kids. I hope this does not offend but I hope you see the point in terms of how an innocent state of affairs could be perverted by some bad minded individuals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭Daithio

Put up a load of bear traps all around the garden.

Or, if you don't have any, put some tar on the walls. They used to use it when I was a kid to stop us jumping over the dart tracks and it worked. Maybe tell all the parents before you're going to do it and then they won't have an excuse when little Johnny's new jeans get wrecked.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,500 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

would sending a letter to each parent warning them of criminal action (i.e. guards) if trespass is continued on your property and that you hold them liable to all damage being done to the plantation which naturally you will have to get an expensive landscaper. Don't forget to mention that it is an offence to terrorise an individual and that you don't want to ruin their child's future with criminal prosecution but are left with no choice if it persists.
    Not the most pleasant action but at least its in writing
    One other thing is I threw their balls into another neighbours garden who they are afriad to climb into and that stopped them handy enough.
    Why do they come into your garden? And never be worried about day time damage as then you really do call the guards and they're bit young and don't sound dangerous enough to be wearing gloves etc!
    You could also put up one of those cheap CCTV setups, very small money nowadays to keep an eye on your property.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Good idea in theroy TheDriver but does the op know the names of the children never mind thier parents name and what are their addresses that can be haqrder to figure out them you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,283 ✭✭✭✭Esel

TheDriver wrote:
    would sending a letter to each parent warning them of criminal action (i.e. guards) if trespass is continued on your property and that you hold them liable to all damage being done to the plantation which naturally you will have to get an expensive landscaper. Don't forget to mention that it is an offence to terrorise an individual and that you don't want to ruin their child's future with criminal prosecution but are left with no choice if it persists....

What plantation do you live on? This is very bad advice in the real world. The OP wants to repel heat, not attract it.

Fish meal is a good fertiliser, you will get used to the smell. Their parents won't want to. Even simple farmyard manure is good. Or google mosquito teenager repellent - any electronics student should be able to make one for you if the real thing is too expensive. You could also collect a load of dog crap and spread it over the landing area.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 24,238 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Are they just jumping into your garden to get a ball back or is it just the hyjinx of running through other peoples back gardens, jumping walls that has them doing it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

gah could this be them trying that freerunning lark.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

After building work finishes there is often builders waste around the place, My friend was very lazy about cleaning up the waste and left a big piece of 6x2 with 5 inch nails sticking out of it near his fence till he had time to clean it up.
    One night an individual jumped the wall and landed on the builders waste, it was a terrible thing to see bloody footprints leading out into the street......
    It never happened again.

well, this is really horrble, now they threw a firework through my post box.
    the thing about my garden is that is really big, and they love playing in it. by the way they do destroy stuff and steal as well they took an extension that i left out one day and another day they opened the shed(it had a padlock) and took a medium tool set that i never saw again.
    I really need solutions now, ill search around for the non dring paint.

• Advertisement

I m just reading back through posts and i want this very clear.
    these are kids, are know most of them, they are not in general bad, they are kids and they have very bad influences.
    I dont hate them I just want them out of my property. and not throuwing fireworks in my house
    (just in case its not clear)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

If you know any of these kids parents. Contact them and tell them whats going on and ask for the names of the parents of the rest of them and explain to them the situation especially about the fireworks.

If you have pets say what would have happened if your dog had sniffed the banger or whatever as it was going off and say that this cannot continue.

If you have some rights (I don't know if you do) tell them how long this has been going on for and that next time your going to the guards about it. Even if you can't do anything, it might be worth saying because most of the parents won't have a clue or not if the guards can do anything for you.

Also buy an alarm for your yard. A really loud one so that it pisses them off so much they won't hang around.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,245 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Might be a good time to replenish the soil of your back yard? Have someone come in and fertilise it with manure? Later the soil can be turned and the smell will go away, leaving an enriched soil for growing thorned plants along the perimeter.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Door to door to the parents. It's the only thing you can do really. Horrible, probably, but all you can do. And don't be apologetic. Point out that you've asked the kids to stay out of your garden and they're ignoring you. Don't write it down, or call the police, or start building a fort with greased battlements.

Explain to the parents that you're there about the local kids IN GENERAL (not their specific cherub), mention that you're having fireworks through the letterbox, stuff stolen and your garden trampled. Maybe suggest it'd be useful if the parent could check with the child if they know anything about who might be doing it.

Seriously, if they put fireworks through your letterbox and you're not home it could start a fire that'd leave you with nothing but a garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

MBS has good advice. To be honest, I'd go mental on the fireworks thing. Use it to your advantage - when you talk to your neighbours, say it damaged your expensive rug, or set fire to your hall curtains, or destroyed a good coat hanging from the coatstand, or injured your cat. Any of these things *might* have happened, it's just luck that they didn't, but I'd use that.

Your neighbours have some responsibility in giving you your space; it's complete tat that their kids are causing YOU a nuisance.

You definitely need to talk to the neighbours again. While you're at it, tell them about the expensive flowers that got trampled in the back garden etc, the expensive tools that keep getting nicked from your shed ;)

Talk it up a little.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭b3t4

I'd also be in favour of speaking to the parents.

Also, would it be feasible to raise the height of the wall around your back garden?? If they can't climb over it then that'd stop the problem of them going into your backgarden. I've seen places around the country where they've done this to stop people using shortcuts over walls.

A.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

franksm wrote:
    , or destroyed a good goat hanging from the coatstand
    I would be worried if I came to your house...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

CJhaughey wrote:
    I would be worried if I came to your house...

I stand by what I said. My goats are like family to me. Don't mess with the goats. BTW anyone watch Goat Whisperer last night ? Class. Scarey... but class.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

can you build the wall higher? or add a fence / trellis to the top?

failing that, how about lawn sprinklers? no one wants to get soaking wet at this time of year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

I'd agree with previous posts and say talk to the local parents, don't point the finger and say it's their child, they could get all defensive and turn into an enemy. Also, if you get the kid in trouble, they're likely to do it again to get back at you, that's something you don't want. Just try get them on your side, talk it up a bit, as Franksm said, and tell them that you're going to put that undrying paint on your wall and you're giving them a headsup. That's more than fair!

Even if you just call to a couple houses, the parents will spread the word themselves.

Advertisement