Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House invaders

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭roundcrisis

i m not too sure about the parents, some of them are reasonable enough, but others...
    there is one point here that makes a difference, and i think is the reason why this kids think they can do whatever they want, I am not irish. I mean noone else had fireworks in their postbox

This si also why I am not too keen on talking to the parents too much... because I dont know if they see a person making a fair complaint or some foreigner that is anoying them and "..why is she talking about my kids, if she doesnt like it she can come back to her own country ..." (i actually heard this in the supermarket one day, but i didnt know who they were talking about neither i knew the people talking) I m sure you get my drift,
    Thanks a million for yr help so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

I don't envy you, having to contront your neighbours, and I'd hate to have to be paying money to build bigger walls and stuff. Holloween is coming up too, which is a week off school (I think) so the little monsters will no doubt be on the loose. Better to talk to the nicer parents sooner rather than later - and see how it goes with the not-so-approachable ones.

If I had kids and they were ar$ing around like this, I'd be keen to know.

Anyway, you ought to report the fireworks thing to the Gardai as soon as you can (better late than never). They won't be able to do much at this stage, but at least it'll be on record (maybe you're the 10th person on the street that's had this happen to ?). I know that 1/2 of boards.ie hate the Gardai but they're better than people give them credit for. Just go to the station and tell them about you've had fireworks thrown into your house, and that you'd like to make a statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Sleepy wrote:
    Are they just jumping into your garden to get a ball back or is it just the hyjinx of running through other peoples back gardens, jumping walls that has them doing it?

I can remember doing this when I was about 8... jeez the kick's we used to get out of it. A real challenge was to do a row of back gardens, by the time ya got to the end ya were knackered.

OP => Maybe theyre just doing it for fun, I know the rush I used to get doing it, tis better than them shooting up heroin. Let the kids have their fun! (Or are they causing damage/mooning you?!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

They've thrown fireworks in her letterbox. Could have started a fire if put in on some junk mail or whatever.

Seriously, it seems like its gotten out of hand. If they were just playing in your back yard then it'd be fine but they are clearly trying to get to you and think you won't do anything. Its time for action.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Xcom2

The paint is called Anti climb paint or Anti burgular paint.It is black and stays very sticky for ages.It takes ages to wash off skin and will probably never wash off clothes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,394 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I'm not sure if this is suited to PI, so I'm moving it to Accommodation & Property.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,283 ✭✭✭✭Esel

A cheap solution to the fireworks thing - get one of those external postboxes, and put it outside your front door. Fireworks in this probably won't destroy your mail, only blacken it a bit. Also, close off your old letter box with a few screws or whatever on the inside.

A PIR (passive infra-red) light covering your rear garden will probably deter the thieves. They usually prefer the dark. One on the front will probably stop the fireworks people approaching your front door - with this, you may not need the external mailbox. Again, this is usually done under the 'cover' of darkness.

I understand your reluctance to approach the parents. They go on the defensive (aggressive) at the best of times.

Not your ornery onager

Note: you cannot deliberately harm intruders or set traps.

http://www.elarco-intl.com/antipigeon.html

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Re: Geese- don't even think about it.
    Sure they would chase the kids away, and bite them if they caught them- but your property would be treated like the plague and avoided by absolutely everyone. Also- geese generate an incredible amount of filth- and also take a fair bit to keep them fed. A small back garden is not sufficient space for them.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭roundcrisis

we talked to some parents and we took the used firework, one of them, apologised profusely and went straight to get his kid, and he was very pissed off. I d say he recognized the firework make or something. so that made us feel a bit better.
    thanks for your replies
    and smccarrick, previuos poster was refering to grease on the walls, not geese, but thanks anyway :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Sum1

This might do the trick for you, kinda like what Victor posted earlier.

http://www.c-p-p.co.uk/product/asp/ProdID/2314/CtgID/2138/af/page.htm

As someone mentioned earlier you might just want to check with people in the know legally if these are allowed in Ireland, don't want to get anybody in trouble .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Sum1 wrote:
    This might do the trick for you, kinda like what Victor posted earlier.

http://www.c-p-p.co.uk/product/asp/ProdID/2314/CtgID/2138/af/page.htm

As someone mentioned earlier you might just want to check with people in the know legally if these are allowed in Ireland, don't want to get anybody in trouble .
    I'm pretty sure that any injury arising from gear like this could result in a legal liability on the householder.

RainyDay wrote:
    I'm pretty sure that any injury arising from gear like this could result in a legal liability on the householder.

While it does say "Legally appropriate warning label also available", they are plastic and no more dangerous than say climbing on a wall.

Advertisement