Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Merging Mentality

Options
  • 18-10-2006 9:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭

Can anyone explain to me why some people wait until the last moment to head off up the off-ramp. I regularly drive the M1 and it is particularly noticeable on the M50 slip lane sounthbound. Traffic comes past the airport and joins the lane for the M50. There are always a few drivers who (even on a relatively quiet road will go almost up to the hatched markings where the lane splits and swing a hard left! Its not as if it isnt signposted correctly and they may have forgotten their exit. I know in rush hour its more a case of queue skipping.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Inidcating before you actually turn off, rather than as you actually turn the wheel, if at all, is another thing drivers here don't seem to have mastered either.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Indicating properly at roundabouts also seems to be beyond the grasp of a lot of drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Yep, I notice this alot.

I am always amazed that some people think Indicators are there to Indicate that you are currently changing directon.
    THEY ARE NOT. .. They are there to indicate your INTENTION to turn.

I usually put on my left indicator when I pass the final sign with the white dash on it (you know the ones that count down \\\ then \\ then \).

P

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

What about people who insist on merging on to motorways at 40mph...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

prospect wrote:
    I usually put on my left indicator when I pass the final sign with the white dash on it (you know the ones that count down \\\ then \\ then \).
    Many, many years ago when I lived in Germany, I was told to start indicating at the \\ sign, i.e. 200m before the turn, and still do it to this day. I'd say 100m is a bit close at motorway speeds, personally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Alun wrote:
    Many, many years ago when I lived in Germany, I was told to start indicating at the \\ sign, i.e. 200m before the turn, and still do it to this day. I'd say 100m is a bit close at motorway speeds, personally.

You are possibly right, however, I have yet to see another driver indicate sooner than I do!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I'd say poor signange contributes to this, the signs leading up to the exit may be inadequate and the first "detailed" sign may be right at the exit. Of course another possibility is that the drivers are just braindead dopes who aren't concentrating on what they're doing. Another scenario is where drivers are in the overtaking lane right till the last second and swing across. If there is a lot of traffic tailgating in the driving lane it may be difficult for drivers in the overtaking lane to get into the driving lane in good time.

TBH driver who exit the motorway too early piss me off more. Eg you get idiots who blatantly ignore the road markings and turn the hard shoulder into a deceleration lane long before the actual deceleration lane begins. This is usually seen in heavy traffic where drivers try to jump queues but i've also seen it in freely moving traffic. Idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

Drax wrote:
    Can anyone explain to me why some people wait until the last moment to head off up the off-ramp. I regularly drive the M1 and it is particularly noticeable on the M50 slip lane sounthbound. Traffic comes past the airport and joins the lane for the M50. There are always a few drivers who (even on a relatively quiet road will go almost up to the hatched markings where the lane splits and swing a hard left! Its not as if it isnt signposted correctly and they may have forgotten their exit. I know in rush hour its more a case of queue skipping.
    I do this when I am leaving the M50 slip road to go onto the M1. The reason being that the traffic in the inside lane always seems to go really slow (i'm talking less than 80kmh) well before the exit. You don't need to slow down until you reach the off ramp yet these idiots reduce their speed 300m+ before the exit. By driving in the overtaking lane you can skip most of these dozy drivers and slot in just before the hatched markings begin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Rew wrote:
    What about people who isist on merging on to motorways at 40mph...

OMG I thought I was alone.

Today, some one merged at 35mph(ish) with oncoming traffic at 60mph.

Looked over it was a 30 year old bloke, and I expected some granny who could barely see over the wheel which is the usual case.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

By driving in the overtaking lane you can skip most of these dozy drivers and slot in just before the hatched markings begin.

Ever think that these drivers are having to slow down because the people heading on to the N32 in the inside lane have to keep breaking for inconsiderate drivers flying down the overtaking lane and cutting over to the slip road at the last minute?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

R.O.R wrote:
    Ever think that these drivers are having to slow down because the people heading on to the N32 in the inside lane have to keep breaking for inconsiderate drivers flying down the overtaking lane and cutting over to the slip road at the last minute?
    Nope. They are probably just the same idiots that drive at 80kmh along the whole motorway, you know the kind of drivers that are afraid of motorways and lose all confidence and ability to make a decision the second they get into a car?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Personally I always indicate at the 100m sign and always try to merge at the same speed as traffic.....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Evil Phil wrote:
    Indicating properly at roundabouts also seems to be beyond the grasp of a lot of drivers.

Thats because they dont know how they work, amazes me how many people have no idea how to use the lanes.

Advertisement