Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Garda Cars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

that's true, because everybody would know that it should read

"Gardai Buy fleet of BMW M5's for high speed fast food snacks"

LOL,

"An Garda Síochána"
    Fast Cars, Fast Food & Fast Women.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

well, fast food, anyway! 1 out of 3???

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

I know of a village on the N7 where the local squad car is a .... Yaris!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

I pointed out on another thread recently. Seen on the rock road with blues and twos going, a black BMW X5! Think its assigned to the ERU!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Theres been a Saab garda patrol car around the Waterford area for a couple of years now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

It BeeMee wrote:
    There was an ancient Fiesta van in use (at least until quite recently) around Corrandulla in Galway. I'd pay to see Tubbs and Crockett rock up to a drugs bust or arms deal in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

mackerski wrote:
    Are silver and green cars more popular?

Dermot

The green is a sticker. When the police livery is removed you have a bona fide silver mercedes benz!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Robbo wrote:
    There was an ancient Fiesta van in use (at least until quite recently) around Corrandulla in Galway. I'd pay to see Tubbs and Crockett rock up to a drugs bust or arms deal in that.

I've seen one (garda fiesta van that is) returning from a drug bust about 10 or 12 years ago. At least that's what we assumed when we saw the back of it full of canibas plants.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

alias no.9 wrote:
    At least that's what we assumed when we saw the back of it full of canibas plants.

Isn't the back of a van as good a place as any to grow them?

The best place to go garda car spotting is outside a 24hr tesco in the wee hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,381 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

peasant wrote:
    So I'd rather see three (fully manned) cheaper slower Mondeos in garda colours than one BMW M3 / 5

Total running costs of cars (be they Mondeos or M5s) are nothing compared to the wage bill. 3 cars with 2 Gardai in them 24/7 will cost about €2,000,000 in wages per annum... :eek:

Traffic corps in the Netherlands have (had) Porsches and BMW M3s :)

• Advertisement

unkel wrote:
    Total running costs of cars (be they Mondeos or M5s) are nothing compared to the wage bill. 3 cars with 2 Gardai in them 24/7 will cost about €2,000,000 in wages per annum...

Are you sure that's right? That averages out to about €40 per hour.

I'm in the wrong job!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,381 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Fey! wrote:
    Are you sure that's right? That averages out to about €40 per hour

Yeah that's about right. That's salary cost, not what the Garda takes home net though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

I'm assuming the pulsar was a vzr if the cops couldn't keep up. Did your friend not consider some additional security when buying a skanger magnet? Jap imports have sweet fa security as standard, that makes high powered imports top of the list for scumbags. It shouldn't be this way but it is. It's a bit late now to complain about the availability of an appropriate persuit car.

Don't know if it was a VZR all I remember is it was an Antichrist. Personally I never liked the look of it myself. We know about Japs being easy to steal he had a big big FO lock on the steering wheel and of course the one night he left it off...

There was no complaint about it we both know it's his fault it got stolen in the forst place. All that was left were a load of empty beer cans where the car once was.
    TheBazman wrote:
    I saw an unmarket Prius yesterday "tearing" down the keys with sirens blazing and blue lights flashing in the front grill. Didn't think fuel economy was the first concern when selecting Garda motors.

Richard Hammond tells me it's one of the worst machines ever built by man.
    dubstub wrote:
    I completely agree with this. I drive a 1969 Dodge Charger and poor old Sheriff Rosco and Deputy Enos can never catch me in their slow Garda cars.

Sherrif.jpg
    Gawddamnit, I'll git you yet bohy!

unkel wrote:
    Yeah that's about right. That's salary cost, not what the Garda takes home net though...

Even so, doesn't that work out at €20+ per hour? Although I suppose that even BMW workers have a costing of about €15 per hour and only get about €7.50 into their hands. (BTW, BMW in this case is Basic Minimum Wage, before anyone starts THAT rant!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Fey! wrote:
    Even so, doesn't that work out at €20+ per hour? Although I suppose that even BMW workers have a costing of about €15 per hour and only get about €7.50 into their hands. (BTW, BMW in this case is Basic Minimum Wage, before anyone starts THAT rant!)

It "could" be correct. Dont forget to factor in
    Basic salary for 8 hours, then shift alowance for the remaining 16 hours
    And a heap of overtime + shift allowance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

layke wrote:
    dubstub wrote:
    I completely agree with this. I drive a 1969 Dodge Charger and poor old Sheriff Rosco and Deputy Enos can never catch me in their slow Garda cars.
    Sherrif.jpg
    Gawddamnit, I'll git you yet bohy!
    That is Sheriff Buford T. Justice, from Smokey and the Bandit.
    "There is no way, NO way, that you came from my loins. The first thing I'm gonna do when I get home is punch your momma in the mouth."

This is Sheriff Rosco P. Coltrane of Hazzard County-
    roscogatwn9.jpg
    "I'm gonna get them Duke boys. I'm gonna get 'em good."

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

layke wrote:
    I know it's never going to be in the budget, but don't you think the gardai need some high powered vehicles available for pursuits?
    I remember when they used to have Renault 4s (just like the P&T ).

It BeeMee wrote:
    Nothing spectacular about that. Yaris are used all over the country for 'community policing'. They have also used Opel Corsas, Fiat Puntos, Citreon Saxos, Dihatsu Charades, Ford Kas etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

I remember when they used to have Renault 4s (just like the P&T ).

Like this one:

1984renault4gardacarwb8.jpg

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Robbo wrote:
    they still have a 94 fesita in the biggest district in ireland in louisbugh.. not many crimes but a good old shop robbery there last summer they drove off in a A4 and the cop car could only do 80pmh... and hes one of the only people in the force in the county who is allowed travel at high speed..

yet saying that all there training is driveing to donegal at 90mph and driving back....they are getting the fire bregade and ambulance drivers to do it now...

im ussally good at spotting the old cop car.. they is now sooooo many to list that the only way you can tell if its one is its theres 4 areals on teh roof.. no tax or insurance and no garage sticker on the back... someone said that they are using impouded cars.. they sure are.. i seen a very shaby creame outside longford there the last day.. they dident have blue lights on the front oly that the headlamps flash...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭lau1247

what's the point of getting high power car for gardai??
    The traffic will do the job for them..
    Can't go anywhere in dublin without stopping because of lights, cars, and peoples!

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

not at 4am

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭lau1247

hmmm driving fast at 4 am.. intriguing idea indeed

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭ShinyDiscoBall

Try get away from dat!!!

yip the italians have a few of them.. they mainly use them to tranfer blood and organs around.. the germans have a firarri (sp) for high high speed persuits on the motorways...

anto-t wrote:
    the only way you can tell if its one is its theres 4 areals on teh roof.. no tax or insurance and no garage sticker on the back
    They are obliged to display Insurance disc. Garda vehicles are exempt from vehicle tax (Not much point in the Government paying tax to themselves!). Undercover vehicles can have garage stickers and are usually bereft of antennae. Most marked Garda vehicles seemed to be missing the wheel trims. I think that they were removed prior to distribution to prevent individual Gardai from taking them for their own cars. There are usually 3 antennae on the roof - UHF, VHF and standard FM.
    anto-t wrote:
    someone said that they are using impouded cars.. they sure are
    :rolleyes:
    anto-t wrote:
    i seen a very shaby creame outside longford there the last day.. they dident have blue lights on the front oly that the headlamps flash...
    Probably an undercover car (different from an unmarked car). The Gardai use a variety of vehicles for undercover work - old cars, Eircom vans, bread vans, trucks etc.

she was doing speed checks... pulled out and went after a motor bike... if it was a undercover car they werent doing a good job with her head out the window with a speed gun..

anto-t wrote:
    she was doing speed checks... pulled out and went after a motor bike... if it was a undercover car they werent doing a good job with her head out the window with a speed gun..
    She may have been posing as a speed trap but wanted the motorbike for another reason! :D

Could it have been the Garda's own car? I find it hard to believe but it was stated here recently that, in some parts of the country, the Gardai use their own vehicles. (Presumably they get an allowance for this if it is true).

its becomeing like an póst... wow.. will they start buying black cars and stick a garda sign on it... who knows..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

j14 wrote:
    From what I've heard from January next the Gardai will have their choice of any car impounded by the CAB or from the Gardai impound lot. That means an awful lot of powerful "free" cars at the disposal of the Gardai. Alot of these cars are the more powerful Subarus or Evos. J.

Any truth in this at all?

• Advertisement

yip and as i said above some are doing it allready

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement