Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Garda Cars

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

anto-t wrote:
    they still have a 94 fesita in the biggest district in ireland in louisbugh.. not many crimes ..

im ussally good at spotting the old cop car... no garage sticker on the back...

One of our local under cover cars has got garage advertising on the number plate surrounds which i think isnt legal. Another car sports a county number plate with 6 digits, example 02 CN 98765. Unless ur a tourist, you know that that number of cars registered in Cavan is probably about I500 at most, excluding the imported cars. Ive seen cars from yaris to ka.

For the thread about the pulsar, dont for a minute think that the japanese police are driving skyliners. Most of the police travel around in a bus..... the police cars I spotted were Toyota Crowns, Nissan Crew: which looks like a large Nissan Sunny from the early 90s and Mitsubishi Minicas which are smaller than a Ka but have four doors.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

G Luxel wrote:
    anto-t wrote:
    Another car sports a county number plate with 6 digits, example 02 CN 98765. Unless ur a tourist, you know that that number of cars registered in Cavan is probably about I500 at most, excluding the imported cars.

Not a bad guess...

2308 (new) in 2002 according to http://www.cso.ie/releasespublications/pr_transport.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 btowner

I know this is a bit drastic but the you shouldn't be talking about the gardai getting high performance cars you should talk about them getting helicopters.

In every other country when in a high speed pursuit the police can back off and let the helicopter chase. This not only reduces the danger but no matter what the helicopter can always follow the driver.

I think the Gardai have 2 or 3 helicopters(correct me if im wrong). don't you think that rather than spending money on the government plane they could buy a few helicopters.

Also the army helicopters could start to multitask cause realistically the irish air core doesn't really do anything (no offence to anyone in the air core)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

btowner wrote:
    Also the army helicopters could start to multitask cause realistically the irish air core doesn't really do anything (no offence to anyone in the air core)

Apart from Air Sea Rescue of course?

http://www.irishmilitaryonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=25&Itemid=36

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 btowner

Okay what about when they are not doing sea rescue. I said multitask i didn't say stop doing everything to help the gardai

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

btowner wrote:
    air core doesn't really do anything

See above.

Plus, it's Air Corps. They are not an apple.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

btowner wrote:
    the irish air core doesn't really do anything
    Anyone who spells it as "air core" obviously doesn't know what they are talking about. :rolleyes:

THE AIR CORPS MISSION

To contribute to the security of the State by providing for the Military Air Defence of its territorial integrity and to fulfill all roles assigned by Government through the deployment of a well motivated and effective Air Corps.

INTRODUCTION

The Air Corps is the Air Component of the Defence Forces and it has its legal basis in Para 18 of the Defence acts 1954 to 1987. Since its was formed in 1922 is has undergone many changes structurally and technologically. It is partly due to the requirement to stay abreast of the new technologies in aircraft, but also due to the increasing range and diversity of missions which the Air Corps is tasked.

PRIMARY ROLES OF THE AIR CORPS

In Support of the Army

In Support of the Naval Service

In Aid to the Civil Power

SECONDARY ROLES OF THE AIR CORPS

Aid to the Civil Community

Aid to Government Departments

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

One of the muppets wrote off a 2.2 Carina outside Castlebar a few years ago.....
    It was the pride of mayo's unmarked cars......

btowner wrote:
    I know this is a bit drastic but the you shouldn't be talking about the gardai getting high performance cars you should talk about them getting helicopters.

In every other country when in a high speed pursuit the police can back off and let the helicopter chase. This not only reduces the danger but no matter what the helicopter can always follow the driver.

I think the Gardai have 2 or 3 helicopters(correct me if im wrong). don't you think that rather than spending money on the government plane they could buy a few helicopters.

The costs of putting a helicopter in the air are many many times that of a cop car. I remember mentioning something like this to somone who works with helicopters.
    Maybe someone who knows more about helicopters can help me out with this but the figure is in the thousands of euro per hour of flight time.

The more flying you do the more expensive each hour becomes.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Mutz

The avensis the guards get is the 1.6 litre model and they go all over the place at high speed and cornering. Heard of an avensis gear box falling out after 8000 kilometers!

Mondeo 2 litre and Volvo S40 should be the standard as they can take the hard punishment (i.e. hard gear changing in urban areas where 3rd or 4th gear is the highest that will be used at while repsonding to calls - chases never really happen anymore unless its a robbery or a shooting).

Its a pity the government wont look after teh guards with equipment - all we have to do is look at sky1 any night to compare the Brits to the Guards - they have it all and more!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

layke wrote:
    For example: my friend's car was stolen from outside my house before, it was a 1.6L Nissan Pulsar which the guards were chasing but couldn't catch because the 2.0L squad cars they use are simply not designed as a powerful vehicle.
    The Garda will not close persue a car if they expect it to be used for joyriding, as that is giving the joyriders what they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

From what I've heard from January next the Gardai will have their choice of any car impounded by the CAB or from the Gardai impound lot. That means an awful lot of powerful "free" cars at the disposal of the Gardai. Alot of these cars are the more powerful Subarus or Evos. J.

.........great so that means after about 6 or 8 months there will be loads of high powered cars running around on bald tyres, unserviced as I doubt they have taken that into account !!
    Now this is a patrol car!!!!!!

Try get away from dat!!!
    Attached Images 101.jpg (26.9 KB, 142 views)

.......no problem getting away from that or any other Lamborghini.........drive through any estate with speed ramps !!

I think the Mondeo V6's are the most suitable, strong, comfortable,safe, neutral handling and enough power yet still cheap to service and fix when damaged !

The unmarked cars I suppose should be a mix, but the force is prbably morning the loss of the big Granada's and Omega 3.0 V6's which they used to smoke around in, very unassuming cars, and the Omegas were quite fast !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

starn wrote:
    I think its a issue of escalation as a reformed speed Junkie and " Car Borrower". If I knew the cops were in M5's it would mean I need to 'borrow' something faster so I know i could get away if it came to a chase
    Yes... but finding something to "borrow" thats quicker than a mondeo is one thing, finding something to "borrow" thats quicker than a 507bhp M5 is quite another!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

Maybe someone who knows more about helicopters can help me out with this but the figure is in the thousands of euro per hour of flight time.

Its in the region of €5000 - €7000 an hour, from what I remember. The figues were in an article in the Irish Times about ministerial usage of government jets/helicopters.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,281 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Its in the region of €5000 - €7000 an hour, from what I remember. The figues were in an article in the Irish Times about ministerial usage of government jets/helicopters.

Ah for Jaysus sake, that figure is for the biggest jet they have!

Not your ornery onager

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

As was pointed out the garda dont really get any formal training in the use of high speed cars. I remember being told that a few years ago they had a fleet of 12 Renualt 5 GT sports which over the course of a year all got written off! I reckon the way to go is with the Fords, but with the higher spec cars. Driving in the UK a few months ago I saw an unmarked RS Focus screaming down the m25. Have you noticed that all the unmarked cars now have strobes in the dash, on the brake lights on the back, on inside the tail lights and even on the side of the front bumper. They really are going for high visability now. Blue has been the standard light, but I recently saw a traffic corps car on the naas dual carraigeway pulled in at the side of the road with blue and RED strobes! Is this common now for traffic corps?

P.S. Navy unmarked astra in Rathmines has a Q102 sticker on the back of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,281 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Resurrecting old threads is a big no-no.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 65,381 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Holy double resurrection!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement