Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best value bikes - US, EU or UK?

Options
  • 18-10-2006 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭

Obviously, I have given up on Ireland.

The story is that I am considering buy two bikes. A good one for triathlon racing (say the Trek Madone 5.2), and a good one for training (say Trek 1200). I am flexible on money, and while each of the bikes mentioned above are treks, I am not tied to any particular brand.

I am also prepared to buy a frame for each bike and the rest of the parts seperately (have someone to assemble build it for me).

My spec requirements are:

1. Ultegra* throughout (Pref 10s); Will settle for 105s* on training bike
    2. Carbon frame (or low weight alloy) for good bike, carbon fork for training bike
    3. Mid-to-high range wheels on good bike

* Or Campy equivalent.

I am going to the states in December, and everyone tells me about www.racycles.com. When I compared their prices with Irish prices I was impressed. But then I checked out Royles and JE James in the UK, and was surprised to see that these are even chepaer.

Trek 1000
    - Cycle Superstore (IRL) = €779
    - Jays Cycles (NJ) = $650 = €520
    - JE James (IE) = £399 = €595

Trek Madone 5.2 '06
    - Cycle Superstore (IRL) = €3,379 (and not available)
    - RA Cycles (NYC) = $2,399 = €1,920
    - Royles (IE) - £1,750 = €2,600
    - JE James (IE) - £1,600 = €2,380

Someone else told me about 'a place in Belgium' where 'everything' is a fraction of Irish prices - but I don't know where to start looking there.

Does anyone have any ideas on:

- Best bike recommendations
    - Stockists in NYC, Europe and UK I can contact
    - General information about building your own bike.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭daymobrew

If you are looking at UK retailers, Evans Cycles seem to be good. They have the "Trek 5.2 Madone 20 Speed 2006" for £1750, the "Trek Madone 5.0" for £1700. It's £900 for Trek 5.2 Madone Frame 2006.

The Trek 5000 is on Chain Reaction Cycles in the North for £1000.

BTW, for triathlons, Cervelo and Quinta Roo seem to be popular brands. The geometry of a tri bike is different from a road bike.

Nice budget btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

US branded bikes (e.g. Trek, Specialized) they will nearly always be cheaper in the US. Some bargains can be had in Europe too. Generally bikes will come through a number of suppliers before arriving in Ireland which increases the cost.

It's nearly always better value to buy a complete bike rather than the components - bike manufacturers can get the parts cheaper than anyone.

The deals you see from the UK suppliers will probably be them selling off old 05 and 06 stock. The US still looks cheapest from your figures.

If you're going to the States already then your solution seems obvious - pick up the bike over there. And hopefully don't get done for duty on the way back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Genghis

Thats a big consideration, Morgan. Carting the bike from NYC to JFK and from Dublin home myself is a lot of hassle. Posting it will definitely incur full duty. Walking through customs could be fairly light - how is your man going to value the bike. My plan was to do a little research, go through 'declare' and give a value (probably about €600) such that the duty is under €50.

With the UK, I can almost get free shipping, no duty risk and if really necessary can go over there on a day trip.

Re Quintana Roo, daymobrew - I already own one and I find tri-specific (ironically) a little too restrictive. Forget about it on hills, for example. I am hoping for a good rad-bike with tri bars. Will look into Cervelo - thanks.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

i like the price and value of the felt and focus bikes on wiggle.co.uk. unless the savings are massive i don't think the states is worthwhile. at least with uk shops you can go back via them with any big issues. i got my low end giant road bike and kona mtn bike at sale prices up north. saved about 25% or more over prices here (on 1000euro or so bikes)..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I'd say you'd get away with bringing the bike back from the US if in person, without declaring it. People bring their own bikes around with them all the time. I'd make sure it was fully assembled and if paranoid ride it around New York a bit first though! Nothing wrong with it being boxed, it's a standard way to transport them, and you can always reassemble in the baggage hall before going through customs (this is what I do anyway.) And in any case _customs_ is common in Dublin airport - they don't distinguish very well between EU/non-EU arriving passengers (passport control another matter.)

I know of at least one other person who has successfully bought in the US, but they were going for a holiday cycling in the US anyway so made sense to just buy the bike there.) Agree not worth it though unless you wanted to go anyway or the savings were truly massive (which I don't think they will be compared to UK/EU.)

Also taking bikes on planes can be a nightmare (I have done it several times) and there is massive potential for damage. I have seen bikes bounce off those little buggies onto the tarmac for a handler just to pick it up and throw it back on top, and my own bike (at Barajas) was just tossed onto the general luggage belt at checkin and then some baggage people tried to force it through a hole and down a ramp that it clearly wouldn't fit! Or at least that was the way it looked, the eventually managed and it fell down (probably off) the ramp with a resounding crash. Not the sort of thing you might want happening with a brand new Madone.

That of course was after almost missing the flight due to arguing with the checkin agent who wanted to charge me a 300 euro excess baggage fee and would not believe that I had already paid Aer Lingus their bike transport fee.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 howya horse

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Planet-x in the UK have some great deals

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

I have a pretty similar set-up to your wish-list, with a Trek 1500 and a 5.2.
    I picked up the 1500 at http://www.buyabikedirect.co.uk/ which has deals on some bikes and got the 5.2 second hand (though it looks brand new!) in the States and brought it over. There were no problems at the airport.
    For high end bikes, I think the States is the place to go.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Genghis

tunney wrote:
    Planet-x in the UK have some great deals

These guys look like a real prospect. I have done a limited amount of research and they seem to command quite a bit of respect.

Don't suppose you have had the chance to try one out, Tunney?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 CottonMouth

Hi,

From the opposite direction I have a 52cm 2005 Trek Madone 5.9 SL that I want to sell. It's a full Dura Ace 10s wit hBontranger XXX Race lite wheels but is too small for me so I haven't been able to use it. Grrrr and such a great summer. I'm stuck using my mountain bike and basic street bike instead.
    Is there anywhere to sell\trade high end bikes in Ireland.
    I sold an OCR 3 before on buyand sell but got very few responses and it was a very low price I think 300 euros for six month old Giant???
    I know there are loads of serious bikers in Ireland so there must be somewhere I can get in contact with people. I would prefer a face to face so they can examine the bike beforehand. I'd be interested in a trade for a bigger bike of similar quality a 54 ideally. Am I the only one in this situation?
    If I sell through a shop there is 21% VAT added so it's not worth my while really, I will lose enough already from what I paid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭roadmanmad

ring around the irish shops for any end of range 2006 bikes being off loaded before 2007 starts in earnest. Nobody want to be caught with a non mover. Suggust a 50% cut in actual gross value and see how far they may come to meet what you are prepared to pay.

On importing, watch import duties particularly non euro zone. I am currently watching trek madones on ebay. I have a delivery mecanism set up which will hopefully keep import duties to a minimum.

There may be serious bikers out there but they may not be prepared to shell out the dosh. Sometime months of work can go into a purchase at the right price.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

CottonMouth, you should post it up on Adverts.ie and maybe put on Buyandsell with a real price, see if anyone takes you up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Im living in England for a year, let me know if any of you stumble across any cheap bike sites. or second hand bikes, i miss left my cirrus at home and am looking for an ocr

Advertisement