Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting back the deposit

Options
  • 18-10-2006 10:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭

I'm currently renting a room in a flat living with the landlord. I didn't know the guy before moving in.

At the moment, he's currently in Japan and won't be back till Xmas, which will be after I leave the country and go back home.

He didn't give the deposit back to a guy who moved out in May, even though he was a mate of his! From what I gather, he was unhappy with his sudden urge to leave (Despite giving 1 month notice as in the contract).

I've been told, I may get back all my deposit sometime in January if the flat is like its current state. I've told him I want it when I move out but his excuse is lack of funds. Plus he might not get back from Japan till the middle of January.

I've been in a fortunate position to have the flat to myself, but at the same time he's quite ungrateful for me looking after it. He clearly didn't want me to leave earlier than December. I hate this powerless feeling I'm in and it just angers me that someone can keep all of a thousand Euro or part of it.

Any advice please?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

He can't withhold the deposit. Contact Threshold and ask them for advice on what to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Afuera

He won't be able to get away with this and is just chancing his arm here. Maybe you could flip things back on him to give him the frightners?

You could tell him that you've been in touch with PRTB and Threshold and that there 've suggested three possible options to resolve the issue:

Option 1) He gets an intermediate to perform an inspection when you're moving out and the deposit is returned at this time
    Option 2) He transfers the deposit automatically into your bank account when you move out, trusting that all is in order
    Option 3) He can keep the deposit but you can sell the TV, and kitchen appliances in the appartment to cover your shortfall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭nitrogen

Thanks for the tips and names but I should have stressed I am in the UK. Although, I'm trying to find similar organisations here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Afuera wrote:
    He won't be able to get away with this and is just chancing his arm here. Maybe you could flip things back on him to give him the frightners?

You could tell him that you've been in touch with PRTB and Threshold and that there 've suggested three possible options to resolve the issue:

Option 1) He gets an intermediate to perform an inspection when you're moving out and the deposit is returned at this time
    Option 2) He transfers the deposit automatically into your bank account when you move out, trusting that all is in order
    Option 3) He can keep the deposit but you can sell the TV, and kitchen appliances in the appartment to cover your shortfall.
    option 1 is the only workable solution here...anything else is messy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Afuera

Lex Luthor wrote:
    option 1 is the only workable solution here...anything else is messy

I agree. If the OP showed the landlord the three options available to him, I'm sure he'd see the sense in option 1 as well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement