Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SQL ServeAHHHHHH

• 18-10-2006 10:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭

I know that this is probably staring me in the face but... I recently installed a 3 month trial version of SQL Server 2005. It covered my needs for a small RDBMS on the back of an accounts system, so I went and bought a number of user licences and a server licence from a reseller.

I got all the appropiate licence information etc...However, I can find nowhere on the trial version where I can install the licence key and convert the trial version to the full version. I've spent a couple of hours on the net and on the server looking, but nothing jumps out at me. Anybody any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Sometimes hidden in the about section of programs.

If it has a system tray icon, try right clicking and look for an about or registration. Ms use a key icon for this kind of thing usually.

They put it anywhere in programs, it's kind of ridiculous. I had to go to avasts website to find where to enter the bloody new registration key I had to get to update the definitions for the free version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Its been a while since I registed one (last Jan) But I seem to remember that it was under the help option. If you can't find it by tomorrow, drop me a PM and I'll have someone check it out for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Ok 2 ways to do this

1 - If it hasnt expired, just run the setup, it will identify the existing installation and run an upgrade check.If its possible just use the wizard and away you go.

2 - If it has expired, backup your dbs... uninstall SQL Server, then install the retail version.(you will need the media) See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/914158 for details

Ideally what you should do, is backup your dbs, uninstall the eval and install a fresh instance of the new edition.

WARNING: Take all this with a good dose of BackItAllApFirst for your own sanity and keeping some expletives off the web :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Thanks for the replies guys, really appreciate it. A couple of things:

1) I don't reall see a help option anywhere on any of the utilities that come with SQL Server 2005.

2) I have no media, just the eval version and the licences.

I've read the link you put up Ginger, thanks. It looks like I will have to bring the system down for a couple of hours before I can get it properly installed.

TBH it seems like a bit of a hack if you cannot upgrade the eval version to the full version.

What I have done, in the interim, is found a bug in the eval version which seems to allow the server run beyond it's eval time.

~Once again, thanks guy's for your responses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Hey Hobart,

Ive asked around and what I can gather you have to get the Media and install it over the eval version. Bit of pain but you dont loose any info, as far as anyone knows thats the only way to do it.

Could very well be some sort of hack to get around but I think for dbs and such your better off just getting it right from the start.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Could very well be some sort of hack to get around but I think for dbs and such your better off just getting it right from the start.
    with NT4 server you had to use a hack because the official fix didn't work :mad: :mad: :mad:

moral - if you use a trial version of an OS plan for a clean install afterwards.

Advertisement