Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell PC's & Aftermarket Coolers

Options
  • 18-10-2006 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭

a budy of mine just bought a new Dimension 5150 with a Intel Pentium D945 Dual Core CPU. He was happy enough with it noise wise until it started to ramp up the fan as things got hot. He's looking for a passive cooler (or maybe even liquid) but I wasnt even sure he could get one to fit the dell. anyone got any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

This is a hard one as Dells usually don't have much space and usually have little or no airflow. Your gonna have to visualise the size of the aftermarket cooler in the case. Have you seen inside the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

I have the same pc (but with the 3.2 cpu). Space shouldn't be too much of an issue as there is enough clearance. My concern was more to do with the location of any mounting holes on the MB. ie would the cooler even line up.

tbh the noise never bothered me as I usually left mine if was running a divx conversion etc. I also have a speed controller wired to my fan so I can adjust if I wanted.

All socket 775 coolers have the same mounting, so that won't be a problem. you can't go for the Zalman cnps9500 (what i'd recommend) as the bracket requires you to remove the mobo to install. This 1 will work (if it fits), last on this page: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Thermalright_CPU_Coolers.html
    Full specs: http://www.thermalright.com/a_page/main_product_ultra90_775.htm
    Its a passive heatsink but you can add your own quiet fan

Edit: Have you looked in2 changing the original Dell fan for a quieter one, would be the easiest option

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

That thing is a monste. Are you sure it will fit in a dell ?

Height is 147mm. And from the link you gave it looks like you will need to remove the mobo for the mounting bracket.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

When did Dell conform and stop using a different mount?

• Advertisement

Sh1t, it is a bolt thru :mad:

krazy_8s wrote:
    When did Dell conform and stop using a different mount?

The mounting holes in the mobo should be standard socket 775

The Arctic freezer pro clips on IIRC. Here, 2nd from bottom: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Arctic_Cooling_CPU_Coolers.html
    Its 120mm high. Its 1 of the best coolers out there at the moment

I havent removed a dell mb before but the fact thats its a bolt through wouldnt be an issue. (looks like the ninja I used to have)

I'll pass on the links (might look at changing my own as the last one you gave a sh!t cheap)

removing the motherboard will invalidate his warrenty btw

wont matter as we both only got 90 days anyway (i work for a dell VAR so we can get part cheap if needed)

• Advertisement

its all good then, just be carefull with the screws when you remove the motherboard. dont let one drop into anything like the psu ( ive done this before ) And while its out give the pc a cleaning inside. use some compressed air to blow away dust, and clean the fans. You would be supprised how much of a dirrerence this can make.

anti wrote:
    just be carefull with the screws when you remove the motherboard. dont let one drop into anything like the psu

:rolleyes: Lol :D , did that a few weeks ago with 1 of the screws off my Zalman cooler, had to take apart my brand new Ocz psu. Took about 2 hrs to put back & reconnect everything. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭savemejebus

don't forget to hold the fan blades in place if cleaning with compressed air

Advertisement