Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NAS and active directory query

Options
  • 18-10-2006 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭

hey not quite sure whether to put this here on in windows but I might aswell start it off here.

I am looking to put a simple NAS drive on our network in work, now as it is going to be very infrequently used I don't really want to splash out on a full NAS server as space constraints means I would have to get a rack mounted one which tend to be more expensive.
    Anyway as we use active directory would it be possible to just put on an ordinary NAS hard drive and would I be able to easily set it up and maintain user restrictions or would I be better off going for a disk station with ADS support like this http://www.synology.com/enu/products/DS106/index.php

thanks in advance for any help

edit: if anybody knows any cheapish NAS units with active driectory support that I can get in Ireland could you please link or let me know where

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

Active directory support would be limited to enterprise level products
    http://www.buffalotech.com/support/downloads-product.php?productid=127 (cheapish unit)

You could get a cheap nas drive on the network but you wouldnt have the ability to manage it correctly.

It can be done cheeply but you wont like it(FreeNas)

My question is raid and backups????

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

I am not to worried about raid and backups as it is only going to be used for read only archived files that are already backed up on both disc and tape.

anyway thanks for your help but I had already found what I was looking for on the buffalo site as theit LinkStation Pro series support active directory however none of the sites selling them seem to want to put this as a selling point:rolleyes:

so cheers everyone for your help

Advertisement