Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Another Comparison (E320 CE Vs E300 24V)

Options
  • 18-10-2006 11:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

Hi all, finding in difficult to source a good SEC 500 with a good price and in good condition. I currently have a '95 E220 CE and may opt for a E320 CE or E300 CE 24V as there seems to be much greater choice out there (in Ireland). How would these compare to the E220 CE and which would you go for (E320CE Vs E300 CE 24V)? What's the difference in bhp?

Thanks again for your advice/ opinions,

Ruppert

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I had a Mercedes 320E, the saloon version of the car you are asking about. On paper it is not as powerful as the 300 24v, giving 220bhp as against 231 (i think). In reality, I found the 3.2 engine to be faster, torquier and smoother than the two 300 24vs I drive before buying it. Interestingly, the same 3.2 engine gave 231bhp in the S & SL cars, something to do with more restrictive manifolding on the W124 I believe. On the other hand, the 3.2 does have a reputation for weak head gasket sealing. My 320 had a 5 speed autobox, which was an unusual & expensive option at the time. It was an effortlessly fast car, one in which four to five cars could regularly be overtaken at a time without any feeling of stress or danger. The only bit of advice I would give you is to buy a pre-facelift model. (320CE as opposed to E320CE) Apart from looking much purer to my eye, the earlier cars are far more rust-resistant, and generally thought to be more reliable and better-built. They are hard to find, however, as the 3.2 engine was only introduced 8 months or so before the facelift. Buy a good one and you'll keep it forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

I would agree with Anan and also add that you should avoid the 300E 24V as this engine was a compromise. The cylinder head bolts had to be arranged in a way, determined by the block, that leads to premature failure !

Also the later 3.2 was able to breath better so whilst not yeilding the same BHP the torque is better spread !

The head gasket does weep on these cars, it does on the 4 cylinder ones as well, and failure at the passenger side front is common. If it looks anything more than slightly sweaty then avoid it or make the repair a condition of sale !

Other than that they are fairly bulletproof, though the Over Voltage Protection relay can cause problems, but are easily and cheaply fixed nowdays ! This manifests itself as irregular idle and difficult starting !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 ruppert

Cheers guys,

What are your thoughts on this:

http://www.cbg.ie/Car_detail.asp?CBGID=497606&ID=768483&NumPics=3&Make=Mercedes&Model=320%20CE%20Sportline&frmFilter=All

On a side note, what you (MercMad) just mentioned re. "the Over Voltage Protection relay can cause problems, but are easily and cheaply fixed nowdays ! This manifests itself as irregular idle and difficult starting !"

I currently own a '95 E220 CE which may suffer from this disease. Most mornings will start but cut out while reversing out of drive. As soon as out and driving for second or two no problem. Can sometimes idle high?? How can this be fixed?

Thanks again,

Ruppert

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Well it can also be caused by a dirty idle air motor or a split in the rubber tube leading to it !

You can check be pinching the tube when idling which should cause the car to

Advertisement