Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drogheda Gardai

Options
  • 18-10-2006 12:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭

Im finding it very hard to get in touch with the relevant Garda to introduce myself and let him know i will looking for a license.

Im sure he is probably extremly busy but i have been trying to contact him for about 4 days now. Just getting a bit worried now that i may not get in contact with him at all.

is this normal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Can be on occasion (they do do other stuff too :D ). I'd be worried if it was like that all the time, but there have been times when I couldn't get hold of my local lad for up to three weeks, and he's never done anything except by the book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭st3vo

Thanks Sparks.

With a it of luck i'll catch him soon (ish)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭flight93

Its a little game that they often play! First they (FO) can be hard to get, so you find out when they are on duty. Them when you find that out and you turn up they are sick / in court / on holiday / out in a patrol car / or "elsewhere". Then when you get all of your paperwork in and wait......and wait the paperwork just gets "lost". So always keep a copy of everything that you give them.

You might even come to the conclusion that they dont like giving out licences!

If you are persistant eventually you will get sorted! Once you dont upset them with anything additional licences or changes are generally fine.

Perhaps Im being a bit unfair?

Perhaps a little flight. I've never ever seen my local lad be anything but helpful. I know there are one or two out of the 183 supers and the few hundred more firearms officers who aren't as good as the Garda code requires, but that's hardly the standard, or we'd hear a lot more shouting and yelling than we do right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭flight93

In general they are fine, but we all know genuine shooters who have been messed around a bit. Once I obtained my first licence and got to know my FO he has been very helpful I must admit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

st3vo wrote:
    Im finding it very hard to get in touch with the relevant Garda to introduce myself and let him know i will looking for a license.

Im sure he is probably extremly busy but i have been trying to contact him for about 4 days now. Just getting a bit worried now that i may not get in contact with him at all.

is this normal?

Pretty much everytime I've needed to get paper work done in drogheda I've ended up hanging around for days, so you're not alone.

Thanks Lads.

Good to hear someone else had this problem Phantom.

If you know what i mean... its not me like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

I like to refer to them(FAO's) as the fabled "unicorn", myths and legends tell of these great creatures yet you can never f#ck!n find em'

I have never had any spot of bother with my local FAO - he serves a large area and can be hard to find, but if I need anything he has no bother driving out to myplace after duty and sorting it all out.

Same goes for the county guards - never had the slightest bit of bother or hassle, and they would have answers to any questions or whatever in ASAP.

Also with the club, our local guy has helped us out whenever he could and usually during his own time.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

My local FO can be found at his desk between 7 and 10pm every wednesday as regular as an all bran eater.:D :D:D

Hezz

• Advertisement

YEAY!!! I just got through to the FAO at Drogheda Garda Station.
    Nice guy went through everything i need and then told me i was ringing the wrong garda station!!!!! D'OH!!!!!!

I need to be ringing Laytown Garda station!

CRAP!

Arf!

lol!

I didn't even know there was a laytown garda station... funny thing is.... he gave me a different number to ring for them, but when i ring it i get through to the same station. Is there one station but different divisions?

Jesus this is getting complicated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭Dvs

st3vo wrote:
    lol!

I didn't even know there was a laytown garda station... funny thing is.... he gave me a different number to ring for them, but when i ring it i get through to the same station. Is there one station but different divisions?

If Laytown, is a part time Garda station like many around the country,
    The phone would be diverted to the Drogheda station,
    when nobody answers it I guess.

Call to the Laytown station and see if you get them in,
    if not, there may be hours posted in the window,
    stating when the station is manned.

Dvs.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Keelan

st3vo wrote:
    YEAY!!! I just got through to the FAO at Drogheda Garda Station.
    Nice guy went through everything i need and then told me i was ringing the wrong garda station!!!!! D'OH!!!!!!

I need to be ringing Laytown Garda station!

CRAP!

Yes, thats why he was so nice, ....he new he did not have to deal with your application.:D

Keelan.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

st3vo wrote:
    lol!

Yeah laytown's phone is diverted, also the hours that layown is staffed is quite short, so make sure you ring up to find out when it's open. The guy that handles the licences there is very decent and helpfull.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 wex

st3vo wrote:
    lol!

The Station in Laytown is only manned part time, but the FO there is sound, when you ring the Laytown station when unmanned your call is routed through to the Droghda station automaticaly.
    It is also helpful to get to know the regulars in the Gun Gallery in Drogheda, great service and inded advice on all sorts.

Once again... Excellent advise and help!

Thanks lads. Im going shooting with chopperdog on sunday in courtlough so we'll see how it goes from there. With a bit of luck he wont think im a complete **** head and tell me i shoud be no where near a spud gun never mind a shotgun!

Advertisement