Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Broadband without NTL tv?

Options
  • 18-10-2006 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry if this has been asked before (it's a safe bet it has, but I didn't find it), but, like so many people I'm looking for a new broadband provider. I'm currently with UTV for phone and net, but it's getting expensive so I'm moving on.

I was thinking of switching to NTL and was wondering if you have to have to be signed up to NTL cable in order to sign up for NTL broadband? I got rid of NTL ages ago because I got Sky digital and so I've no need for cable television. So can you get NTL broadband on it's own?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Did you check NTL's website? www.ntl.ie - Internet - FAQ
    8. Do I need to subscribe to cable TV to get ntl Broadband?
    Yes. However if you are not a current ntl TV subscriber, we may 
    have a special offer for you. 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭stanley1

Basic TV package needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Im gonna go with NTL and get the tv package too even though I dont want cable tv. They give it to you for 5 euro a month on top of the broadband...which is the second cheapest next to Smart (smart dont operate in my area).

Its gonna work out 45 euro a month for tv and 6 mb 40GB capped broadband. Not too bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Tusky wrote:
    Im gonna go with NTL and get the tv package too even though I dont want cable tv. They give it to you for 5 euro a month on top of the broadband...

Is this for new subscribers only?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Tusky wrote:
    Im gonna go with NTL and get the tv package too even though I dont want cable tv. They give it to you for 5 euro a month on top of the broadband...which is the second cheapest next to Smart (smart dont operate in my area).

Its gonna work out 45 euro a month for tv and 6 mb 40GB capped broadband. Not too bad.

Basic TV is normally €20, so I assume that is only for the first 12 months.

On the other hand, even with Sky, NTL basic TV is handy for kitchen, bedrooms, etc. as you can conect it to as many TV's as you like.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 DJW7

I wanted NTL BB when i moved in to my new house around 4 or 5 months ago, but only if i could get the BB on its own as I had ordered Sky

I rang up and inquired about this and they said that I could get it on its own. so when I moved in I rang to order and I ws told that I had to take the basic cable. I said that I was told I didn't have to but I got nowhere with the Customer service rep.

I was about to try elsewhere, when I said I'd try NTL again, so I rang up and was told that I if I sign up for NTL BB I'd get 3 months free BB, 12 months Free Basic Cable and 6 months free trial of NTL digital. So I took this offer and made sure that they I didn't have to keep the digital after 6 month

I've received my first Bill from them last week, and its probably the most confusing bill I've ever received, with credits and debits all over the place and its looks like they've started to charge me for the basic cable.

I haven't had a chance to ring them yet, but will be doing so soon.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

DJW7 wrote:
    I wanted NTL BB when i moved in to my new house around 4 or 5 months ago, but only if i could get the BB on its own as I had ordered Sky

I rang up and inquired about this and they said that I could get it on its own. so when I moved in I rang to order and I ws told that I had to take the basic cable. I said that I was told I didn't have to but I got nowhere with the Customer service rep.

I was about to try elsewhere, when I said I'd try NTL again, so I rang up and was told that I if I sign up for NTL BB I'd get 3 months free BB, 12 months Free Basic Cable and 6 months free trial of NTL digital. So I took this offer and made sure that they I didn't have to keep the digital after 6 month

I've received my first Bill from them last week, and its probably the most confusing bill I've ever received, with credits and debits all over the place and its looks like they've started to charge me for the basic cable.

I haven't had a chance to ring them yet, but will be doing so soon.

They must have headhunted some of BT's billing staff!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 DJW7

well i did get bills, but because everything was free, i got blank bills, this was the first with anything on them

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Did you check NTL's website? www.ntl.ie - Internet - FAQ
    8. Do I need to subscribe to cable TV to get ntl Broadband?
    Yes. However if you are not a current ntl TV subscriber, we may 
    have a special offer for you. 

Yeah, I was wondering about that "special offer". They replied to a mail I sent them and said that, as expected and stated above, you do need to get the basic cable tv. Ah well.

Advertisement