Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

any info on addon antenna for ripwave?

Options
  • 18-10-2006 1:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭

i got ripwave from irish broadband installed,where do i get the addon antennae to boost the signal,?is there a speciffic type,antennae , for ,IBB,do i get it from ibb,or peats/ maplins .is it connected thru the pc,or to the ripwave unit.i,m getting 3 bars ,is there a way to improve the signal?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

If its that bad you probably need the Breeze product they have ( antenna on the roof yokie) . Last one of those I looked at worked at 3.5ghz, so antennas wouldn't be that common ( are available though ) . I don't think theres an external antenna connector either.
    Also those yokes are probably expensive enough, and they wouldnt be happy with them being butchered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

gamer wrote:
    i got ripwave from irish broadband installed,where do i get the addon antennae to boost the signal,?is there a speciffic type,antennae , for ,IBB,do i get it from ibb,or peats/ maplins .is it connected thru the pc,or to the ripwave unit.i,m getting 3 bars ,is there a way to improve the signal?
    Sponge Bob just posted this link in a different group.

Note that these antenna say their for 2.6GHz Ripwave - I think IBB are using 3.5GHz, so this might not work for you, but it's a start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

bushy... wrote:
    If its that bad you probably need the Breeze product they have ( antenna on the roof yokie) . Last one of those I looked at worked at 3.5ghz, so antennas wouldn't be that common ( are available though ) . I don't think theres an external antenna connector either.
    Also those yokes are probably expensive enough, and they wouldnt be happy with them being butchered.
    The "ear" on the Ripwave Modem is removable (at least it was on the older ones) and that's where the replacement antenna would plug in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Moving to broadband

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Foxwood wrote:
    The "ear" on the Ripwave Modem is removable (at least it was on the older ones) and that's where the replacement antenna would plug in.
    Happy days so , I know they used to have some 2.4ghz ripwave stuff too , i think its stamped on the bottom of it, have a look before you go shopping.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Irish Ripwaves are 3.5ghz not 2.6Ghz , see here for example

http://therfwave.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=39&products_id=113

and the principle

http://www.therfwave.com/html/unwired.html

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭gerryo

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Irish Ripwaves are 3.5ghz not 2.6Ghz , see here for example

http://therfwave.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=39&products_id=113

and the principle

http://www.therfwave.com/html/unwired.html

Interesting information!

I'm amazed Ripwave users get reception al all, how near to the transmission site do you need to be?

If you live in a basement flat, & need an external antenna, would think the Breeze product might be a better technical solution, although the extra € is significant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

i have the ripwave box, in front top window,then have 30ft rj45 cable going to pc downstairs, getting 5 bars, reception good,says on prog ,i,m 4500ft to aerial location,in reception statistics.i was getting 2bars downstairs,i had to move box.you need to have box upstairs if there a building in front of your gaff.is it easy to take off ripwave ear, i dont want to damage this modem,it belongs to ibb.its ok,if you cant get ntl bband or eircom bband or you are on a budget,loads up webpage in 2 secs approx.getting all green bars, signal, 5bars reception in lower box ,if you know what i mean.its 18e per month.if you live in a basement flat ,just get a 40/30ft ,cable cable has no effect on the signal strength,works like a modem,router.you,ll need a esb socket to power the ripwave box, plus a long cable.is there anyone sells thoses aerials in dublin.or uk.? ripwave is los ,according to the manual.

Advertisement