Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[October 18] NRPAI meeting re CJA2006

Options
  • 18-10-2006 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭

Not sure why noone put this into the Upcoming Events thread...
    Tuesday, October 03, 2006.

FAO:- SSAI Committee – NGB Secretaries – Club Committees’ & Individuals

RE: S.S.A.I. Meeting re Implications of Criminal Justice Act 2006 (CJA-2006).

The SSAI have scheduled an important meeting for all NGB’s – Clubs & Individuals for Wednesday18th October 2006 at 8.00 pm sharp. The venue is the Abbeyleix Manor Hotel, Abbeyleix, Co Laois.

It is essential that each NGB, Club and Group is represented by at least a minimum of 2 delegates. Additionally I need you to confirm by E-MAIL whom is attending so that we can plan in advance for the expected numbers.

Sections of the CJA-2006 are now signed into Law. This legislation has a direct impact on OUR sport. CJA-2006 places obligations on all NGB’s - Clubs and Groups. The SSAI have scheduled this meeting to ensure that you and your NGB, Club and Group are aware of the implications of CJA-2006. The agenda for this meeting is listed below:

Agenda.

o Criminal Justice Act 2006.
    o Range Construction and Range Compliance.
    o SSAI Development.
    o Register of Clubs.
    o Future Courses of Action.

Your Speakers will be: Declan Cahill - Chairman SSAI, Declan Keogh – Chairman F.L.A.G. & Kieran Barry - National Development Officer SSAI.

NB: Confirmation of attendance is required to enable us effectively plan this important event on Wednesday 18th October at the Abbeyleix Manor Hotel. Should your Committee Executive or Committee Members be unable to attend please nominate a representative as ALL shooting groups need to have representation at Abbeyleix on the 18th of October 2006.

Best regards,
    Patrick Herlihy,
    Secretary - SSAI.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Can 'Paddy Public' attend, does anyone know, or is it strictly for accredited representatives of official organisations?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 176 ✭✭Leupold

The notice says "FAO:- SSAI Committee – NGB Secretaries – Club Committees’ & Individuals " so a fine gentleman like yourself is always welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

Rovi wrote:
    Can 'Paddy Public' attend, does anyone know, or is it strictly for accredited representatives of official organisations?

:D:D You have to be able to shoot straight first Rovi:D :D

See you there later;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

:D:D You have to be able to shoot straight first Rovi
    Will there be a test?

/runs off to empty contents of gun safe into car boot

Rovi wrote:
    Will there be a test?

/runs off to empty contents of gun safe into car boot

:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Well come on lads, don't be shy, let us know how it went...

Very informative meeting. Points covered: Update on current situation with draft restricted firearms list. Clarification of range authorization. Further development of the sport. Some very usefull info and proposals.

Could you give those of us who weren't able to make it some more detail Sidney?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 JunkieW

Well, it went on for over three hours, lot of discussion on the restricted firearms list and various calibres. Meeting with DoJ was described as being very useful and oh yeah a lot of talk about range engineering (all about outdoor ranges, buttstop height etc.)

Money.... lots of it... the SSAI want people to pay €10 a week and will give €500 towards the cost of bringing ranges up to standard. A range engineer was introduced and he'll do a range assessment for you for €4500 (sounds a bit like pre NCT testing only more expensive).

One club had to spend 20 grand and had to move 70,000 tonnes of earth to get their range up to standard as far as I can remember. I'm hoping that a written record of the meeting will be produced somewhere as I can't remember all the details (there was an awful lot of procedural stuff that I tuned out of).

Sorry if I've got anything wrong, but I was a bit tired after having driven across country to get to the meeting and hadn't time to get anything to eat :(

A range engineer was introduced and he'll do a range assessment for you for €4500
    This is the official NRPAI range engineer?
    Did anyone ask how he got that appointment? What his qualifications are and why he's a better candidate than anyone else?

Thanks for the post Junkie...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭mosulli4

All,

Any indication of what is on the restricted firearms list so far?

thanks

mosulli4

Representatives from 22 clubs came from all over the country including Northern Ireland.The meeting last night covered 3 main subjects:
    1. Declan Keogh updated us on the progress of discussions with the Garda and Justice on the draft details of the commencement orders for the CJA including the draft list of restricted firearms. This is still a draft and will change. The key message was that a dialogue was happening and the officials involved are listening to the input from the SSAI and FLAG. There is no point is discussing the details of what is or is not on the list until it is finalised. A pragmatic approach is being taken by both sides.
    2. A member from Fermoy rifle club described the steps they have taken to get ready to meet the likely Range requrements and described in some detail, some of the rules governing backstops etc. He also offered that the SSAI and the clubs who have been through the process, will provide whatever advice and help they can give to any clubs that need help. Professional advice is also available from engineering companies, one of which has been used by one club. The contact details for this company were provided. You can get off your usual high horse on this one Sparks as their is no "official" SSAI company or recommendation to use any particular one.
    3. The development officer for the SSAI described his role and activities, including his view of how money might be raised for development of facilities.This was an idea for discussion and not a request.
    A lot of good information was shared with the attendees but the key message was for all clubs to recognise that the range regs will have to be met and they should take action now to enable their range to be approved by mid next year.

their is no "official" SSAI company or recommendation to use any particular one.
    Good to know, because that was not what I'd heard from sources outside this forum. And watch the personal stuff, would you leupold? It was a valid question.

On the funding issue, was any mention made of using the Department of Sport's Capital grant scheme to fund range upgrades?

Sparks wrote:
    Good to know, because that was not what I'd heard from sources outside this forum. And watch the personal stuff, would you leupold? It was a valid question.
    So no colouration or judgement was implied in the way you phrased the question?
    Sparks wrote:
    On the funding issue, was any mention made of using the Department of Sport's Capital grant scheme to fund range upgrades?
    Yes, clubs were urged to check out the conditions and apply before the close date.

Leupold wrote:
    So no colouration or judgement was implied in the way you phrased the question?
    Nothing personal was in that question and up to this point I don't think anyone who's not been involved in the NRPAI scrapping even thought there was something personal about it, to be honest. Putting anything personal in there would have been unproductive but the question had to be asked.
    Yes, clubs were urged to check out the conditions and apply before the close date.
    Excellent. I'm guessing there wasn't time to prepare copies of the application forms and conditions?
    (links included for those interested).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Can I just point out that if you are applying for Sports Capital Grant for range improvements that

a) You won't be notified of your success or failure until at least April of next year and
    b) You can not proceed with any works until you have been grant approved. even then, you still have to go through a fresh tender/quotation process before any money changes hands.

So if you want to get a grant to bring your range up to standard, you won't have it up to standard until probably June or July of next year at best (depending on the amount of work to be done).

Advertisement