Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trivium - melodic thrash metal?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Ph3n0m wrote:
    20 years from now.....Trivium who?

Actually, thats all funny, because the band members chose the name Trivium, which is Latin for the intersection between the three schools of learning: grammar, rhetoric and logic, because they liked the way it implied an open-mindedness to different styles, and summed up their musical aesthetic.

So I guess their next album can be a country effort and we cant do a bloody thing about it, except not buy it of course, and their "integrity" will not be personally attacked...clever how they did that there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

Actually, thats all funny, because the band members chose the name Trivium, which is Latin for the intersection between the three schools of learning: grammar, rhetoric and logic, because they liked the way it implied an open-mindedness to different styles, and summed up their musical aesthetic.

So I guess their next album can be a country effort and we cant do a bloody thing about it, except not buy it of course, and their "integrity" will not be personally attacked...clever how they did that there

eh? their integrity? latin? rhetoric? wtf?

they classed themselves as thrash - not very open minded when they completely disagree with the "insert label of the month" that they are tagged with

so doesnt that make them hypocrites?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

You see, the thing is, back in the 80's thrash was the mixing between metal and punk. D.R.I. naming one album Crossover and another Thrash Zone does not a genre make. Crossover came out in 87, Thrash Zone in 89 and the term thrash was used long before this, crossover too. As I recall, Crossover was hinting at their crossover from punk to metal, not coining another category. One could argue that the first Suicidal Tendencies album, released in 1983, was between punk and metal, but more on the punk side too. The likes of Bad Brains, Crumbsuckers, Biohazard etc straddled this line too. There was no crossover thrash term back when there was thrash and crossovers taking place, there was just thrash and punk. It just seems to be another meaningless sub-categorisation applied retrospectively, which makes no sense because all the bands mentioned so far in these categorisations sound nothing like each other. I remember the days when people just used to listen to music, rather than worry what section HMV would put it in :p

So metalcore is a mixture of hardcore and thrash, whereas crossover is a mixture of thrash and hardcore? ;)

These are fantastically funny. If I didn't know better, I'd say it was a few lads having a laugh seeing how many terms they could come up with and how many of the same bands they could cross-reference to basically say the same thing - metal mixed with punk :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thrash_metal
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metalcore
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossover_thrash

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moshcore

I nearly wept and so did baby jesus

Moshcore, also known tough guy hardcore, old school metalcore, beatdown hardcore, and heavy hardcore, is a style of metalcore.

• Advertisement

Ph3n0m wrote:

Moshcore, also known tough guy hardcore, old school metalcore, beatdown hardcore, and heavy hardcore, is a style of metalcore.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

If I wasn't such an attention seeker, that would be my new sig. Oh man, my sides hurt :D

Doctor J wrote:
    Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

If I wasn't such an attention seeker, that would be my new sig. Oh man, my sides hurt :D

its now my signature ;)

Oh man get this... CRUST PUNK!!! :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crust_punk

Ah hah hah hah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha hah hah hah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha hah hah hah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha hah hah hah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha hah hah hah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha hah hah hah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha hah hah hah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha hah hah hah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha hah hah hah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha hah hah hah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha hah hah hah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha :D

Oh wait a minute, my bad. D.R.I. weren't punk, hardcore, thrash, crossover thrash or metalcore, they apparently were dun dun duuuunnnnn... Thrashcore ha ha ha

Moshcore is considered as the simplest expression of metalcore, with songs averaging around one or two minutes in length and written in a tradition closer to 1980s hardcore with traditional elements such as mosh breakdowns and singalongs,

breakdowns and singalongs???? WTF?

oh wait...bwhahahahahahahahahahaha!

• Advertisement

Yeah, you all croon a nice ditty in the hard shoulder while you wait for the AA to fix the oul Corolla

and because of all that we get

Mathcore (also known as tech. metal, tech. hardcore, and math metal) is a style of metalcore recognized for a high level of technical musicianship. The subgenre has its roots in bands like Deadguy, Converge, Kiss It Goodbye, Training for Utopia, Botch, Turmoil, Coalesce, Bloodlet, Groundwork, Resurrection, Acme, Nerv, and Starkweather.

and

Swedecore (also known as Gothencore and melodic deathcore) is a nickname for the most common style of metalcore music today, combining the melodies and guitar harmonies of melodic death metal bands such as In Flames and At the Gates with the aggressiveness and breakdowns of late 1980s American metalcore.

I'm going to start hardmathcore, a band of crazy mathematicians who do long division without calculators

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭neGev

Sssssssshh, don't let Roadrunner hear you or they'll be all over hardmathcore as the new trend. Then all those Central Bank kids will dump their HIM and Slipknot hoodies for Bleeding Calculator and Slit My Arithmatic. Apocalypse is nigh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Power Violence tbh! :D

As for Trivium, meh as much as I dislike some of the stuff on Ascendency, the horrible woo hoos of Anthem and Heafy's new found arrogance/ignorance I really couldn't say they were ****e.

For one the little bastard can play me under the table. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭finbarr

How about "Applied-mathcore" or "Algebra-core"....
    This labelling thing is the stupidest crock of ****e. Can't something just be good or bad. ...and to the person claiming that COC and Nuclear Assault were "True metalcore"???? What are ya ****ing like??? They are metal bands. Pure.And.Simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭Black NG-60-90

Ok i'm confused now.... i think i need to lie down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Doctor J wrote:
    Oh wait a minute, my bad. D.R.I. weren't punk, hardcore, thrash, crossover thrash or metalcore, they apparently were dun dun duuuunnnnn... Thrashcore ha ha ha

You should try http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_hardcore cause ya gotta remember to praise God while singing your guts out! Hail Jesus, mother****er! lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Vikings were from Scandi so yeah i guess Finland. Haha this thread was meant to be about Trivium, we've gone way way waaay off topic :)

Finland isn't in Scandinavia. There was a Finnish girl in my class and she took offense to me calling her a Scandinavian. :o

As for genres, I demand stringent scientific tests to determine the heritage of all bands. I want DNA and mitochondrial DNA tests to see how they've changed over time and we can then we can start compiling a complete taxonomy of musical genres. We can publish in esteemed journals and, being the most qualified here, Doctor J can lead the research.

John wrote:
    Finland isn't in Scandinavia. There was a Finnish girl in my class and she took offense to me calling her a Scandinavian.
    It is, if you know your geography.

• Advertisement

I think calling a Finnish person Scandinavian is like saying we live in the British Isles. Anyway, beside the point much. Trivium are cack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I wish I could convince my mainstream metalhead friends that Trivium really are crap, but they won't listen and just waffle on about how the guitar solos are so technical or something and that they're the most talented music around today...

How can I convince them otherwise?

JC 2K3 wrote:
    I wish I could convince my mainstream metalhead friends that Trivium really are crap, but they won't listen and just waffle on about how the guitar solos are so technical or something and that they're the most talented music around today...

Don't worry, they'll figure out eventually.

JC 2K3 wrote:

show them that wiki with all the different types of -core or show them this thread and the laughter that ensued :)

or any of the parody videos :)

Or just get them to stop talking about how "great" the solos are and listen to the ****ing CD. That should make them realise they're ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Devious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Devious, its tough not to forget that. I remember I showed my friends that one day, quite a few tears were shed. Yeah, Trivium suck for the best part, it'll be interesting to see this "melodic thrah metal" done live

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

The problem is, the solos are actually good. :( I've learned some, just because they in themselves are cool.

The solos do sound good actually. I remember the first time i heard them, i was watching tv one night and i switched over to scuzz. I caught the beginning of the solos in Like Light To The Flies, or whatever. And me being a big Maiden saddo thought it was pretty awesome, then Matt Heafy went and opened his mouth and i thought "Ah ****" and changed the channel straight away.

• Advertisement

The solos do sound good actually. I remember the first time i heard them, i was watching tv one night and i switched over to scuzz. I caught the beginning of the solos in Like Light To The Flies, or whatever. And me being a big Maiden saddo thought it was pretty awesome, then Matt Heafy went and opened his mouth and i thought "Ah ****" and changed the channel straight away.

musically I have nowt against Trivium - they are by no means the worst band (musically) out there. But Heafy's vocals (if you can call them that) - just make me cringe at the best of the times, and the worst of times, I just want to cut my ears off

Advertisement