Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turbo Trainer or Indoor cycling machine

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Those things can be noisy, I have heard them in houses and it sounds like a dull drilling going on from miles away, very "basey". That is one with a windmill as the resistance.
    Dunno which is best from your link, I always wanted one that would generate electricity, I would plug the TV in and have it as motivation (cycle or miss your show). I think these type are available, I have seen DIY ones too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭junii

Thanks for the info. My real question and sorry because I wasn't very clear but a turbo trainer or a cycling machine like in the gym?

cycling machines are quite noisy too aren't they?

Thats a good idea about generating electricity. Renewable, eh?!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Gym-like trainer vs turbo trainer - With this choice I'd go with turbo trainer because you'd be riding your bike and getting used to it.

I've often wondered about the roller trainers where the bike is not supported. It's a more natural feel apparently, though starting off and stopping could be a little scary at first. I don't know the price of the other options to see if it's good value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭junii

daymobrew wrote:
    Gym-like trainer vs turbo trainer - With this choice I'd go with turbo trainer because you'd be riding your bike and getting used to it.

I was thinking that myself.

Can those roller trainers give resistance?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

junii wrote:
    Can those roller trainers give resistance?
    I doubt it but a shop can confirm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭cerebus

Turbo trainer tends to be a lot more portable than a gym-style machine.

May come in handy - if you ever decide to start racing you can just throw it in the car and use it for warming up/down. Also easier to store.

Just to add - rollers usually come without variable resistance control, but you can buy accessories that allow you to add this functionality.

Advertisement