Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need advice on getting an alarm

Options
  • 18-10-2006 3:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭

Just bought a house and want to get an alarm is there anything i should make sure i get ? Ive seen diy jobies that include a fucntion to ring you when the alarm gos off that would seem good is there anything else that i should look for ?

Any good companies out there that dont charge an arm and a leg ? what could i expect to pay to get a a 3 bed terrece house done?

im in the north dublin area.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Alarms are one of the things which come up on a regular basis. Costing could be anything between €300 and €700 if I remember from my last one about 3 years ago. This was an Aritech and would be highly regarded in the business. The house I am in now has an Astec which may be the one you are referring too that has the dialler although I don't have it hooked up. I think professional installers would look down on the Astec as it is more DIY aimed, although mine works fine and I have had no problems with it.

In terms of what you need, I think all windows and doors downstairs should have contact and shock sensors, and maybe just go for shock sensors upstairs. It would also be good to have a infrared sensor in ethier your hall, kitchen and landing if you can stretch to it. Obviously the more you get, the more it will cost.

I can't give any names of installers myself, but i'm sure other users will post them (use PM for mobile no's pls). If and when you do get it installed, ask the person who is doing it about getting the contact sensor on the panes of glass downstairs (although this probably may not be possible). The only reason I say this is because houses have been broken into by removing the panes, and allowing the thief to gain entry without the contact being triggered, although your IR sensor should cover this possibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭sonic juice

Set up a skateboard at the door and Wham the intruder is on their ass!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Personally I haven't been impressed with any of the alarm companies friends and families have used over the years. Many of them offer a resonable basic alarm but only provide monitoring and repairs if the alarm is tied to a service contract, which can often end up costing many times more than the original cost of the alarm. Something they often don't mention when you buy the alarm. Also the response to monitored alarms I've seen can be poor, even though you are paying a lot more for this type of alarm.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Regarding the dialler, we get one as we thought it would be a great idea
    The problem is that it wil lkeep ringing you until you turn it off
    So if you are away from the house you either have to let it ring you until you get home (or someone gets home) or you turn it off from your phone.
    But then you have a burglar in your house with no alarm...nice.

One PIR on the landing shoudl be fine, mine covers the stairs and the landing.
    No one breaks into a house and doesnt go upstairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Also, if you house is not wired for an alarm already expect to pay considerably more(> €1000)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Theres always the wireless option too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭conleth

Just wondering, we have an alarm in our house but I replaced all the windows and doors and now the sensors are mainly destroyed and are just hanging on the wires coming from the ceiling. I'm selling this house and don't fancy having to fork out the quoted €500 to replace and fit the sensors - spent enough money already! Is there any way I can tidy this up and leave the house as "wired for alarm"?

Advertisement