Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would be the best mmorpg game to start geting into for me??

Options
  • 18-10-2006 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭

well im going to be getting a relatively good pc just after christmas..and it wil be the first time that i wil be able to play any game i wish without worrying about settings or if the game will even installa nd very low fps and stuff like that..

and since ive first heard all about mmo's i always wanted to play them...but now that i wil be able to soon..im just wondering which one would i like most to spend all my time playing..

what im looking for is..

i like the idea of being able to pick classes on both the good and evil sides..

i also dont want a mmo were there is just a good side where you just fight computer controlled enemies..so like i would want to be able to fight real players as well..

and i want a game that will be populer enough so im not on me own..:o

now i know most of yous will jus say world of warcraft..although its like one of the best mmorpg games ever out i dont want to start playing a game were everyone has already reached the top level with more than one character like it has been out for a good few years hasnt it?? is it not gettin old now??..like i dont want to start playing it now because there will be no fun in it in getting to max level when hundreds or thousands of people have done it before me..so a game that hasnt even been released yet would be a good idea for me i think..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

the new warhammer online game........www.warhammeronline.com looks like its very early in the development though and prob wont be out till middle of next year.............
    warcraft is releasing an expansion so you could buy warcraft and the expansion and level one of the new races to 70 and you will be at the same level as anyone else lvling those races
    warcraft iosnt old the graphics are slightly dated but you dont notice it really

warhammer to me looks like its going to be very similar to warcraft

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭IgsTer

alri thanks peakoutput..i do like everything about wow from what ive seen and read but i think it might be just a bit old for me to start getting into ye..although when i do get my computer i probably will end up getting in to it... :)

yeah i was reading up about warhammer..now that looks like a good game..and it wont be out til after i get me new comp so thats good thing..so ill be able to start off right at the start with everyone else.. :D

i also saw there is a new lord of the rings online game about to be released will that be any good??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

The thing about WoW is that they are constantly creating new servers, as the demand requires it. Now, new servers cant be transfered to for up to 6 months so you are guranteed that everyone playing there is going to be a fresh character starting from scratch like you. Of course, some people will have more experience with the game but some wont. This really adds to the game, I think and if you find that you want to change to another server at a later date for end game stuff, the option is there to do that too.

I would really look into it, if I were you, it sounds ideal for your circumstance. Also, there is a 10 day trial going around, atm.

so your saying if i join a server that has just started i will be playing with relativly the same level characters as me..that doesnt sound to bad at all..but now what if i want to go to a different server to join a guild or what ever with my fellow irish players am i not alowwed switch servers??

also what do you mean 10 day trial ?? can i download it now and play for 10 days??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

IgsTer wrote:
    so your saying if i join a server that has just started i will be playing with relativly the same level characters as me..that doesnt sound to bad at all..

Indeed it doesnt ;)
    IgsTer wrote:
    but now what if i want to go to a different server to join a guild or what ever with my fellow irish players am i not alowwed switch servers??

Yes, you can switch servers and not only that but you can transfer your character from one server to another, for a fee mind, but the option is there.
    IgsTer wrote:
    also what do you mean 10 day trial ?? can i download it now and play for 10 days??

Yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

eve online. despite the fact that its been out for 3 years you can after about a week fight with the big boys, seriously. you just have to know how to do it. plus the graphics are still top notch and its getting a vista makeover.

yeah eve looks alright..but i think its just a bit too old..and doesnt really interest me..the way your not like on a world in person..but thanks anyway jaggeh the graphics do look sweet doh :D

yeah ivan that does sound cooll.. i probablty will end up start playing it come next year but i dont think it would be my main mmo game..id want to get into a new game that has just been released..so i guess ill just have to wait till next year and see whats out..and what i want to do..

oh where can i get this wow trial from..? there site?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭j0e

jaggeh that true about eve? I was always told it was months off work which u could get rolled back in a matter of minutes, seeing as wow is retard centre and an endless bore ill have to look into it

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Eve is probably the closest thing to what you describe. You can, with a bit of work and tactics, beat anyone, even the players who have been there for years. There's technically no level cap, and if you get in a decent corp, you can start pvp'ing within weeks. Its also got, by far, the most variety in it, with loads of different proffesions. You can quite easily become very rich, without ever having to fire a shot.

Other then that, Warcraft is really your only decent option, till next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Joseph

World of Warcraft. Simple :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

WoW should be good on a new server when the new expansion comes out with the new Blood elf race as lots of longtime players will be starting over I would guess.

Same applies to EQ2 with the expansion in november and the new Fey race.

Eve I wouldnt think would be good for a player to start off in as Iv heard the cost of dying is pretty step.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

For newbies in Eve the cost of dieing is not high at all. You lose your ship (but you'll have insurance and get the cost back), and your items(ships guns & shields) but they are relatively cheap. Loosing implants especially the goods ones are harsh, but new players won't have them. For the vast majority of players dieing isn't a problem.

For advanced players, those in Tech 2 or faction ships, or those in carriers, motherships, titans and freighters then loosing a ship and implants can be a bitch, but due to the potential damage that they can dish out or the amount of cash they can make you, for a lot of pilots the risk is worth it.

Personally I never found myself short of cash, just short of skills.

However, from my experience with other mmos and from what other people say, compared to other mmos, Eve is complex and not as forgiving for making mistakes, people will try to scam you, trick you to your death, for profit or just or kicks. If you are stupid then you won't last long, but I think that is why a lot of people like Eve.

yeah eve is getting a vista makeover. all the ships are getting remodeled and reskinned with higher res textures. plus theres a new ship designer working on the new additions to the game. he did the capital ships already and hes working on the new battleships and battlecruisers.

(ego stroking) yay, i finished drone interfacing 5 over the weekend so advanced drone interfacing is mine. pretty soon you will be facing 10 tech2 drones you fecks :D

anyone keeping track of ascn v bob?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Eve is about the closest pure PvP MMO I've played.

Second would be Asherons Call darktide server and then NeoCron.

PvP centric games are harsh to play. You have to take a lot on the chin, be a good sport and never bet more then you can afford to loose.

Eve has a steep learning curve and despite what people may tell you, even with all the skills in the world you won't get anywhere without the infrastructure to back it up (ie. corporations help).

On the plus for Eve is you can train off line and if you are safe route trading you don't have to staring at the screen (I've had City of Heroes + Eve run at the same time :) ).

Thats another game you can Try, City of Heroes/City of Villians. However it is team mission centric with exploring second. PvP in it is somewhat lacking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭DarthWraak

Planetside Planetside Planetside Planetside Planetside Planetside Planetside Planetside Planetside Planetside Planetside Planetside Planetside Planetside Planetside Planetside Planetside Planetside Planetside Planetside Planetside Planetside Planetside Planetside Planetside Planetside Planetside Planetside Planetside Planetside Planetside Planetside Planetside Planetside Planetside Planetside Planetside Planetside Planetside Planetside Planetside Planetside Planetside Planetside Planetside Planetside Planetside Planetside Planetside Planetside Planetside Planetside Planetside Planetside Planetside Planetside

Did I mention that it is free?

www.planetside.com/reserves

100% PvP FPS MMO

sounds nice..how long ago was this planet side released??

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Its free because its crap,was average on release but total cack for a long time now.

jaggeh wrote:

(ego stroking) yay, i finished drone interfacing 5 over the weekend so advanced drone interfacing is mine. pretty soon you will be facing 10 tech2 drones you fecks :D

anyone keeping track of ascn v bob?
    I thought you were in species 5618, in Ascn. The "pos wars" are going well, Bob is leading on the killboard side of things, but we are making up ground. Tried to take one of their outposts a few days ago, (or at least start to) but some idiot forgot to bring all the fuels and the wrong type of isotopes and the 600mill+ equipment had to be abandoned to Bob. It was a complete mess up. Holed up in gq2 atm taking pot shots at passing gangs. The ship replacement scheme is great. If you loose a BS you just post the killmail and transfer the insurance money, minus the insurance cost, and you get another BS to hop into. Logistics FTW!

IgsTer wrote:
    sounds nice..how long ago was this planet side released??

It came out in 2003, but is still kicking. Its mainly FPS, but if first person shooting isnt your thing, thats fine. You can be a dropship pilot, medic, engineer (built alarms and turrets), transport driver, cloaker, enemy base hacker. The RPG element is that you gain exp for kills, assists, repairs, reviving someone etc etc. There can be up to 450 people on the same continent at any one time. Three empires you can choose from, each battling it out for freedom etc.
    Dcully wrote:
    Its free because its crap,was average on release but total cack for a long time now.

It is free up to level 6, out of a possible level 25. The game is not at all crap, it is the most intuitive online shooter that has been released for a few years.

Check out this thread for other random info...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054908092

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

The reason Planetside gets a bad rap is that it offers nothing much more then a lot of FPS games out there already do for free. For example Battlefield has ranking system where you get better weapons/skills the longer you play.

It also has adware code in it where the game shows in game adverts (funniest being Duece Bigalow movie) but tracks when your looking at an advert and how long for.

• Advertisement

Battlefield is copying the hole off of Planetside in it's latest release, in terms of the futuristic setting/weapons/vehicles , and the ad ware. However, I haven't seen an ad in Planetside yet. Maybe it's disabled in the free play system. Well in anycase hope to get subscribed soon, then Ill know...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

The ads were never patched to the euro server.

Venom wrote:
    The ads were never patched to the euro server.

My second main character is Vanu on Emerald (US East). I never saw them. Maybe my PC blocks the port for them, or it isn't in reserves...

D wrote:
    I thought you were in species 5618, in Ascn.

i am, but i have only had time to login and change skills. aside from propaganda and bob's killboards i have no idea whats going on.
    Tbh i think cyvok and most of the HC are morons but thats just me.

Idon't think the HC is too bad, just the follow through. A lack of intelligent FCs is a big problem. I think the biggest problem though is the amount of fat that ASCN has collected over the years. People who are willing to rat and mine away but not willing to help out. This war is hard on the wallet though, I currently have 1018.15 isk to my name. I'm not worried though, I have full insurance and some other ships to jump into.

Advertisement