Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Courtlough Gun Store

Options
  • 18-10-2006 3:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭

I have just recieved an e-mail from courtlough.
    So all systems go on joining up next weekend.

Just want to clear something up.
    In the mail it said i could buy a gun before my license.
    Is this true or am i picking it up wrong (as i normally do)

This was in the mail:

Quote - 'You can purchase a firearm here and you can use on the grounds while
    awaiting your licence for further information on this you can speak with our
    gunroom manager Liam Flynn.'

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

Means you can use it in the club, taking it (signing it out) from the gun room and out to the range and returning it to the gunroom before you leave. You may not leave the premises with it until you have produsced a current FAC. One of the many benifits of having a gun shop on range:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Technically you can do as they are suggesting. Assuming you are a member of courtlough, you are entitled to use any club guns that are on the club authorisation.

Whether the gun you are buying is actually a club gun, is the questionable bit.

You actually must buy a gun before you get your license. The gunshop gives you a letter stating the make, model and number of the gun for you to go into your garda station with and apply for a license for. Very hard to apply for a license for an unspecified gun y'know.

Most gunshops accept a deposit on the gun of your dreams rather than taking the full whack off you before you've got your license.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Means you can use it in the club, taking it (signing it out) from the gun room and out to the range and returning it to the gunroom before you leave. You may not leave the premises with it until you have produsced a current FAC. One of the many benifits of having a gun shop on range:)
    Actually a club authorisation allows you to "possess, carry and use" a club gun.

Exactly the same as a firearms cert, (except there is no fee).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭st3vo

I know about the deposit thing for the serial number etc.
    I kinda thought that the gun would not be aloud of the premises without a cert.
    This is actually good because im not 100% sure i want to keep a gun in my house anyway. Although a good safe would make it allot .......em..safer.

I may actually shoot a few next sat hopefully if i can book Chopperdog for a session or 2. see which one i like/chopper recomends and buy one.

Indeed you are correct RRPC regarding the possess carry and use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

rrpc wrote:
    Actually a club authorisation allows you to "possess, carry and use" a club gun.
    Exactly the same as a firearms cert, (except there is no fee).
    And of course, you can't leave the place (with the gun, that is :D ) specified in the Authorisation without a Removal Order.
    Though there was some dispute over this as I understand it and it's now taken to mean that you need a Removal Order if you go outside the Garda District you're in - but that's even more confused by the way Districts can be taken over by other stations if the District station closes for the night...
    It'd give you a headache trying to figure out exactly what's going on with them.

I understand it is outside the disctrict Sparks. But like so many of these things it depends on the local Garda and the way they see it:rolleyes:

True sidney. Problem is that the authorisation system is something that seems to have grown somewhat organically, rather than being planned out and drafted :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

You actually must buy a gun before you get your license

Not so..

Any amount of people can hold a licence for the same firearm . So if you had a friend who is a gun owner you could apply for a licence for his gun, his licence is still valid and either of you can legally use it.

But I understand what was meant by the above statement , the usual sequence of events is that you place a deposit or pay the full purchase price of a firearm to a gunshop , the gunshop in turn give you a sales slip for the gun with the details of it's Make, Type and serial number. You take this information (Make a copy) and it forms part of your application for a firearms licence at your local Garda station. (Along with details of your club membership , permissions to shoot , arrangements for security ...etc.. )

A visit from the Crime prevention Officer may follow to inspect the "safe storage " so don't fib about it. :rolleyes: The CPO will submit his report and in due course a licence should issue , You will be informed by post and must attend at your local Garda station to pay the licence fee and collect the licence.

You can then visit your gundealer and on production of the licence he will make a note of the number , and hand you the firearm.

That's pretty much it..!

Of course, it doesn't always work that way. Some things, which are legally firearms, do not have serial numbers. Paintball markers, for example. What's done in those cases is supposed to be that you carve a serial number into the marker; but what is actually done is that usually the superintendent uses the make and model numbers of the marker in lieu of a serial number.

Ah, the smell of pedantry on a crisp October evening... :)

• Advertisement

There's allot of technicality schmechnicality their lads!

The way i see it. You dont have a license the gun does not leave the club.
    You do have a license you need a safe to hold it in or the gun stays at the club.

If it were to slip out (dont know how, as whoever owns a gun should have enough cop on not to blab it everywhere)that you had a firearm at your house it only takes one stupid scumbag who thinks it would be a good idea to target practice on aother shell suit 90 degree baseball cap wearing homey

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

when my reading of the law i dont think that it is states that you have to have a safe.

Technically that's perfectly true Anxious. Right now the old section four of the Firearms Acts is what's law and it doesn't mention gunsafes at all. The new section four doesn't mention them either, but it does say "secure storage". Of course, the local Superintendent has the right to make an individual precondition of your licence be that you have to have a safe and even Dunne v. Donoghue didn't take that right away...

However, leaving aside that for the moment, a gun safe is just a good idea. And compared to the cost of the firearm and the expense of replacing it (both monetary and in terms of time and hassle), the cost of a safe is pretty small.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Sparks wrote:
    Technically that's perfectly true Anxious. Right now the old section four of the Firearms Acts is what's law and it doesn't mention gunsafes at all. The new section four doesn't mention them either, but it does say "secure storage". Of course, the local Superintendent has the right to make an individual precondition of your licence be that you have to have a safe and even Dunne v. Donoghue didn't take that right away...

However, leaving aside that for the moment, a gun safe is just a good idea. And compared to the cost of the firearm and the expense of replacing it (both monetary and in terms of time and hassle), the cost of a safe is pretty small.

(about 100-150 quid for a decent one)Plus 20 quid for the rawl-bolts to attach it to the concrete wall(otherwise its useless);)

Exactly. And what's €200 compared to the crap you'd have to go through if it was stolen from under the bed? Or, in the case of the high-end guns, the €2000 or more that you'd be paying to replace them!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

couldnt agree more itd be quite silly not to take some safety measures. youd have a fun time explaing to the f/o that your gun was robbed from underneath your bed.:D :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

To be honest I could never understand the objection to having a gun safe.
    First of all I want to protect the children , visitors and people who don't understand safe gun practices.

Secondly, I want to protect the firearms from damage from the children,visitors..etc.

Thirdly , I want to protect against their theft and their misuse and possibly saving someones life (Perhaps my own or my family's ) by preventing access to them.

Finally ... I paid good money for them , I don't want them stolen and I dont want to have to explain to the Gardaí why it was just propped in some corner with a couple of boxes of ammo.

Taking into account the value of the guns and the peace of mind, the cost of a safe ..and any safety measure, .. is peanuts !

@ Jaycee - I agree 100%.

The cost of a safe is stupid money compared to the fire arm.
    I was talking to the guy in the shop about picking one up before i even get my gun. He said ' well a good 4 gun safe will cost you around 200'
    I had to make sure he said 200! Really cheap!

As for the safety side of it.

I have only learned that the gun can be kept at some clubs.
    I will be joining courtlough next week and they allow your gun to be stored there. Im kinda swaying towards leaving it in there.
    It would be very hard to live with the fact if your house was broke into and your firearm was used to kill your family or used in something else and killed loads of people.

Allot to think about.....

I think the initial objection wasn't to the gun safes, but to how they were demanded of everyone - so it wasn't the "gun safes" case (Dunne v. Donoghue), it was the "ensure everyone follows the firearms laws" case :D

Oh i know.

My initial post in here somewhere was about about how cheap safes are and because of this there is no excuse on not having one.

I think im getting confused

• Advertisement
Advertisement