Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Affordable housing in Fingal area

Options
  • 18-10-2006 3:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭

I was wondering if anyone has applied for affordable housing in Fingal area in the last month or tow. Because it has being more than a month since I applied and have not got the interview yet., every time I call them I get the same answer and I quote (We have a huge backlog at the moment, we will contact you when we get to your file!)

Also they cannot even give me a time frame , I do not mind waiting once I’m on the waiting list but waiting for the interview for more than a month is a bit strange to me.

Are there many people on the same boat as me?Is this the norm?

Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

I know how you feel.I was on the waiting list for two years.basicly its a con-job.You're extremly unlikeley to get a hous ethis way,you'd be far better going with the shared ownership from your local authority.I just today heard ofa girl who was told a couple of months ago that she'd secured an affordable house in town..today she was told because the developer had renaged on the deal she had nothing.She was also told she no longer had a claim and would have to re-register and pay the 50 quid again.Its a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Degsy wrote:
    I know how you feel.I was on the waiting list for two years..
    Which area were you in. If you applied to Fingal that shouldn't have happened unless you specified certain areas, namely howth and surrounding areas where there has been virtually no supply in last few years. As for the original poster, a month isn't that long. Relax

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭johny28

Well, I have not specified any areas at all. What makes you think it should not happen in fingal?thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

I was referring to Degsy's post about waiting two years. As for your point about it being a month and no interview as I said in my last post relax, I was waiting two months at least for one. They'll contact you when they have time. Fingal has more affordable housing coming on than any other local authority, and nearly 25 per cent of the total so they are up to their eyes. I got a place within a few months of the interview

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Exactly. A month isn't that long. I'm like Podge, was waiting from December '05- Jan '06 for an interview. So far had two offers, but both been apartments so have not viewed anything yet. I'm getting concerned about the lack of three bedroom houses now though. :rolleyes:

Podge, what kind of property have you been offered and what exactly is involved with the final loan approval? Hope it all works out for ya! :)

• Advertisement

Were you on the local list? Could you PM me the general location if you don't mind? I'm starting to get edgy about hearing of nothing suitable since being approved in February. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭johnjay

Karyn wrote:
    Were you on the local list? Could you PM me the general location if you don't mind? I'm starting to get edgy about hearing of nothing suitable since being approved in February. :(

At the end of the day, you will buy a property at about half the price it would be on the open market. In the great scheme of things, waiting a year to find somewhere is not the end of the world. After all, there are people out there who have put deposits on properties which might not be built for years (Adamstown springs to mind). At least with the affordable scheme you will have your property within a few weeks of viewing it.

Podge, you have given me renewed hope. :)
    Johnjay, I have no qualms with waiting.. heck, a year is nothing! It's just that all the new developments I'm hearing of all seem to be apartments and I need somewhere with three bedrooms, preferably a house which would suit my family better. But I've still got a few months left yet, so I'll be keeping my eye on the letterbox till then! ;)

Advertisement