Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie "Register of Electors" campaign?

Options
  • 18-10-2006 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭

I was thinking about this over the last couple of days. Remember the campaign MTV ran in the run up to the last presidential election?

I thought it would be kind of cool if Boards.ie ran a similar campaign in the run up to the general election to encourage people to vote. Obviously it would have to be impartial but just to give people information on how to check if they are registered, how to register, how the voting process works.

Let me know what you think?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

I'm too apathetic to say yay or nay

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

RuggieBear wrote:

maybe not if boards.ie keep bugging you about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

RuggieBear wrote:

Excellent example of why we need this! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Considering the new register gets published on the 1 of November and that will stand for the next election and the window for getting on it is nearly closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Uhm, sure, it's all well and good to have a vote. The problem in this country is finding someone worth voting for.

• Advertisement

There are more reasons to be on the register the just that.
    If there are two housing estates both needing speed ramps
    one has 80% of the adults on the register the other has 15 % of adults on the register which one will you think the local councillors and TD's make sure gets the ramps first ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

Remember the campaign MTV ran in the run up to the last presidential election?

Yes. It was a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Thaedydal wrote:
    one has 80% of the adults on the register the other has 15 % of adults on the register which one will you think the local councillors and TD's make sure gets the ramps first ?

Well done, you just convinced me not to register :)

:p

Speed ramps was just an example, there are other local issues in areas and I know that the ammount of registered votes in an area does have a sway on how much time and work get put in by those seeking election.

Area's with low numbers of adults registered to vote recieve less visits on the door step arround election time as well.

Despite what I said about MTV (and it was) I think at the very least a little advert should go on the top of each board imploring people to register.

How many threads do we see (one at the mo in Commuting and Transport) where people are willing to type and type and type all day here about how bad the government is, but, sure, the others are worse, I'm not going to vote anyway.

Think of your vote as a bribe, if nothing else, hound your local TD, go to his/her clinic, make your complaint there, keep pressing, promise them theres a vote in it , its the only way.

If you care for the enviroment and like the Green party you should register and vote green.

If you like the look of Enda and Pat, and you feel they say a lot of things that make sence, register and vote for them.

If you like SF, FF, Independants, vote for them.

If there is a hospital in your area that looks like closing, and there might be an independant candidate and you feel really energised about it, you'll be doing no-one any good if you're not register to vote.

You do, of course, have the right not to vote and the right to not even register, but please dont then start complaning about how the country is run, big businesses, all of that, your mortgage, the crappy water supply, just shut up because if you dont even register to vote I dont have to listen to you, because in my opinon all you are is a worthless lazy mouth with nothing to contribute to anything.

• Advertisement

Thaedydal wrote:
    Considering the new register gets published on the 1 of November and that will stand for the next election and the window for getting on it is nearly closed.

You can still apply for inclusion on the supplement register up to 15 days before polling day.

http://oasis.gov.ie/government_in_ireland/elections/register_of_electors_in_ireland.html?search=register+of+electors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Thaedydal wrote:

That's the draft register only and it's available for inspection up to the 25th November. The final register is published on the 1st February and comes into force on the 15th Feb. Even then, as ballooba said, you can apply for inclusion on a supplemental register as well.

Dept of Environment

I saw an ad somewhere recently with a govt. website where you can register - did anyone get the address?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Thaedydal wrote:
    area's with low numbers of adults registered to vote recieve less visits on the door step arround election time as well.

You're not doing a very good job here Thaed - that's another reason not to register :D

I'd like to hear what some of the admins think of this idea.

Maybe you think it's too much hassle? At the end of the day it's you who will have to do the work in implementing it I suppose.

It depends on:
    A) Whether you actually care
    B) Whether you think such a campaign would make any difference (i.e. do other people care).

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

If someone wrote a cogent article about how to register or how to discover if you are registered, then I'm be favourable to asking the mods in politics to sticky it and support distributing that info. Personally I have quite strong feelings about what I'd like to do with my vote involving berties backpassage but thats just me.
    Make it happen and see where it goes is my opinion...

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

How to register to vote.

Register of Elector Article. There's a bit at the end that may be useful for checking if you are on the register but I don't know if it'd help.

DeVore wrote:
    If someone wrote a cogent article about how to register or how to discover if you are registered, then I'm be favourable to asking the mods in politics to sticky it and support distributing that info. Personally I have quite strong feelings about what I'd like to do with my vote involving berties backpassage but thats just me.
    Make it happen and see where it goes is my opinion...

DeV.

Coola Boola, I'll put that together.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

sounds like a great idea.

just registered the other day, you just have to fill out your name, date of birth and address on a form and then send it back using a freepost envelope.

it would be something worthy to do imho.

Linkee to where ballooba threw it up yesterday:

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055006046

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

See my signature as an excellent example of why to vote and who to vote against.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

netwhizkid wrote:
    See my signature as an excellent example of why to vote and who to vote against.
    What? "The website that never stops loading"? I'll vote against that, thanks.

Seen that site before, very funny stuff. Highly defamatory, but funny in its own way, esp the Martin Cullen stuff: How to get sued in one easy step ;)

Advertisement