Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whatever Happened to freedom of Speech?

Options
  • 18-10-2006 4:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Just reading through the "Our Republic£ Thread.

I was going to reply in favour for immigrants only to find that the thread has been closed and the Origional poster and anyone who agreed with him BANNED!

This is disgusting, I thought messageboards were for disscussion and not for one-way thinking.

As I said I was about to put a post in favour but the thread was banned. I saw nothing offensive.

Is that the Ireland we now live in? CENSORSHIP?

This thread we prob be banned and myself banned, which is also a frutiless exercise as anyone can re-register. What we need is good honest open debate and not the sterotype censorship that the moderators of these boards have.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 joelmc

it doesnt exist much on this forum. the rule of thumb is toe the line or get banned. also, dont give too intelligent an argument or you'll get banned for that too. you may read this quick cus they'll be banning me again and deleting all me posts!

otherwise though, its a nice forum and has some interesting reads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

I fully agree with you man, mods are sickening, who are these mong to block people from posting..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Sgt. Sensible

You mean why can't you call people here 'losers' and post pics saying 'east eu scum' as 'someone' did? Guess why.

0/10 :(:p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

If each of your posts in this thread is anything to go by, you each got banned by the moron filter, not for expressing your views.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Orange69 wrote:
    who are these mong to block people from posting..
    I was monged only last friday. Nice night it was.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 joelmc

Moriarty wrote:
    If each of your posts in this thread is anything to go by, you each got banned by the moron filter, not for expressing your views.

help! help! he's attacked the post not the poster!

hahaha :)

I'm a fascist moderator, we're allowed attack whoever we want whenever we want.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Is that the Ireland we now live in? CENSORSHIP?
    Censorship has always been part of the Ireland you live in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

Moriarty, i say this with the least respect for you...suck my hairy ass you pig ****er :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Moriarty wrote:
    Well yes but the "moron" filter is at work everywhere. Doubtless many here would automatically be regarded as morons on some right wing site, even if their views were relatively well laid out and backed up to some degree. The opposite is true here. Horses for courses really. You tend to get the middle to left wing jumping to quick defence in the politics forum(and others) of boards(even inc myself on some occasions and I'm no liberal). If anyone does have a different slant then by all means they should have a voice and not be automatically derided as morons even though many may be(if they can back up their stuff to some degree). It could be argued that there's enough of the boardgrown variety going 'round.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'm with Wibbs on this one.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Brotherhood

irish1 wrote:

removed due to Censorship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Sgt. Sensible

irish1 wrote:
    It struck a trollberg and sank without trace. With its captain and first mate on board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Brotherhood

It struck a trollberg and sank without trace. With its captain and first mate on board.

Now that is the idiotic sort of awnser that should result in the poster being banned.

Pointless, No debate and No Argument.

Mildly amusing though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Computer says no.....

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Moved from Politics.

People don't get banned from Politcs for their views; they get banned for expressing those views in contravention of the charter. In this case, bans were for trolling.

If you want a Politics forum where you can post ill-informed ranting tripe, feel free to set one up. If you want one where you are free to express any view you like, as long as you're prepared to do so in a rational manner and back it up with facts, you're welcome in Politics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Diogenes

Now that is the idiotic sort of awnser that should result in the poster being banned.

It was funny and entertaining.

Whats there to debate?

Boards.ie and Ireland don't have complete free speech.

The poster posted factually inaccurate and abusive comments.

Therefore he was banned and the thread was locked.

Head over to indymedia.ie for more freedom of speech, they will delete and ban posts there too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

What we need is good honest open debate and not the sterotype censorship that the moderators of these boards have.

We have already had about 150 of them in the last year alone.

I understand that having only 4 posts you are probably new to Boards.ie, and as such are viewing this as censorship of an important topic, but there are always threads on immigration poping up. This was one of the more moronic ones (Immgirants add nothing to our society and are dirty scroungers ... booo!!). If the mods don't get rid of the stupid threads or the threads designed to just to provoke silly posts then the Politics board would quickly fill up with dribble.

Hang around a bit and you are bound to find a thread about immigration that is based more on points and debates not trolling.

• Advertisement

Yup thats what happened
    Very astute of you :)

As for the re registers,I suggest ye either grow up or go here instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Why does someone without the most basic understanding of Freedom of Speech want to use a politics forum anyway?

Freedom of speech does not mean somebody else has to publish your opinions for you, indeed it entails their having a right to refuse to publish something.

In other news, Orange69 banned for abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Brotherhood banned for being a duplicate account. I love how people go on about free speech, but then are afraid to use their original usernames to give feedback.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭ISAW

Actually ther was an argument i.e. that the post was a troll. You really should read the charter before you come here with only ten posts to your name and start dictating how things are run.

and you can just do as you like anywhere else. there are laws which prevent that! You may be entitled to free speech but you are not entitled to an audience. so go home and speak freely in your own house.

You can if you wish go to usenet which is unmoderated and riddled with abusers and trolls. You will quickly be ignored by the saner posters if you partake in the childish stuff there.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Mods are sluts anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I think the sentences "The owners of boards.ie reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason" and "I have read, and agree to abide by the boards.ie rules" need to be in a much more obnoxious font size.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I was going to reply in favour for immigrants
    Personally I couldn't care less which side of the argument you were going to reply on. However given the trolly ****e you posted later under an additional username I rather doubt you were going to do the above. Like I said, it shouldn't matter and with me it doesn't. However, apart from being a re-registered user, you're also a liar.
    What we need is good honest open debate and not the sterotype censorship that the moderators of these boards have.
    Given your behaviour, no-one's going to get that from you.

Here's the post as posted. As I tend to do with re-registering users who have been banned, this post was removed from the discussion under the precedent I set for myself months ago. Interesting contrast with the above statements. And spelling the name incorrectly set off instant alarm bells in my head.

Hallo i a Nishka and i am from Poland. Plese excuse my english, I am stil learning.

I read these messages and I thank the support people give to us foreigners as some call us!

I moved to Ireland this year. We were promised lots of money from my Husbands bosses.

My Husband works for Heatons department stores in Castlebar as deputy manager. It is good wage €20,000 per year. Back home whe was marketing person and we got €6,000 per year.

Heatons came to Poland and recruited my husband.

We go to the benefits office and they give us more money.

We get FIS, Rent supplement which pays all my rent. And we get €670 per month for our 4 babies. We recently received a further €1000,00 payment for Child supplement, but im not sure if I should have go this, but it was nice to have.

We couldnt beleive how good Ireland is to us when we came here. Free House no rent.

You Irish are so luky. I tell my friends and Family how great Ireland is. My Granny and her Sister come next month to live. You pay old people much better than in Poland. I have got them free house too.

All my firnds are coming or are here as Ireland is so great. I just wish that the people who hate us could be locked up as they are evil people eho remind us polish of hitler. They really spoil it for us all.

You Police are stupid too. The other day they told me I must have car tax and insurance. But we told them that we havent been here for 6 months yet and they beleved us! Me and my husband say that if they are too stupid to check record then they are fault. And all irish do thisd too!

Anyway thanks again for the great Ireland And thankyou for the good people.
    Nice. Incidentally, it's spelled "Agnieszka". It's not even pronounced "a nishka" (there's a diphtong in the middle which you appear to have missed) but thanks for playing the game anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Sparky-s wrote:
    Mods are sluts anyway.
    Only the good ones.

sceptre wrote:
    I burn thee

ilold.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Talliesin wrote:
    Only the good ones.

isee.jpg

(Once the owls come out, its pretty much over, right?

Advertisement