Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whatever Happened to freedom of Speech?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I think it was over once Sparky-s mentioned sluts...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Silverfish wrote:
    (Once the owls come out, its pretty much over, right?

pretty much >_>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Faith wrote:
    I think it was over once Sparky-s mentioned sluts...
    That would make everything in a state of constant "overness".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Orange69 wrote:
    I fully agree with you man, mods are sickening, who are these mong to block people from posting..

If it were up to me, I'd go block you from posting to the internet completely. Someday, that will be possible as I have graphed my current power over the 12 years I've been over the internet. In just another decade I should gain control of Australia.

GO GO POLITICS MODS! YOU RULE!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

ISAW wrote:
    Actually ther was an argument i.e. that the post was a troll. You really should read the charter before you come here with only ten posts to your name and start dictating how things are run.

and you can just do as you like anywhere else. there are laws which prevent that! You may be entitled to free speech but you are not entitled to an audience. so go home and speak freely in your own house.

You can if you wish go to usenet which is unmoderated and riddled with abusers and trolls. You will quickly be ignored by the saner posters if you partake in the childish stuff there.

The scary bit is getting NOTICED on usenet. There was a case on alt.satellitetv.europe where a less sane poster noticed a troll and researched his address and lobbed brick through window.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I want free peaches!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Can we please have a sticky in this forum and in the newbie faq stating that there is no "free speach" and posters only get to do so at the grace of the admins and by thier rules to stem these threads.

I keep meaning to do so. Such a sticky would also explain the whys and wherefores in enough detail to pre-emptively bore anyone feeling like complaining :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

sceptre wrote:
    Nice. Incidentally, it's spelled "Agnieszka". It's not even pronounced "a nishka" (there's a diphtong in the middle which you appear to have missed) but thanks for playing the game anyway.

ROFL.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭ISAW

watty wrote:
    The scary bit is getting NOTICED on usenet. There was a case on alt.satellitetv.europe where a less sane poster noticed a troll and researched his address and lobbed brick through window.

Trolls realise they are a shower of bricks!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

tbh boards has drastically declined in the past year. No search options, power tripping mods (bring back Monty, he knew how it was done), the zero tolerance of attack post not poster. Does anyone recall the good old days when, if a poster was being a dickhead, you could tell him so without getting a site ban?

The political correctness has gone mad. Take the Padraig Nally thread- I made a post where I deliberately made effort not to say anything that could be seen as being racist (which is a bit odd seeing as the travellers are as much a different race as wandering hippies, hermits in the mountains or anyone else who persues an alternative lifestyle, but thats a different kettle of fish). Regardless of this I was banned. Boards doesnt have debates any more- it has one or two mildly retarded bullies in the thread talking bollix they know is untrue, and provoking posters into insulting them to get them banned. They NEVER answer questions which pretty much destroy their argument. In effect, it makes them liars, seeing as theyre posting crap they clearly know is untrue or dont believe themselves. Whats with the "no discussion of East Europeans" rule on AH?!!? I mean, come on! Personally Ive found most of them Ive encountered to be grand, fairly like the Irish in alot of aspects (dont start me on the Spanish, rude bastids! grr). Despite this, I feel that if someone wants to mouth off about an issue they have with some of them, theyeve every right to do so. Theres no rule against anti skanger threads, so why is there one against discussing anti social people who come from Eastern Europe? That in itself is racist tbh.

Bit of a rant, i just despise these kunts with a vengence, mainly because they know they are wrong but persist in talking sh1te. "wah wah travellers are disproportionately crooks are they? Provide me the stats". They know full well that there are no stats, seeing as the justice system only provides figures on nationality, not "race". Real world life experience somehow counts for nothing with these people.

I raised too many valid points here, so I dont really expect a response.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

So we were wrong to ban someone who registered as someone else to pass himself off as an immigrant just to back up his argument?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 ThunderDude

Giblet wrote:
    So we were wrong to ban someone who registered as someone else to pass himself off as an immigrant just to back up his argument?

Maybe..he was just having a laugh....
    What Tha gopher said in fairness oh be gora! Before your time Giblet the internet cared less. Only got on it a few months ago................... but I read all abut it!

The common people are here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 ThunderDude

Giblet wrote:

oh you were wrong by the way. An Smod can ban a dual account without banning an original. See Seamus last night.

Ohhh nooo!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

oh you were wrong by the way. An Smod can ban a dual account without banning an original. See Seamus last night.

Ohhh nooo!
    Often an individual who registers a second account after being banned will result in both accounts being banned. People who register new accounts (or post anonymously) just to act the spa also tend to have all accounts banned.

I left BrotherHood's original account (AdmiralNeo) unbanned for two reasons:

1. He didn't register the new one specifically for the purpose of bypassing his politics ban - Ultimately a quiet PM to me, and he can choose which account to use, but whichever one he chooses, will have a ban from Politics.

2. Banning both of his accounts would a little hypocritical given the whole, "I want you to feel happy using your main account to complain", ethos I take. That is, I tend to take a very dim view of people registering new accounts purely to complain. It's a little like taking part in a protest while wearing a balaclava and expecting to be taken as a serious protestor rather than a troublemaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Tha Gopher wrote:
    tbh boards has drastically declined ..... so I dont really expect a response.

Nice rose tinted glasses..

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Maybe..he was just having a laugh....
    What Tha gopher said in fairness oh be gora! Before your time Giblet the internet cared less. Only got on it a few months ago................... but I read all abut it!

The common people are here.
    Do you also type in English?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Ahhh sure if there was only a board where we could post what we like and make crap up.. Oh wait there are 1000's of them online.

When people say "Boards is going down hill" that translates to "The forum I post in doesn't agree with me or let me post the crap I want". I mean there are 100's of forums on boards.ie and what would get you banned from one forum wouldn't from another.

Also comments like "goading others into abusing them" (sic) well there is a report button function. Rather then shooting your mouth off use that instead, or better yet put the person on ignore.

Tha Gopher wrote:
    tbh boards has drastically declined in the past year. No search options, power tripping mods (bring back Monty, he knew how it was done), the zero tolerance of attack post not poster. Does anyone recall the good old days when, if a poster was being a dickhead, you could tell him so without getting a site ban?

Ah yes indeed. The old days, when boards was small and not growing as fast as it does today. Your so right, we should allow unlimited and free discussion just like the old days, when boards was a democracy and freedom of speech was enshrined in every charter on boards.

I miss the old days when the grass was greener,
    you could get a pint for less than two quid and still have change for the tram.
    The political correctness has gone mad. Take the Padraig Nally thread- I made a post where I deliberately made effort not to say anything that could be seen as being racist (which is a bit odd seeing as the travellers are as much a different race as wandering hippies, hermits in the mountains or anyone else who persues an alternative lifestyle, but thats a different kettle of fish).

No, it's important to distant yourself from being described as a racist because nobody likes being described as someone who applies generalisation based on hearsay and rumours to an entire sector of people.

For example, the other day I saw a filthy traveller camp and thought to myself, wouldn't it be better for the enviroment, the economy and most importantly house prices for all the travellers to be moved to camps where they could be "concentrated" into an easily "processable" form. You know what I'm saying right ;)
    Regardless of this I was banned. Boards doesnt have debates any more- it has one or two mildly retarded bullies in the thread talking bollix they know is untrue, and provoking posters into insulting them to get them banned.

Yeah, I hate trolls. They just go round posting things they know are wrong just to get a rise out of people who are usually too stupid to realise they're being trolled. I hate the way they deprive me of all my willpower and ability to restrain myself for posting. **** THEM IN THE ASS!
    They NEVER answer questions which pretty much destroy their argument. In effect, it makes them liars, seeing as theyre posting crap they clearly know is untrue or dont believe themselves. Whats with the "no discussion of East Europeans" rule on AH?!!? I mean, come on! Personally Ive found most of them Ive encountered to be grand, fairly like the Irish in alot of aspects (dont start me on the Spanish, rude bastids! grr).

Bastarding spic ****ers alright. You don't seem to able to connect the dots on this one my dear The Gopher. The spics are behind all this jewish crap. And don't get me started on the pollacks.
    Despite this, I feel that if someone wants to mouth off about an issue they have with some of them, theyeve every right to do so. Theres no rule against anti skanger threads, so why is there one against discussing anti social people who come from Eastern Europe? That in itself is racist tbh.

I hear you. Boards should either define all arguments based on anti-racism rules or not at all. You can't just stop what people are thinking. If they want to talk about stuff which is mostly based on their fear of the unknown then the mods who are the muscle that the admins are using to opress the good honest everyday joe user who make up the moral majority of this website.

There is a silent majority on boards that see the real-world no nonsense world as it is. They don't post because of fear. Fear of being banned for simply speaking their mind. Speaking the truth. Why should white irish people be restricted in what they say when there are, no doubt thousands of polish, nigerian and romanian websites where all those "minorities" laugh it up in their primitive native tongues about how cool it is to go to another country, steal a job from a decent irishman and use the money to buy a house back in their backward nation. Where's the logic in that I ask you?
    Bit of a rant, i just despise these kunts with a vengence, mainly because they know they are wrong but persist in talking sh1te. "wah wah travellers are disproportionately crooks are they? Provide me the stats". They know full well that there are no stats, seeing as the justice system only provides figures on nationality, not "race". Real world life experience somehow counts for nothing with these people.

When you're right, you're right. Real world life experience beats cold hard facts anyday. Just because I've never met a jap doesn't mean I don't know that my cock is bigger. I don't need to prove it, my mate told me so it's got to be true.

I doubt it too. The damned mods can't handle the truth.

THE ADMINS ARE USING THE MODS AS MUSCLE TO DESTROY THE BOARDSIAN WAY OF LIFE! THEY CONTROL THE MEDIA! FIGHT FOR THE RIGHT TO BE RIGHT!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

amp wrote:

GO GO POLITICS MODS! YOU RULE!
    oh gawd I heard amps voice in my head while i read that!

*whimper*

• Advertisement

amp wrote:
    Ah yes indeed. The old days, when boards was small and not growing as fast as it does today. Your so right, we should allow unlimited and free discussion just like the old days, when boards was a democracy and freedom of speech was enshrined in every charter on boards.

I miss the old days when the grass was greener,
    you could get a pint for less than two quid and still have change for the tram.

No, it's important to distant yourself from being described as a racist because nobody likes being described as someone who applies generalisation based on hearsay and rumours to an entire sector of people.

For example, the other day I saw a filthy traveller camp and thought to myself, wouldn't it be better for the enviroment, the economy and most importantly house prices for all the travellers to be moved to camps where they could be "concentrated" into an easily "processable" form. You know what I'm saying right ;)

Yeah, I hate trolls. They just go round posting things they know are wrong just to get a rise out of people who are usually too stupid to realise they're being trolled. I hate the way they deprive me of all my willpower and ability to restrain myself for posting. **** THEM IN THE ASS!

There is a silent majority on boards that see the real-world no nonsense world as it is. They don't post because of fear. Fear of being banned for simply speaking their mind. Speaking the truth.

This is quite typical of what Im talking about. Avoiding the point with pointless, jokey remarks rather than addressing the point/question. Seeing as anyone who speaks their mind ends up with a site ban, id imagine the last part of your post is true. Hey, that guy who pretended to be a welfare hogging pole was rightly banned, but then again we have other people posting blatant lies and nonsense and getting away with it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

In summary, you want to be able to post whatever the hell you want without anyone challenging it? I've never once seen you make an argument that didn't rely upon anecdotal evidence. You may be quite willing to regard that as useful discussion, but on a forum like politics it just leads to either useless noise or unwelcome soapboxing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Tha Gopher wrote:
    Seeing as anyone who speaks their mind ends up with a site ban,

Clearly not, else you wouldn't be posting this.

Some people try to speak their minds, but find they are lacking the prerequisite equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Tha Gopher wrote:

:D
    The political correctness has gone mad. Take the Padraig Nally thread- I made a post where I deliberately made effort not to say anything that could be seen as being racist (which is a bit odd seeing as the travellers are as much a different race as wandering hippies, hermits in the mountains or anyone else who persues an alternative lifestyle, but thats a different kettle of fish). Regardless of this I was banned.

For the record, this is what got you banned from AH
    The support for that scumbag Ward and his family is sickening. I dont know if any of you saw the footage of the wife and kids. Looked like grand members of society All I keep reading is reps from the Pavee Point and the Irish Traveller Movement voicing support for this scumbag. When traveller organisations voice support for him it pretty much kills any argument anyone tries to oput across that theyre all basically good people. I ask you, why do they stand up for the scum in their community? When that guy Foster shot dead the young mother in Coolock at the party and then died in Garda custody under what initially appeared to be a case of Garda brutality, why wasnt every local Coolock councillor, community representative, youth workers etc on tv demanding that something be done? Maybe it was because, seemingly unlike the travellers, they were disgusted at a member of their community commiting a horrendous crime, and they didnt particularly care if he died after a few digs from the cops, like Ward its all he would deserve. Pavee Point/Irish Traveller Movement are as bad as the filth they seemingly have no qualms about supporting. Until they grow up and realise theyre killing their own cause by supporting these folks theyll get no time from me. As for the people on boards who stick up for them, they have very obviously never encountered travellers from any nearer than driving by a caravan parked by the roadside and thinking "god those poor unfortunate people" (presumably they didnt drive by it in the weeks after they had left, seeing as the assortment of nappies, burnt cars and scorched grass left behind might change their opinion of them)

And anyone with half a brain can see why you were banned for that.

On a side note, having come from traveller parents I think I know a damn site more about them than you ever will.
    Boards doesnt have debates any more- it has one or two mildly retarded bullies...

I miss the days of attack the post and not the poster too.
    ...in the thread talking bollix they know is untrue, and provoking posters into insulting them to get them banned. They NEVER answer questions which pretty much destroy their argument.In effect, it makes them liars, seeing as theyre posting crap they clearly know is untrue or dont believe themselves.

Who the fcuk are you to decide what people do or do not believe. When did your opinion become fact. If your going to come on here and bitch and moan about free speech then you sure as hell better be prepared to encounter people who disagree with you.
    Whats with the "no discussion of East Europeans" rule on AH?!!? I mean, come on! Personally Ive found most of them Ive encountered to be grand, fairly like the Irish in alot of aspects (dont start me on the Spanish, rude bastids! grr). Despite this, I feel that if someone wants to mouth off about an issue they have with some of them, theyeve every right to do so. Theres no rule against anti skanger threads, so why is there one against discussing anti social people who come from Eastern Europe? That in itself is racist tbh.

Someone's nationality or background should not be relavent when describing their behaviour.
    Bit of a rant, i just despise these kunts...

Daydreaming of those days of attack the post and not the poster again I am
    with a vengence, mainly because they know they are wrong but persist in talking sh1te. "wah wah travellers are disproportionately crooks are they? Provide me the stats". They know full well that there are no stats, seeing as the justice system only provides figures on nationality, not "race". Real world life experience somehow counts for nothing with these people.

I would believe solid figures before what some guy told some other guy at the bar in the pub last night.

Whether they are valid or not is debatable.

Tha Gopher wrote:
    This is quite typical of what Im talking about. Avoiding the point with pointless, jokey remarks rather than addressing the point/question.

Is this how you normally describe people who support your viewpoint?
    Seeing as anyone who speaks their mind ends up with a site ban, id imagine the last part of your post is true. Hey, that guy who pretended to be a welfare hogging pole was rightly banned, but then again we have other people posting blatant lies and nonsense and getting away with it.

So you only support lies and nonsense when it's attacking something non-irish?
    I'm confused now.

Im sure if I selectively one of your longer posts it can be read as saying "up the KKK" 32 times, what exactly is your point? Wards family looked like a surly bunch. The possible proof being his son being incarcerated and iirc his wife done for shoplifting in the time since the killing. My point was that these organisations spend their time telling us about the small minority causing the problem for the majority, yet they blindly stand up for a member of this "small minority" who was nothing but a cowardly thug. If they want the settled people to have a better opinion of them, why in the name of god are they standing up for this guy? Few cared when Dwayne Foster croaked it in a cell (apart from Sinn Fein, but they have an agenda when it comes to the Gardai). Few cared when those two guys were shot dead in the armed robbery in Lusk or wherever. So should we really care more for this guy? The fact is, I and many many others on these boards have seen anti social behaviour by travellers which would seem to indicate that theyre responsible for more than 1% if crimes (as would be the case proportionately by their amount in the population). I cant prove this, I dont know, maybe the census figures for the prisons will be broken down on ethnic lines, then we will see.

edit- actually, here i found it. Now please refrain from this nonsense of them being less prone to crime, and banning people who make comments suggesting this.

http://www.paveepoint.ie/pdf/MH_Sub_Dec03.pdf

Scroll to "Given there is a disproportionate number of members of the travelling community in Irish prisons compared to the majority population"

http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=15081307

2.8%. Whats that, 4 times their percentage of the population? So there you have it. Based on my largely negative dealings with them through the years, I always assumed that travellers were more prone to anti social behaviour than settled people. I have been criticised on boards for this "sweeping generalisation", as have scores of others with similiar experiences. I have now found studies backing this up. So there ya go.

Before you reply with the fact that something like 70% of Mountjoy inmates come from 6 Dublin postcodes (I cant recall the exact stat), yes, its true. Possibly my postcode is one of them. But you dont get many Dubs denying that there are large scale problems of anti social behaviour in certain areas.

But anyway, thats all fairly OT, Billys post basically side tracked me into a Humanities forum debate. As ive said before, even if the opinion is in my view ludicrous, people who disagree with me should be allowed to speak, I never said they shouldnt. Its when it gets to the point of throwing out bans to people for no good reason (it usually involves them re telling a story from life experience to which they cant provide a link) and letting the trolls win that it gets out of hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Diogenes

Tha Gopher wrote:
    Its when it gets to the point of throwing out bans to people for no good reason (it usually involves them re telling a story from life experience to which they cant provide a link) and letting the trolls win that it gets out of hand.

Woa woa woa. You mean I've been wrong all along? See here was me thinking the posters who come out with the outrageous nonsense, and back it up with "ancedotal evidence"* were the trolls, and the one's with facts and figures, were the ones arguing with the trolls. You mean I got it all wrong? Blimey...

*my mate was bar serving at a traveller/nigerian wedding, 750 cars there were there too, and none of them taxed, and c'mere the bride and grewim, were getting shed loads of cheques from everyone so deh was, social welfare cheques see the government, subsidies these wedding presidents, cause they're cutlural so they is. And the bride she's only preggiers, and marrying yer man to get him the visa, so his fourteen uncles and 16 nephews and all their grannies can come in, and then she's going to get a divource, so she is so she can get one of em single mother allowances. Meanwhile, theres only somone from the social welfare, and an estate agent helping the grewim, pick out the houses for all his family which they'll get for free. So then the food comes out, and it's only bleeding swan a la orange which they nicked from the river. Then the fúcking fighting only goes on and broke out, fourteen thousand people killed, and half of cavan laid waste so it was...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Diogenes wrote:
    *my mate was bar serving at a traveller/nigerian wedding, 750 cars there were there too, and none of them taxed, and c'mere the bride and grewim, were getting shed loads of cheques from everyone so deh was, social welfare cheques see the government, subsidies these wedding presidents, cause they're cutlural so they is. And the bride she's only preggiers, and marrying yer man to get him the visa, so his fourteen uncles and 16 nephews and all their grannies can come in, and then she's going to get a divource, so she is so she can get one of em single mother allowances. Meanwhile, theres only somone from the social welfare, and an estate agent helping the grewim, pick out the houses for all his family which they'll get for free. So then the food comes out, and it's only bleeding swan a la orange which they nicked from the river. Then the fúcking fighting only goes on and broke out, fourteen thousand people killed, and half of cavan laid waste so it was...
    s3d5y8.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Diogenes wrote:
    ...and c'mere the bride and grewim...

There should be a gathering card entitled "My mate said" and it should have as much of that classic piece of text as will fit on it.

Advertisement