Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blocking up fireplace from drafts

Options
  • 18-10-2006 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭

I heard about these inflatable devices you put up your fireplace and inflate them and the spread out and stop drafts, etc.

Anyone know where they can be bought?

I don't use my open fire so no safety risk in putting one in

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

There was a thread on this a while back which should give you some pointers.

Link

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I think the balloon you mention and again mentioned in the link would be the best solution.

A guy I know stuffed his sittign room chimney with bags or something, and didn't remove them for a long time. After some while, dampness started seeping through the chimney and destroyed the plasterwork on the chimney breast!

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭foamcutter

Came across this. chimneyclosure
    It may be worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

foamcutter wrote:
    Came across this. chimneyclosure
    It may be worth a look.

Ingenious! At least with that device you still have both options with a small pull of a chain!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

back in 1988 we had a house fire , the upstairs fire place chimney was stuffed with clothes etc and the plastic from dry cleaning (by my sisters) anyway a spark from the downstairs fire went up the chimney and back down into the upstairs fireplace and started a fire. so i guess doing this correctly is advised!

• Advertisement
Advertisement