Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2003 Volvo v40 162,000 miles....

Options
  • 18-10-2006 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭

...Uk reg, Grey metalic, Sat nav, Leather, nokia phone kit..... Sold today in Merlin auctions.... anyone have any links to the purchase some maddman from dublin made on ebay bout a month ago....
    I seen it today and was just wondering could it have put the miles back on in such a short space of time

uk reg: nd03 rxg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bmoferrall

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Chonker

bmoferrall wrote:

3500 Ha good enough for them . Although it was an honest price for it. Doubt it will stop these people.

A little victory for the small guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

Mwah-hah-hah-hah-hah!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Chonker wrote:
    3500 Ha good enough for them . Although it was an honest price for it. Doubt it will stop these people.

A little victory for the small guys.

If another trader bought it at auction it could find itself with another hair cut for sale down the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

No that means it is being sold ex-VRT and estimate for VRT is €3500!

This is about the fifth time it's been through the ring without any takers....:D

invest4deepvalue.com

• Advertisement

Do-more wrote:

This is about the fifth time it's been through the ring without any takers....:D

Oh Yea, now ive read it properly...Doh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I wonder what they got for it at auction? Thats stupid mileage.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

They're a b@stard of a car to sell!!!!! I had one for nearly two years before I sold it.... I never want to see one again!!!:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Do-more wrote:

I wonder were there even any bids! That 162k couldn't be genuine on a 3 y.o. car. Must've been clocked... up from maybe about 43,250? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

A neighbour of mine - who just so happens to be the worst ****£r I have ever met - has one. It's his pride and joy, and he polishes it daily in the summer.

I wonder if he knows how hard it's going to be to shift?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

overdriver wrote:
    A neighbour of mine - who just so happens to be the worst ****£r I have ever met - has one. It's his pride and joy, and he polishes it daily in the summer.

I wonder if he knows how hard it's going to be to shift?
    He polishes it because he knows he's stuck with it - FOREVER!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Santa is still a clocking crook..

Can't hide from us in your grotto in Lucan, boyo :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Let's hope they remembered where they hid the service history.;)

Anan1 wrote:
    Let's hope they remembered where they hid the service history.;)

Is it possible the 40+k was a typo?? I personally doubt it.

A dealer can get 15,000 or more if he does a simple job to the car, and if he gets discovered, simply redo the job and sell it at auction for maybe 6, 7k.

Everybody on here tried to ring various places to report the matter and it seems the worst we could do was force the miles back on.

What kind of message is that going to tell would be dealers with laptops and high milage cars?

Yea go ahead and clock the heap, but If you are discovered you may have to accept a loss for the car at an auction!

I dont buy new cars, and now I'm dreading ever having to buy another second hand one.

bazz26 wrote:
    If another trader bought it at auction it could find itself with another hair cut for sale down the country.

Highly unlikely that another trader will buy it, everyone in the place knows the story on it now, when it goes through the ring it's hard to hear the auctioneer over the roars of laughter!

They would be far better off running it up North to the likes of Carryduff.

Beats me whatever possessed them to buy the thing in the first place when you can get ex-lease ´03 Passat TDi estates with 80-90k on the clock for £5k sterling.

Just goes to show the level of intelligence you are dealing with, AFAIK they moonlight by being fed mashed bananas on the "Right Price Tiles" radio ads!:D

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

That's mad that is - couldn't get rid of it quick enough I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

Chonker wrote:
    Everybody on here tried to ring various places to report the matter and it seems the worst we could do was force the miles back on.

Agreed, this is really a result for the dealer, not the people.

He should have been taken all the way.........

And remember, this is just one car out of 1000,s of UK high mileage imports

It’s just a drop in the ocean.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

Mc-BigE wrote:

More so in that we can't talk about "them", they have stifled chat on the subject on Boards --> and while I understand Boards' need to put a halt to unsubstantiated allegations, these facts were substantiated and proven so it really irks me that we still cannot speak about the fools.

Mc-BigE wrote:

He should have been taken all the way.........

I don't expect this is the last we will hear of it, it will probably take at least 18 months for the ODCA to get a case to court....

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

Do-more wrote:
    I don't expect this is the last we will hear of it, it will probably take at least 18 months for the ODCA to get a case to court....

Very hard to have a case if there's no car! and the car was sold with the same mileage as bought on ebay.

This whole thing is just MAD.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

This whole thing is so madden-ing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

Chonker wrote:

and we even had the full backing and support from Boards.ie.
    thank god we had that other wise that car dealer would have got away with selling it on before anything could have been done...

because the car in this thread is NOT the same car and any similarities are only condescend.....isn't that right mods.

And I doubt it will stop that particular rogue trader from doing it again, after all I'm pretty sure we couldnt have been lucky enough to findthe first and only one he had ever clocked.

We won the battle but will no doubt lose the war. These guys are laughing at us from the comfort of their Bentley GT'S.

For anyone out there who is worried at the prospect of buying a clocked car, there is a very simple solution: ONLY BUY A CAR WITH A FULL & VERIFIED SERVICE HISTORY. If you're buying a car without that then you're buying it on the basis that it may be clocked. It's your decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Yeah folk are still fooled by cheap UK cars with service histories from garages they never heard of. Service history books and stamps can be bought on eBay !

MercMad wrote:
    Yeah folk are still fooled by cheap UK cars with service histories from garages they never heard of. Service history books and stamps can be bought on eBay !
    True, that's why I'd always give a quick call to wherever the car was serviced. In my experience, most mechanics love to talk.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭lanno

the reserve price on this last sat in the auction was 9500 plus vrt thats why it wont sell, went through in the auction again last night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

lanno wrote:
    the reserve price on this last sat in the auction was 9500 plus vrt thats why it wont sell, went through in the auction again last night

nothing to do with the fact that the "MADD" man tried to clock the car and was caught out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

lanno wrote:

A car very similar to that one ;) went recently on ebay for £5,201.01, which works out at about €7,770. Add €200 for flight & ferry.

The lengths some people will go to to make profit never ceases to amaze me.

• Advertisement

I was out at Merlin today, it was a laugh when the Volvo came in, the auctioneer wouldn't even take bids on it. He said something like "Did they bring that in again just to annoy me? I have no chance of selling that thing, I have tried on six occasions...." And out she went, seems like the owner will just have to send it to the crusher!!!:D :D:D

invest4deepvalue.com

Advertisement