Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Debate....Round 1...Rolling Stones

• 18-10-2006 5:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭

Ok, so heres something ive been meaning to Trash out for a while, and im sure a lot of people will have major opinions on it. Leaving aside the whole Beatles vs. Rolling Stones fiasco (unless you absolutely have to mention it), Id like to see what people on this Boards think of the Rolling Stones

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I'm sure a lot of people think they are great but apart from a couple of songs I find them to be pretty bad.

Paint it black is one of my favourite songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭<bert>

I'm sure a lot of people think they are great but apart from a couple of songs I find them to be pretty bad.

Paint it black is one of my favourite songs.
    i would have to agree with you der,,paint it black is brilliant,,,and the beatles are alot better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭Alucard II

not a fan, personally. to put it in context, i do like classic rock; Skynyrd, Floyd, Hendrix, and more, but the Stones never did it for me. that said, Paint It Black & Satisfaction are quite good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

I love the Stones. What a great band. They remind me of a group of bandits who just keep on going. Fair enough the stuff they produce isn't as good as the records they put out when they were in their twenties, but no band does.
    I heard someone say that all bands should break up when they reach thirty. If the Stones did they would be considered the greatest of all time.
    As for the Beatles i would say i prefer everyting about the Stones. The members, the records, the attitude. The Beatles thought they were artists while the Stones wanted to just rock.
    Also, two words - Mick & Keith. Beats Lennon & McCarthey everyday. At least you get the impression these guys like each other.
    The Beatles produced a lot of rubbish and were reportedly awful live. "Exile on Main Street" is, in my opinion, better than "Revolver".

Come on the Stones.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Did you actually read the original post?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

Yes i did. Talking about how good the Stones are, without mentioning the Beatles is like trying to talk abot Utd without mentioning Liverpool. It needed to be put in context because everyone asumes the Beatles are the best. Whats wrong with a little rivary anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

The Beatles produced a lot of rubbish and were reportedly awful live.

While I do think this is a very blanket statement, could someone perhaps shed some light on this, where the Beatles actually crap live?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Had the pleasure of seeing the Stones in the Point a few years ago, one of the best gigs I was ever at (this from an extreme metal fan). Do they deserve to be called one of the best ever? Undoubtedly. Is there any place here for the Beatles v Stones debate? None whatsoever as the Beatles are also one of the greatest bands ever :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭MagnumForce

Yep, thats my opinion also, theyve got a few good songs, I like Start Me Up, Brown Sugar, Satisfaction, etc i.e. their singles, but all the rest of their stuff is ****e in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

The Stones v Beatles debate is a little like the Oasis v Blur debate... Irrevelant. At this point in history we should be able to look at either band without considering the merits of the other.

The Stones were brilliant. The album I listen to most frequently is Aftermath, although all of the later mid 70s classic albums are wonderful too. I lost interest in them in the 80s and their more recent output hasn't done it for me. Fair play to them for keeping it up though.

Anyone who doesn't delve away from their greatest hits records to experience the albums is really missing out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

The Stones have a few good songs... lol. The also have a few classic albums like Between the Buttons (UK), Now, Aftermath (UK) Sticky Fingers and Exile on Main St.

Maybe go out and buy some of their 60s and early 70s albums and actually listen to them before dsimissing them. One of the most amazing and prolific bands ever imo.

64-71 were without doubt their golden years but they've still done some good stuff since then. Absolute legends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Acid_Violet

I only have their Greatest Hits, so maybe I don't know enough, but a lot of their stuff seems to be just musical perfection. Everything is done perfectly by the books (of what makes a good song) and remains fresh and interesting, their music will be timeless. And they could touch on genre's other then their original without destroying their style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

They're ok, Gimme Shelter is my favourite of theirs, and supposedly they influenced Aerosmith, which is my 2nd favourite band after Zeppelin, so they're cool in my books.

Beatles on the other hand I can survive without.

Advertisement