Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flannerys Bar Upper Denmark St

Options
  • 18-10-2006 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭

Just after walking down Denmark St where the new Flannerys Bar is being built (next to Nancys). They have put a ground flr plan outside so nosey people like me can see what it is going to look like...and it looks good.Plenty of room for us smokers - allelluia :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Just after walking down Denmark St where the new Flannerys Bar is being built (next to Nancys). They have put a ground flr plan outside so nosey people like me can see what it is going to look like...and it looks good.Plenty of room for us smokers - allelluia :D

Can't wait for this place to make an appearance, should be a great addition to the Cornmarket area.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭johnmolloy554

The place does look great from the plans. I took a picture (of the plans) with my phone but cant get it off onto the pc. It also seems like there is a large first floor area with a balcony/deck overlooking the courtyard (you can see it from the street)

It's beyond me why the city council don't get together with all the pubs and Restuarants in the Cornmarket and work together to promote the place. We should be trying to get that area known as a good place for a night out, country wide.

Anyone got any news on the new Market nightclub? They've been doing up the place for ages (course, it was so crap they probably had to knock it down and rebuild it).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Yeah, that's a really good idea!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I can see the place from my office window. I'm in Cornmarket Square btw.

It's still far from finished. Must have cost a fortune to build.

• Advertisement

Finally got the picture from my phone to the PC and I'm very excited about the place. Should be a great addition to the town

GROUND FLOOR PLAN ATTACH]35448[/ATTACH

Wow! Looks Impressive. I also see that they are going back to calling it Flannery's.

It was always going to be called Flannerys. Are you referring to the "Ice & Lemon" banners that were hanging up? They were just marketing slogans but some people didn't get it. See the attached story from the Sunday Business Post

http://archives.tcm.ie/businesspost/2006/08/20/story16479.asp

Nope, I'm referring to the fact that they were called Flannery's on William Street but then changed their name to Finn's. Then they closed down the place in William Street and said they were opening up in the Denmark Street Area of Limerick. But by the looks of it they are going back to calling it Flannery's again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Pardon the ignorance but is it actually a replacement for the William St. Site or one of the other 3 Flannerys in town

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

Its a replacement the lisence was moved from Finns to there

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

cheers, was wondering about that place. It's been empty so long

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Limerick91

Was talking to Liam Flannery on Saturday night.
    He said that it willbe open in 3 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭irelandsown

Has this place opened yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

Nope and it still looks more like a building site than a pub

Big Ad in the Limerick Post saying "Opening Next Week" and there is a domain for www.flannerysbar.ie (still under construction)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

I see 55 seats in the interior plan (with a few more greyed out)......considering the lack of decent places to sit and chill out, instead of standing/getting pushed about while trying not to spill your overpriced pint, I would've thought they'd do better ?

The best city centre place at the mo for managing to sit and chill out is the Cornmarket; unfortunately the same spot is probably the worst for having a chat with mates, as the sound system seems to be geared towards a nightclub floor rather than a bar.

As a result, if you're meeting a girl or mates from out-of-town and want to catch up, the best place to balance atmosphere, seating and proper music level seems to be upstairs at Harris'...

Does any pub want to cater for people looking for a classy night out, sitting down with mates having a chat while having just enough background music to create an atmosphere ?

I thought Flannerys, given their experience and background, would, but at 55 seats (admittedly with the options of the greyed ones plus the smoking ones) it doesn't seem like it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Still not open at about 4pm today. It's getting close though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭motormouthmable

Liam Byrne wrote:
    I see 55 seats in the interior plan (with a few more greyed out)......considering the lack of decent places to sit and chill out, instead of standing/getting pushed about while trying not to spill your overpriced pint, I would've thought they'd do better ?

Funny. It's just like Nancy's backyard next door. Overcrowded, to loud, no seats. Maybe Limerick people love those kind of places?

Funny. It's just like Nancy's backyard next door. Overcrowded, to loud, no seats. Maybe Limerick people love those kind of places?

You've hit the nail on the head. If upstairs in Harris is such a great place, why is it always empty and Nancys is jammers. When I go for a night out, I don't want to go to a place my mother drinks in. You have to say that when a bar is nice quiet and relaxing, it usually means that its not a busy place.

• Advertisement

Opening looks imminent. One or two yellow jackets still about. Lights are on however.

yeah VERY imminent, as in tonight at 8 o' clock.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

yeah VERY imminent, as in tonight at 8 o' clock.

I'll have to go there tomorrow.
    I might call in for the match.

Yeah, its open. I watched the match there and I have to say its very impressive. That stone wall with the giant mirror is class and the courtyard is ideal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Was there last night - good spot.

Earlier on it was great - comfortable, decent space and the lack of seating wasn't as much of an issue. When it came to about 11pm, though, we left coz it was as mobbed as everywhere else.

I'm not sure about Limerick people loving overcrowded, overly-loud pubs; maybe some do, but surely there has to be some happy medium between giving a place a decent atmosphere and being able to have a chat with 5 or 6 mates without yelling at them; turn down the volume by 10% and stop people coming in once you've hit a comfortable maximum, maybe ? No sense in losing custom because people can't move or talk.

We went up to the old Flannery's in Catherine St at about 12, and that was chronic for the first half hour; after that, the bulk of the crowd pissed off to a nightclub and we had a great night after getting a table and talking half-drunken ****e until closing.....

• Registered Users Posts: 17 rahzor

I'm studying the milk market area at the moment for a college project, and I'm interested to know if anybody knows the architects involved in the renovation of Flannery's or also, if anyone's aware of what the establishment was originally, and how old it is. I am aware there was a cafe Reubens there before. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Ah Zombie thread.

threadnecromancyns1nf0.jpg

Sorry cannot help you with your questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

IBTL:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Zoommmmbie Thread!

• Advertisement

rahzor wrote: »
    I'm studying the milk market area at the moment for a college project, and I'm interested to know if anybody knows the architects involved in the renovation of Flannery's or also, if anyone's aware of what the establishment was originally, and how old it is. I am aware there was a cafe Reubens there before. Cheers

Can't help you but you could ring the planning office in the city council and if they can help, or just drop in and speak to the manager.

there's an old barbers next to the Printmakers, I've never been to him but he's bound to know the history of the site itself, as would the owners of the Office bar I imagine.

Advertisement