Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much further will it go? (E6300)

Options
  • 18-10-2006 6:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭

So i've been slowly increasing FSB on my E6300 to see how fast it'll go before it's prime95 unstable or the ram starts failing memtest. So far, everything is hunky dorey.

Who wants to start guessing what i'll max out at? I don't think it'll go much further somehow, but i might be pleasantly surprised. Also, check out my budget ram for overclockability :p

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Full specs, voltages, cooling etc? I'll give a good guess then........is there a prize if i get it right? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Psycopat

im gona guess a fsb of 372 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Full specs including voltages and ram speed are in the screenshots i attached. The only extra info you might need is the mobo, which is a gigabyte 965P-DS4 and the heatsink, which is this (don't laugh, please ;) ): clicky linky. Temps don't go over 50C according to my bios screen, but they go to 67 according to speedfan. I believe my bios, because i can easily touch the heatsink and leave my finger on it without it getting uncomfortable.
    im gona guess a fsb of 372
    You're already 3mhz too slow ;) Just bumped her straight up to 375 and it's still solid as a rock. The most surprising thing is that my value ram is clocked 40% over it's rated speed and it's still memtest stable. I'm glad i didn't buy expensive "overclocking" ram now.

Quality cooler m8 :D ....lol

DL core temp beta 0.9.0.91 to measure temps on the die. I wouldn't trust what your bios is reading as its from a sensor on the socket (it is on my mobo anyway). That cooler can't be any better than the stock cooler. I've got a stock cooler here ya can have for nowt if ya cover the postage.

My guess is 395fsb with looser timings, cant see ya getting much higher than that & dunno how your mobo will perform at the 4:3 divider, does that mobo even have a divider less than 1:1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

282 max with that cooler, i bet his cpu is hitting 60C or ecen a tad over now. And as we all know going over 60C isnt good.

• Advertisement

anti wrote:
    282 max with that cooler, i bet his cpu is hitting 60C or ecen a tad over now. And as we all know going over 60C isnt good.

I hit 71' on mine once, only for bout 10 mins tho. Thats with core temp measured off the chip. some peeps at xs forums are hitting 74-75'
    Allendales are a lot cooler than conroes, somethin bout the smaller cache needing less power. My guess is its gonna be the ram that stops him, can't see that clockin much further & his rams got no heatspreaders & must be burnin up with the extra voltage.

Aye, but 40% more on standard ram is very impressive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Core temp is reporting 67/68C alright. Tis wierd though, my heatsink remains cool enough to touch. That ain't a good thing ;) The heatpipe attached to the north (or south?) bridge is pretty damn hot though. I can't touch that for long.

I think i've reached my limit. I can't loosen the timings on my ram any further than they are, and i think that's holding me back. Well, that and the temps (i wish i splashed out on a better cooler now ;) )

I topped out at 380FSB. I could probably push it to 385-388 or thereabouts, but i'd prefer to leave it a few mhz below my max just to make absolutely sure i'm stable. I'll probably pick up a better cooler in a few days/weeks so i can keep the processor running at this speed during the summer too. At the moment, i can encode video bloody fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭hopeful

I cannot believe you would spend 3-400 notes on a cpu/mb/ram and then throw a £5 cooler on it!

BTW...the latest Speedfan builds are very accurate for measuring cpu temps so i would tend to go with that.

i was closest :)

What do i win ?

• Advertisement

anti wrote:
    i bet his cpu is hitting 60C or ecen a tad over now. And as we all know going over 60C isnt good.

im at 54C idle and touchin 69C Full load after 9 hours dual core prime thats at 3.2 ghz on my e6600 and arctic cooler freezer pro

Buy a better cooler m8. I might be selling a zalman soon, already lapped 2 :D

Edit: I'm at 45'-46 idle & 61-62' max load at 3.25Ghz since lapping :p

anti wrote:
    282 max with that cooler

you win nothing, i believe i was closest :D

ya gotta love little number typo's....

Psycopat wrote:
    im gona guess a fsb of 372 :)

i said 380. how are you closer :p

ah balls i said 282 :/

anti wrote:
    ah balls i said 282 :/

its ok, we all make mistakes :p

so what do I win? :p

PogMoThoin wrote:
    Buy a better cooler m8.

ah i dunno i saw alot of guys saying under 75C is ok.... maybe theirs melted in the meantime :confused: :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭shanethemofo

Psycopat wrote:
    its ok, we all make mistakes :p

so what do I win? :p
    you win his semi-molten 5 quid dabs cooler when he gets a new one :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

... and the heatsink, which is this (don't laugh, please ;) ): clicky linky

:eek:

Advertisement