Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Digiweb metro wireless router compatibility question.

• 18-10-2006 6:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭

I have digiweb metro 3mb broadband and have been given a Belkin Wireless G router from a mate in the US. It is 802.11g and model number F5D7230-4. I can't seem to find out for sure if it compatible with the Thomson THG520 modem that Digiweb uses. I called Digiweb support and all they could ask was is there a port marked 'wan' and that if it is an adsl modem it won't work. There is an ethernet port marked 'modem' but this seemed inconclusive. I don't want to buy a voltage converter and then find out it won't do the job. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

sweetie wrote:
    I have digiweb metro 3mb broadband and have been given a Belkin Wireless G router from a mate in the US. It is 802.11g and model number F5D7230-4. I can't seem to find out for sure if it compatible with the Thomson THG520 modem that Digiweb uses. I called Digiweb support and all they could ask was is there a port marked 'wan' and that if it is an adsl modem it won't work. There is an ethernet port marked 'modem' but this seemed inconclusive. I don't want to buy a voltage converter and then find out it won't do the job. Thanks in advance for any advice.
    The Thomson modem puts out a bog standard ethernet signal. The Belkin expects a bog standard ethernet signal on it's "modem" port, so it'll work just fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

Thanking you.

Also, the router (from the US) says it uses 4.5v so would something like this transformer do the job?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

sweetie wrote:
    Thanking you.

Also, the router (from the US) says it uses 4.5v so would something like this transformer do the job?
    Probably. Check the US power supply to see if it's a dual voltage power supply. I have a number or devices that came from the US that came with dual 110-20v powr supplies (though more recent gear tends not to have dual power supplies).

You should also bear in mind that some wireless gear uses different "profiles" depending on whether you're in the US or in Europe. Without doing some research into the issue, I don't know precisely why this is.

Advertisement