Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I Crazy?

Options
  • 18-10-2006 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,469 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    right, without trying to sound like someone at an AA meeting this is my story:
    im doin business, chem, accounting and french as well as the 3 compulsory subjects (all of them higher). I need 500pts to do the course i want (law & accounting UL). So after a minor road to damscus moment where I almost broke down (mixture of tests not studied for and no homework etc) I decided to do subjects i actually feckin like. So i've decided to take up two out of Geography, History and Economics, now i like those subjects and i know its not worth a $hite but i got HL 'A's in the Junior cert in geog and hist and i love the business/economics thing. So the long and short of it is languages aint my thing, i need points >>>>>>>>>>>>> Am i crazy...... any suggestions? Sorry for the whole life story thing. Thanks....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Just make sure a language isnt a specific requirement. I know most NUI's need a third language as an entry requirement. What year btw? Obviously its better to do subjects you enjoy, but always make sure you have specific entry requirements in there. And no, your not crazy, happens loads every year

• Registered Users Posts: 14,469 ✭✭✭✭cson

thankfully the powers that be at UL dont value the foreign language thing so much, so no need for french to get into UL as they accept irish as a foreign language :-D , im in LC so thats why im asking is it mad to take on hist and geog

• Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Geography i cannot say anything for as im not doing it. You have said you are good at history, so that'll stand you in good stead for it, but its a lot of work and you still have to do a Research Study. Plenty of work but ultimately the decision is yours

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I'm doing both History and Geography, iif you're trying to get the course done in one year, you're kinda screwed, particularly history as the course is so broad. The research topic takes up a lot of time, but that and the geography field study will give you 20% before you go into the exams. In geography, the short questions are basically not much better than junior cert level, but you need to know all your studied regions inside out. History...a lot more learning involved. I combined them with Biology, stupid choice as they're all quite hard, but the Economics class was full and the blocks screwed me over >_<

• Registered Users Posts: 14,469 ✭✭✭✭cson

um well i like both hist and geog and i've no real prob remembering or learning the stuff, my plan is to kinda keep all 9 hons subjects goin til the mocks and then decide what to do, i guess its kinda giving myself options cos i feckin hate languages. Anyway as one of my learned friends offered today 'a sure have a cut at it, ya could always do fas if it didnt work out'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭*Tripper*

Or repeat, never forget that option. Its only one extra year of your life and its so much easier the second time around!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 westhammer

Economics is very do-able in a year as is Geography from what Ive heard. History seems very dodgy though. I know people who loved it and struggled fro 2 years not to mind 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭XchampagneX

Geography and economics are both doable in one year!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Geography and economics are both doable in one year!!

geography course could be covered in a month, if you sat down and did 2 hours of geog a nite for a month you'd have it covered!!

The range of questions asked in geography too is great.

If im to be honest looking at last years paper im feeling very confident for an A!!

If i sat it now i probably could get a B.

If only that were the case for French, Maths and English:o

Advertisement