Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Who has right of way - Taxi Or Car at bus lane end

Options
  • 18-10-2006 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭

Heading from Nutgrove toward Terenure there is bus lane and car lane of approximate equal width.

The bus lane ends just after the traffic lights before the Texaco station

Today I was cut up aggressively by a Taxi driver, while I was pissed at the time I did wonder was he entitled to do this.

I saw him accelerating in the bus lane in my left mirror, presumably knowing the lane was coming to an end.
    I'm ahead of him at this stage, just past the lane ending he's just behind me but he's not slowing down, I'm following the road and realise if I dont give way he's going to drive straight into the side of me.

Did he have right of way ?
    I've tried to replicate it on the pic below, what are your thoughts ?

taxi_or_car-1.jpg

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

If he has to drive through a broken line then he's changing lanes and must yield. He also has no business overtaking you on the left assuming you are at a normal driving speed. If you took his number you could probably report the incident.

Dermot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭watersprings

You have right of way - you are in the current lane - his lane is coming to a close, therefore he must yield.. and he has to cross a broken line as Dermot said so it's definitely YOU with right of way!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Thanks lads, this isnt the first time thats happened there, next time am going to lean on the horn and get some satisfaction.

Yeah its not PC but when its wrong to be right it feels good :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Longfield wrote:
    Towhile I was pissed at the time
    tsk tsk drink driving? :D
    Longfield wrote:

taxi_or_car-1.jpg
    It looks like you are drifting there!

Anyhow back on topic - the 'drivers must yield to traffic on their right' rule could also apply here.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

kbannon wrote:
    tsk tsk drink driving? :D
    It looks like you are drifting there!

Anyhow back on topic - the 'drivers must yield to traffic on their right' rule could also apply here.

Hehhe, just as well there are no points for posting while pissed eh ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Right of way does not mean the other car must stop. In the event of a collision, the judge might apportion blame to bothsides. He could have reason (sick passenger/emergency call) yours at best might be The Rules of the Road, but the latter has been disregarded by Court Judgements.

It is the responsibility of all drivers to show reasonable care and attention.

I'd hate to tackle a taxi man in court!!

PS Never drive behind a taxi, always stay ahead!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭the_batman

Isn't there usually a yield sign at the end of buslanes?

Regardless of whether the taxi was in a hurry, he would still be at fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

Correct there usually are Yield signs at the end of bus lanes and that means bus or taxi must yield to traffic to their right, but do they ever? But as far as I can remember there is no yield sign at this particular section of road, just to create confusion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭the_batman

Correct there usually are Yield signs at the end of bus lanes and that means bus or taxi must yield to traffic to their right, but do they ever? But as far as I can remember there is no yield sign at this particular section of road, just to create confusion.

Even if there isn't a Yield sign, the road markings should be sufficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Personally I prefer to be behind at a distance, as they'll always make better progress than you because of the bus lanes, and generally you have to break the speed limits to stay ahead. Its more relaxing and less hassle to stay behind at a decent distance and chill out.

My experience is that taxi's are very unpredictable, and don't obey rules of the roads or even traffic lights, road markings etc. Older taxi's are probably rented out and they don't really care what they hit. Or they are just very old cars and not really bothered if they get scraps and dents. A lot of taxi drivers are very aggressive and I've had run in's with quite a few. Road rage incidents where I've reported them to the Guards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

Right of way does not mean the other car must stop. In the event of a collision, the judge might apportion blame to bothsides. He could have reason (sick passenger/emergency call) yours at best might be The Rules of the Road, but the latter has been disregarded by Court Judgements.

It is the responsibility of all drivers to show reasonable care and attention.

I'd hate to tackle a taxi man in court!!

if it goes to court then it might go 50-50 but the insurance companies wil never let an accident like that go to court the taxi is changing lanes he is at fault and if the taxi mans insurance company/the taxi man himself wont accept it then the private cars insurance company would be mad to give in

• Registered Users Posts: 78,402 ✭✭✭✭Victor

kbannon wrote:
    Not applicable.

I would however suggest merge in turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Victor wrote:
    Not applicable...

Why not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭johncm

This happened to me once and the taxi hit the rear 1/4 panelof the car. When i got out he tried to tell me it was my fault so i called the guards. When they arrived they said i had right away as i was on the main road and he should not have been in the bus lane as he had no passenger in the car. Felt very good handing him the quote for my car!!!1

Advertisement