Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any basic advice for running/excercise

Options
  • 18-10-2006 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭

I've been eating a lot healthier and shaking off the cob webs by walking 2-4 miles a day for the last 2 months and now want to take the step into running and regular exercise. I'm a 33 year old male and doing it to loose a little tummy fat, to keep fit and would like to eventually run a marathon once, maybe next year. I'm thinking of starting with 3 weekly 20-30 minute runs followed by some press ups and sit ups before stretching down at home. I would then build this as I go to keep pushing myself a little further as I progress.

How does this sound? Should I eat certain food after exercise? Any recommendations on running shoes for running on concrete? Any other general advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

frobisher wrote:
    I've been eating a lot healthier and shaking off the cob webs by walking 2-4 miles a day for the last 2 months and now want to take the step into running and regular exercise. I'm a 33 year old male and doing it to loose a little tummy fat, to keep fit and would like to eventually run a marathon once, maybe next year. I'm thinking of starting with 3 weekly 20-30 minute runs followed by some press ups and sit ups before stretching down at home. I would then build this as I go to keep pushing myself a little further as I progress.

How does this sound? Should I eat certain food after exercise? Any recommendations on running shoes for running on concrete? Any other general advice?

If you're managing it it sounds great. Depends on what your stomach deals with really on food. If you look a bit further down the page there's a thread on running shoes and Damian McKeever seems to know his stuff and is located in Bray. Further details are in the other thread.

Welcome to the world of athletics

Advertisement