Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Steering Wheel Alignment

Options
  • 18-10-2006 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

Guys,

when I'm driving my car in a straight line the top of the centre 'box' (where the horn & car make etc is ) of the wheel is slightly tilted to the left. If I straighten the wheel so that the top of the 'box' is perfectly horizontal then the car veers slightly to the right.

This isn't a driving or steering problem but looking at it bugs the hell out of me. Is it possible to easily loosen the steering wheel, straighten it and then tighten the wheel again to correct this?

Thanks,

Tom

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I presume you mean the badge in the wheel!
    This would be a symptom of something wrong - the cause could be anything from tracking to worn/damaged steering or suspension components. Most likely tracking though - about €20 upwards at a tyre centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

I thought that on some cars you can adjust the steering wheel on the column, and others you only have limited adjustment. (theres fewer splines).

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Thomas

The tracking and wheels were checked recently so I think it's only a matter of adjusting the wheel on the column slightly. This isn't a big job then? Could I do it myself easily enough?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭the_batman

I got my tracking done recently and they set the steering wheel first and locked it in place with some device in the car. Then they adjusted the wheels manually.

has the misalignment of the steering wheel come on since the tracking was done?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Thomas

My brother has had the car for two years and the tracking was done a couple of months ago with the new tyres. He says he never even noticed the badge slightly off the horizontal and reckons I'm being too nit-picky. I mean the car drives fine and in a straight line with no problems but damn if I look down at the badge it does bug me when it's not completely horizontal.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Thomas wrote:
    ..I mean the car drives fine and in a straight line with no problems but damn if I look down at the badge it does bug me when it's not completely horizontal.

Don't look at the steering wheel, look at the road, or else it may be you that is completely horizontal.

Not your ornery onager

Drives me crazy when its not straight awell. Sign of a poor mechanic if its left like that IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

It's something I ask them to take particular care with when getting a 4 wheel alignment done.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Lynfo

esel wrote:
    Don't look at the steering wheel, look at the road, or else it may be you that is completely horizontal.
    LOL good point!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Drives me crazy when its not straight awell. Sign of a poor mechanic if its left like that IMO.

It drives me nuts too. Depending on how far out it is, it can also interfere with the correct cancelling of the indicators.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Sauce

I had something like this. If your tracking is ok, it can sometimes be solved by switching the tyres around

If the tracking (and presumably balancing) is OK then changin the tyres shouldn't affect the steering wheel alignment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭ismynametoolong

It is no problem to get this sorted but dont go taking off the steering wheel
    as i imagine you are only out by 1 or 2 degrees out enough to make the badge look off centre moving the wheel on the splines will adjust it by a minimum of 10 degrees and make it worse . Find a garage that has four wheel laser alignment and that knows how to use it and is not operated by a 16 year old.Make sure they start at the back of the car and then clamp the steering wheel in the straight ahead position before adjusting the front.I personally would not get wheel alignment done in a tyre centre as i have seen cars come out worse than they went in . Oh and its a pointless excersise unless all four tyres are of equal thread dept with no adverse wear preferably new .

Sauce wrote:
    I had something like this. If your tracking is ok, it can sometimes be solved by switching the tyres around

Explain that to me...

.... Find a garage that has four wheel laser alignment and that knows how to use it and is not operated by a 16 year old....

Does one even exist?

Does one even exist?
    I believe that Dave McCann in Clonsilla is one!

Advertisement