Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clique

Options
  • 18-10-2006 9:04pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Where did this word go wrong? It's a french word, and accordingly, should be pronounced as the French say it. "Kleeck", not "click". It seems that nobody understands this anymore, as all I ever here is people referring to "clicks" and genuinely not knowing that it's pronounced "kleeck". Even www.webster.com has two pronunciations for it.

Or am I wrong? Has the word just evolved? Is it actually acceptable, nay correct, to pronouce it "click"?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 JohnWishbone11

if it gets the point across and your not too big on semantics but more interested in the sum on the parts then i think its okay.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I respectfully disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

Well yes, its a derivative of a French word but in the process of being adopted by English speakers the pronounciation has changed naturally.
    Both pronunciations are acceptable according to your source and Cambridge dictionary so you're not exactly 'wrong' in pronouncing it [ k l i k ] or 'kleeque' :p (or those who say [ k l I k ] or 'clik' )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

/'klɪk/ was almost exclusively a New World pronounciations until quite really, that is to say the pronounciation of a group of English speakers that force the more common English pronounciation onto words so avidly that they even pronounce their own names that way.

I don't mind new pronounciations being adopted much, but it's so different to the pronounciation /klik/ and so close to that of the word "click" and makes so little sense to not rhyme with unique that it's just confusing.

Nowhere near as confusing as the people who actually spell it "click".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Can't see why anyone would look at clique and see "click". Bit sad really.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

there's plenty of other words with the same ending which people have no problem with: pique, mystique

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Aye, that's true generalmiaow. The first time I heard it pronounced "click", I didn't know what they were talking about. I meam, nobody pronounces "unique" as "you-nick", or "mystique" as "mis-tick", so why is it done with "clique"? Maybe it's just a lack of awareness.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Faith wrote:
    I meam, nobody pronounces "unique" as "you-nick", or "mystique" as "mis-tick", so why is it done with "clique"?
    Aye, they would do in the north...and probably in Scotland?

Nope, I've never heard it done over here.

Do people really do that?

hullaballoo, I'm from the North, and I can speak English.

• Advertisement

Talliesin wrote:

Lmao! <3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 JohnWishbone11

I'm going to get sitebanned if I try dragging disputes into other forums.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Talliesin wrote:
    Yeah, because the point I was making was that Northerners can't speak English.

I know, was just being a bit sarky.

Besides, I actually do have an impediment when it comes to some sounds, so I lied :)

Contrary to what you seem to believe, my original post wasn't aimed at you, nor was it an attack on you. Your spelling of the word simply reminded me that I wanted to ask this question.

I still think it should be pronounced "kleeck" though.

Talliesin wrote:
    I know, was just being a bit sarky.

Besides, I actually do have an impediment when it comes to some sounds, so I lied :)
    'Sfunny, I was just going to say that I was just being a bit sarky when I posted that. :)

Nah, my point wasn't that Northerners say "click" pronounced "click", but that the inflection in some Northern accents narrows the "i" part of "clique" so that it sounds a bit like click. It was a silly point, admittedly. I must have gotten overexcited.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Scraggs wrote:
    Well yes, its a derivative of a French word but in the process of being adopted by English speakers the pronounciation has changed naturally.

Not sure I agree with this, we don't like it when the English start pronouncing Irish surnames incorrectly - Haughey becomes Hockey or Kinsella becomes Kin-sella etc. We consider this wrong and feel that the English are too lazy and disrespectful to learn how to pronounce these words.

I think that clique can become ingrained in the English language but not as 'click'! English is already cluttered with enough words having two meanings "I had jam on toast while sitting in a traffic jam", "I spoke to him about the spoke on my bicycle".

It does seem that those who speak of 'clicks' are just ignorant of the words original meaning and think it is some sort of made up word rather than an import.

Click is a Thunderdome favourite at the moment. They're all in clicks in there!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I have never heard this horrendous pronunciation before, and I never want too. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭parliament

If you have never heard it pronounced 'clicks who must not interact with the general public all to often. If it has become an accepted norm and dictionarys allow for both pronunciations can you really call it 'sad' that people do not pronounce it correctly?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I would call it annoying, much like the minor spelling errors in your post, annoy me. It is a personal preference, as it is a word that I think sounds lovely.
    Also, I never really hear people saying that word, apart from a lecturer yesterday, that pronounced it like I do.

Oh god..one spelling mistake. Sorry but I'm doing work at and reading the boards at the same time.

ps no capitalisation of G on god was intentional

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

parliament wrote:
    Oh god..one spelling mistake. Sorry but I'm doing work at and reading the boards at the same time.

ps no capitalisation of G on god was intentional

Hee hee, Tar is a Spell Czech mod so you can pretty much rely on him/her/it to pcik up on you're errurs (couldn't resist)

Well, I still think that the word should be left as it is, it helps bring much-needed diversity to the language, we didn't change the word 'entrepreneur' and it survived well, so why change 'clique'?

Just to interject here with a quick reminder, this is not Spell Czechs and is not a place for picking on peoples grammar and spelling mistakes. Doing this can and will result in a ban.

However, txt spk won't be well received either.

I don't capitalise god either. I am not having a go at your spelling(There is more than one mistake. :p), I was just pointing out that it annoys me slightly(As a personal preference, being a pedant.), as an example, and I did not call it sad?

EDIT:

Read above, Faith.

Tar is a Spell Czech mod so you can pretty much rely on him/her/it to pcik up on you're errurs (couldn't resist)
    ;)

Well, I still think that the word should be left as it is, it helps bring much-needed diversity to the language, we didn't change the word 'entrepreneur' and it survived well, so why change 'clique'?
    My sentiments are quite like these. I love the English language and the oddities that have crept in. I don't like to see the language made less 'beautiful' to me.

I was just trying to point out that there are many people who pronouce this and indeed many other words incorrectly, but these posts tend to belittle them. As for the comments on my spelling errors thats just laziness on my behalf, luckily I'm not dyslexic or I may have taken offence.

It's not belittling people, it's discussing whether it's acceptable or not to pronounce it "click". Majority opinion here says no.

As far as I'm concerned, it's never okay to spell it click. There's lack of knowledge and then there's ignorance.

It was an earlier post by somebody else who used the term "sad". My post was purely to put the point across that more people than you would think mispronounce certain words, but lets not hold it against them. All are not as fortunate...

I have to agree that I don't think saying that people are sad because of the way they pronounce a word is acceptable.

However, the point of the thread was to point out that there are variations in teh way words are pronounced.

As a slight aside, why is pronounciation pronounced differently from pronounce? (Don't say "because they're spelled differently", because you know what I mean.)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Phosphorus

As a slight aside, why is pronounciation pronounced differently from pronounce? (Don't say "because they're spelled differently", because you know what I mean.)

Quite simply because 'pronounce' has a primary stress on the second syllable while 'pronunciation' has the primary stress on the fourth syllable and only a secondary stress on the second syllable...

Advertisement