Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clique

Options
2»

Comments

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Actually, it would appear to be that I can't spell. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Oh God, why must people ruin the beautiful French language with their Anglisised attrocities?!

It is "kleek" and will always be "kleek".

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Faith wrote:
    Where did this word go wrong? It's a french word, and accordingly, should be pronounced as the French say it. "Kleeck", not "click".
    I've never pronounced it "click" and can't think of a single reason why I'd want to.
    Talliesin wrote:
    Nowhere near as confusing as the people who actually spell it "click".
    As a moderately-related aside, i was proof-reading some stuff for UL's newspaper last night and changed "peaked" to "piqued" as I'd no idea why the particular writer in question might have wanted to say that something had peaked his interest. It's all downhill from here, folks, Fowler was optimistic.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

sceptre wrote:
    I've never pronounced it "click" and can't think of a single reason why I'd want to.

As a moderately-related aside, i was proof-reading some stuff for UL's newspaper last night and changed "peaked" to "piqued" as I'd no idea why the particular writer in question might have wanted to say that something had peaked his interest. It's all downhill from here, folks, Fowler was optimistic.
    In a vaguely related note, does anybody pronounce "cliché" as "clish"? Because it's kind of the same thing, with the same emphasis on the "i".

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

@ Faith...I hope and pray that nobody does although because of the obvious accent over the 'e' I doubt they do. Also I think that cliché has been in the language a lot longer than clique (could be wrong?). Begs the question, if cliché can retain correct pronunciation, why can't clique? :D

@ Sceptre: The confusion of 'piqued' and 'peaked' may come from something like...

'Oh my level of interest in the subject peaked and waned a long time ago'.

As opposed to...

'It piqued my interest for a moment but I quickly realised...'

Unfortunately this confusion probably stems from a lack of broad reading :( There's nothing like seeing the words written on the page of a book to instill the notion that the words are spelled differently and have different meanings :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

I heard a guy pronouncing "niche" as "nitch" today on the radio..Declan Nerney as I now recall,Marian Finucane at 1100 RTE 1

Nearly crashed the car.........

Aye, I've heard that one before. It appears to be an Americanised version of the word because, shockingly, one of my Evolution lecturers pronouned it "nitch", and she was American.

Faith wrote:
    Aye, I've heard that one before. It appears to be an Americanised version of the word because, shockingly, one of my Evolution lecturers pronouned it "nitch", and she was American.

Yep, possibly American. I was at a molecular biology and proteomics conference a few years ago and a Professor of Pathology asked me how it felt to be:

"...a member of such a top mark 'nitch' grouping?"

It took me a minute to decipher what he meant (mark=marque, nitch=niche) :o, he probably thought 'Gee this guy is at the top of an exciting new field and he struggles with basic English!" :D

I've yet to hear an English or Irish person say it but at least two Americans and one Israeli I know have pronounced it this way to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭monkey tennis

The pronunciation doesn't bother me as much as people actually spelling it click / clickey / clickish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

The pronunciation doesn't bother me as much as people actually spelling it click / clickey / clickish.
    Yeah, but that's just not knowing how to spell something. It's irritating, but it's reasonable.

If it starts becoming so common that it approaches being an alternative spelling, that would be different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I blame the colonies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Is this "click" monstrosity mostly said by teenagers? I've never heard it myself but it sounds appallingly ignorant. Did it come from some US TV show?

Nope, I've heard it said (and seen it written) by all ages groups. I don't know if it came from the US, I assumed it just stemmed from ignorance. Pronouncing "niche" as "nitch" is a US thing though, afaik.

simu wrote:
    Is this "click" monstrosity mostly said by teenagers? I've never heard it myself but it sounds appallingly ignorant. Did it come from some US TV show?

I first heard it pronounced as 'click' in 1994 when I was an undergrad in Maynooth so it's been around a while. :(

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Piste wrote:
    Oh God, why must people ruin the beautiful French language with their Anglisised attrocities?!

It is "kleek" and will always be "kleek".

Don't worry, they regularly get their revenge, in this case by taking our word "click" and rewriting it as "clique" to mean... "click"

Not that the average French speaker can tell the difference between a long and a short I and would therefore not be bothered in the slightest by this alleged paralinguistic crime. He'd piss himself laughing at the way you say "déjà vu", though. ;)

How does one go about becoming part of this after hours 'click'?
    The-Rigger wrote: »
    I don't find it clicky, people say what they want, if others disagree, they say so.

If someone says something deemed offensive by someone, they call them on it.

AGHHHHH!!!!

/smacks head repeatedly off wall.
    you use the word clique instead, and nubile maidens will fall at your feet, mana will fall from heavan, and you will instantly be welcomed with a firm handshake and an alcoholic beverage of youre own delight whenever you leave the house*

*may not actually be true in any shape or form

At least someone had some sense there... I'll forever respect you for that, WWM.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Faith wrote: »
    At least someone had some sense there... I'll forever respect you for that, WWM.

For the 'mana', 'heavan' or 'youre'? ;)

Clunque clique, every trippe.

Advertisement