Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeating Leaving Cert Subjects years later.

Options
  • 18-10-2006 9:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭

Ok so I did my leaving cert there four or five years ago and I did ok considering I pretty much just fukked about for the 5 years of secondary school, but I've decided that when I get back from travelling next year I'm going to go back to college and so need to repeat a few subjects of my leaving as the course I want to do in college is about 300 points more than I got the first time around and requires an honour in higher chemistry, which I didn't take.

I was just wondering if any of you have done anything like this before? Gone back and repeated leaving cert subjects a good few years after you left secondary school. If so how did you go about it? Did you repeat them at night in a secondary school, are there colleges and FAS courses and things where you can do leaving cert subjects and then take them? How did you find the experience in general? All personal experiences or links to more info will be greatly appreciated, thanks a million, Slipss.

P.S. I know there is an Education forum but I couldn't find a section in it where this would fit. Feel free to move if there is one, although I'd prefer it to stay here as I think I would get more responses.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭im...LOST

I'm not going to e much help to you but I'd just like to say fair play to you for wanting to return to do the leaving cert.

Most people want to get away asap!!

Best of luck with it:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Katykaboom

Well Im actually repeating now. I sat mine 2 years ago. Not as long as yourself but its still a pain. I did feck all for my lc aswell, I got 275 , was more interested in boys and drink and all that malarky, but I have a bit of sense now and just keep that to the weekends. (in small amounts, if you want to do well, believe me you will basically have no life)

Im doing it in a secondary school during the day, and working part time in the evenings. Its an all boys school, which is a nightmare as I get screamed at/ harrassed/wolf whistled everywhere I go.

I looked into the fas thing and I think you are entitled to do it only if you are oiut of work a certain amount of time, I know I wasnt eligible for it but you may want to double check that one (let me know aswell Id be interested to find out)

Its hard with some subjects for instance, I dropped out of maths as I already had a pass and didnrt need to sit it again and picked up business.
    The subjects themselves, are ok to learn, But French, I was surprised at how fast I remembered and am whopping all the others in the class which I find highly satisfying, I just remind them when they call me old lady etc etc. :D I am actually enjoying learning the majority of them now because Im there of my own free accord and not being made go by my parents. Im also doing all higher now rather than 5 ordinary and 2 higher.

The annoying thing is everyone is just fresh out of school and some of them are a nightmare, Im the oldest (Im only 20). The teachers in the school also treat me like a child even though, Ive been out of school two years, and Ive already been to college, WHICH IS INFURIATING. I even had to pull one of the teachers aside today and had to ask him politley to treat me like an adult and not a hormal teenager who throws tantrums.

The goverenment also do not like people repeating by the way, so any fees you have to pay for doing the leaving cert are basically doubled. I think its costing me best part of a grand to repeat. The fee for the actual school is €400, the rest being othjer stupid fees and the cao and all that.

But if you need the points I'd highly recomend it. I am enjoying it. The teachers make it enjoyable aswell, especially my business teacher, hes obsessed with Chelsea and brings it into everything so that can be quite entertaining when he is comparing the unfair dismissals act to your man Drogba I think it is...

Let me know what you decide to do! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 ~flammable~

Hey,

Just want to say that ur not alone. I know a few people who've come back to do the leaving cert a few years after the first time they did it. I'd say u could try doing it in a grind school if there's one near you..they treat u like an adult and give u more freedom etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

ok thanks for the advice, I'm fairly certain I'll be able to get pretty high marks in english, maths, history ect by just buying the books and past exam papers and doin a bit of work at home in my spare time, it's just the other language (french maybe) and chemistry that I'd need grinds in, but I don't think grind schools do chemistry because they don't have the labs for the practical work, well anyways I don't really have to worry about it for a year or so, thanks for the help though.

Advertisement