Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Burning Smell?

Options
  • 18-10-2006 10:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Just a quick query, my car has just passed the NCT and before this underwent a full service.

However, since the service, there has been a slight burning smell while driving, if i had to describe it then the closed it could get would be saying it smelled like solder!!??

Anyone any idea what it could be? Or have any similar experience? It's a 97 punto.

Thanks,
    Dan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭Esel

No idea really, but burning solder sounds like hot wiring, which could lead to fire. Get it checked!

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Drax

It could also be the rheostat that heats the air in the ventilation system. Might be about to go. A way to check it to have the car without the engine running but put the heat on full and turn the fan on. As far as I am aware the punto has 3 fan settings - check if the air heats on all 3.

Stupid question but do you sometimes ride your clutch...this can be the cause of burning smells on occasion.

Best to get a pro to look at it though! As esel says, possible fire hazard!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

Check the obvious first - there may be the remnants of a plastic bag wrapped around the exhaust pipes on your car. They can create a real stink

Advertisement