Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Internet Explorer 7 Released

• 18-10-2006 10:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭

From TheHotFix
    Although IE7 final is not yet on Microsoft's official site, you can still get the final version of IE7 via the Yahoo! integrated bundle. To download IE7 final, go to http://downloads.yahoo.com/internetexplorer/index.php, download the file, extract it with a program like WinRAR, and the run the ie7-setup.exe file. You'll get the final build of IE7 7.0.5730.11.

Enjoy!

Any test pigs wanna try? :D

Mart

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Pff, think I'll stick with Firefox. The beta versions of IE refused to work for me at all so I won't be downloading it anytime soon. Integrated bundle indeed! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

I installed build 7.0.5346.5 a few months ago and I have to say that I hated it, I just don't like the set up of it at all. So like ruu I will be sticking to firefox as that is basically what IE7 is trying to be like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Catsmokinpot

I'm using IE7 right now on vista RC1, and i must say (coming from a dedicated firefox user) that IE7 really is quite nice. Firstly, i love the homepage function in internet options, basically you can set multiple homepages that open in tabs when IE starts.

When an error happens with IE it closes but saves all your info and restarts IE so you dont end up losing a couple of hours of work over one error, all websites display perfectly...

and finally if someone has programmed a little POS spyware program into a website, windows detects that it wants to make changes to you're pc and asks for your permission (a login system which i know has been a feature of osx for ages now) and its about time too!

now i hate to be a microsoft sackrider but they did a good job on this one and ill give credit where credit is due

only problem is, it needs to be able to add extensions like firefox then it will be on par

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

I love the homepage function in internet options, basically you can set multiple homepages that open in tabs when IE starts.

Wow, what a new and innovative feature! Why didn't someone think of that sooner /sarcasm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

haha what amazing new features IE7 has, This is going to change the way we browse.

..wait a minute, these are fake hands

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Catsmokinpot

L5 wrote:
    Wow, what a new and innovative feature! Why didn't someone think of that sooner /sarcasm
    :rolleyes: im sick of firefox, you can brown nose mozilla and opera all you want, the only things i liked mozilla for were the tabbed browsing and the extensions, but im sick of firefox memory leak bull****, and i never liked opera. So, this works perfectly, no memory leak and nicer all round so screw the elitist pricks :p

having said all that, if mozilla sorted out the memory leak in a new vista version..... then bye bye IE7 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭eoineen

Doesn't anyone ask, why with all the resources that Redmond has at its disposal, does it take so long to produce something that's already 12 months behind Mozilla?

Me? I'll be the hangin' wi de 'fox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Just installed it there. So far, I hate it.

They got rid of the menu bar?! wtf?! That's increadibly stupid and annoying imho.

Most of the other changes I've spotted so far have been done before and better by other players. That button to see all your tabs as thumbnails on the one page is cute.. but fairly useless at the same time.

Suprised to see Yahoo! is the default (and only preinstalled) search provider. No MSN?

And I had to laugh when the first page it tried to load (some microsoft page) failed to load at all.

It's also borked a couple of my websites :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

at least IE7 looks different from IE6, just downloaded the beta version of firefox2 and I have to say it is basically exactly the same, has the nice feature of being able to undo a closed tab just incase you accidently close one however I like the feature on IE7 where you can easily get the a tiled version of all your current open tabs that I can't seem to find in firefox at the mo

I actually quite like Firefox 2.0 :p

Small changes but they're good ones. Just improvements really, upon an already decent program.

To be honest though, it's the extensions more than anything else that keep me on Firefox.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

me likes a lot.

used the betas and was on the rc of IE7. Got the final version today and well, not much different than the rc.
    They got rid of the menu bar?! wtf?! That's increadibly stupid and annoying imho.

Well, fair play for spotting the other changes but you can display the menu toolbar if you looked a small bit deeper and didn't try so hard to find fault.

True, I was never going to like it.

Still don't though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

:rolleyes: im sick of firefox, you can brown nose mozilla and opera all you want, the only things i liked mozilla for were the tabbed browsing and the extensions, but im sick of firefox memory leak bull****, and i never liked opera. So, this works perfectly, no memory leak and nicer all round so screw the elitist ****s :p

having said all that, if mozilla sorted out the memory leak in a new vista version..... then bye bye IE7 :)
    tut , tut this is a family forum ;)

IE7 already has holes so expect patches on second tuesday , at least they just allow remote browsing of your documents rather than taking complete control.

Are you on FF 1.5 ?
    because there is a beta 2 and they are taking suggestions for version 3

http://www.ie7.com :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I'm using IE7 right now on vista RC1, and i must say (coming from a dedicated firefox user) that IE7 really is quite nice. Firstly, i love the homepage function in internet options, basically you can set multiple homepages that open in tabs when IE starts.

When an error happens with IE it closes but saves all your info and restarts IE so you dont end up losing a couple of hours of work over one error, all websites display perfectly...

and finally if someone has programmed a little POS spyware program into a website, windows detects that it wants to make changes to you're pc and asks for your permission (a login system which i know has been a feature of osx for ages now) and its about time too!

now i hate to be a microsoft sackrider but they did a good job on this one and ill give credit where credit is due

only problem is, it needs to be able to add extensions like firefox then it will be on par

You could add plugins in the earlier beta I had. They are on the Ms site somewhere.

Personally I hated it. Everything UI decision seems like a bad one to me but maybe I'm just used to Opera.

Reading the new features in IE7 made me laugh considering how long I've been using them for. I gave IE7 a fair shot. I tried to use it for a day but it kept annoying the crap out of me to be honest. That and I use mail in Opera so it just made sense to stick with it in the end.

I stopped using Firefox after I went on to my 13th or 14th extension. Such a pain downloading them all when Opera does all of it out of the box.

Opera V9 with the IE7 theme they have is very nice IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i only like it because it will give the brain dead users who don't know of alternatives a better browsing experience.

but it just completely rips everything out from opera/mozilla

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

it's okay, it does the job. i've been using Internet explorer all my life(i'm 14yrs old), but i think the key is being able to use the different explorers as you need them and know what to use each for....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

Goodshape wrote:
    And I had to laugh when the first page it tried to load (some microsoft page) failed to load at all.
    :(
    haha classic :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Cremo wrote:
    i only like it because it will give the brain dead users who don't know of alternatives a better browsing experience.

but it just completely rips everything out from opera/mozilla

Define better browsing experience?

Lets see, Firefox copied the tabs from Opera but MS are ripping everything off when they finally implement them? :rolleyes:

What the people want, they get and tabbed browsing is high on that list tbh.

Bitching about the UI is pointless imo as you can revert to the IE6 menu layout if you so please.
    Like those folk who use XP in classic mode and who'll more than likely do the same when Vista comes out.

Stick to yer 'blah' layouts in FF and Opera.

Kudos to MS for a very nice change from IE6.

ftr, I use Opera as my primary browser but credit where it's due.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

personally i think microsoft let themselves down with this release

yes its different, yes it has tabbed browsing, yes it has a few little extra's

but i find the UI could have been better

and i'll take their own product has an example, i just purchased the beta of office 2007, $1.50, bargain at any other price

but the interface they went with this time is MUCH MUCH improved, im thoroughly impressed with it, and i feel that if one section talked to the other, there could have been a brilliantly innovative but simple interface concept.

most people are very used to the file menu at the top, in office, its replaced by a tabbed browsing style navigation of the programs utilities with icon views of each option. it all feels very web 2.0

i'll install IE7, purely because it removed IE6 and that in itself closes a lot of vulnerabilities in windows

sure it might open up a few extra issue's, but i'll deal with that when they come

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Now available on the Microsoft site (not bundled with Yahoo I presume).
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/downloads/default.mspx?mg_id=10013

If you don't want to install it or you don't want it to arrive with Windows updates, which it will as a "high priority" update, they also have a blocker you can DL and install.
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=4516A6F7-5D44-482B-9DBD-869B4A90159C&displaylang=en

For the record, I like it (and hate Firefox :p)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Goodshape wrote:
    Just installed it there. So far, I hate it.

Really, when was the last time you used the menu bar in IE6? What exactly did you use it for? IMO the redesigned menu is a lot better. Taking it out frees up space.

Microsoft for better or worse are moving away from the menubar padigram (See Office 2007 (Which is amazingly fantastic words cant describe it), Media player 11, Vista in general)
    Most of the other changes I've spotted so far have been done before and better by other players. That button to see all your tabs as thumbnails on the one page is cute.. but fairly useless at the same time.

Doomed if they do and doomed if the dont. But hey it's MS so lets bash it :rolleyes:

It's going to have tabbed browsing (And imo its a better implementation then Firefox, the tabs are bigger, it's got a nice 'new tab' button, and the Quick View is nice)
    Suprised to see Yahoo! is the default (and only preinstalled) search provider. No MSN?

You must have gotten he Yahoo pack linked in the OP. My default search was Google, and they had a nice selection of search providers to pick from.

Same here, but it appears to be up now.
    It's also borked a couple of my websites :(

Borked some of your own coded pages?

IE7 is a lot more standards compliant then IE6, so thats a definite improvement.

As for my own view, I like it. The common person will think it's a great upgrade.

I wont use it as Opera is a far better browser (Cant beat mouse gestures and the speed of Opera) but I think it's easily on par with a clean Firefox install (And probably dosen't have the horrendous memory issues that Firefox does)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

With just a few tabs on boards.ie open, IE7 eats up 100-200 MB of RAM on my PC! Running Vista RC2 ... Firefox used to 'only' use around 90 MB in XP before I upgraded.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

sure it might open up a few extra issue's, but i'll deal with that when they come
    <cough>within a few hours of launch they found it had holes that were discovered 6 months ago in IE6 <cough>

Hmm standards compliant ... sounds interesting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

ethernet wrote:
    With just a few tabs on boards.ie open, IE7 eats up 100-200 MB of RAM on my PC! Running Vista RC2 ... Firefox used to 'only' use around 90 MB in XP before I upgraded.

ive 8 tabs open and its only taking up 75mb... on xp pro i may add....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

ethernet wrote:
    You must have something wrong there. I'm on RC2 aswell and with 10 tabs open, it's only using about 70MB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

I downloaded IE7 last night. I actually use slimbrowser, which is really just a skin for IE (but a really, really good one). But my fonts have changed which just makes everything look 'different' and not in a good way. How do I get my old look font back? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Sarsfield wrote:
    I downloaded IE7 last night. I actually use slimbrowser, which is really just a skin for IE (but a really, really good one). But my fonts have changed which just makes everything look 'different' and not in a good way. How do I get my old look font back? :(
    Tools > Internet Options > Advanced > Uncheck "Always use ClearType for HTML" > Restart IE?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

Tools > Internet Options > Advanced > Uncheck "Always use ClearType for HTML" > Restart IE?

Top man aidan_walsh. Much appreciated :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I want to download it to check it out. If I do this does it render my IE6 inoperable by installing over it or something? I really don't want to lose the old IE I have here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Gordon wrote:
    I want to download it to check it out. If I do this does it render my IE6 inoperable by installing over it or something? I really don't want to lose the old IE I have here.

Yep, It installs over IE6
    within a few hours of launch they found it had holes that were discovered 6 months ago in IE6

Which goes to show how irresponsible the security company is for waiting till they release IE7 before saying anything, despite it being in Beta/RC mode for about a year.

Thats not to say MS shouldn't have a fix, but still...

Advertisement