Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom broadband unlimited? or Not?

Options
  • 18-10-2006 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭

From eircoms web site there are 3 options:

I must be blind, but Im sure those nice little pictures next to them say unlimited usage but the links show differant
    • Monthly megabyte allowance: 10 GB download / 1 GB upload.
    • Monthly megabyte allowance: 20 GB download and unlimited upload
    • Monthly allowance: 30 GB download and unlimited upload

Is this false advertising..Should I let ComReg know or am I blind and get some new glasses?:confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I saw that too and got very excited for a second untill I clicked the link... false advertising more than likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

it's highly misleading but it's not false advertising.

eircom's take on unlimited monthly usage is that your aren't "timed" on your supposidly "always-on" broadband.

yet there are data transfer limits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I believe that in context with the final image on that page for broadband time, the "unlimited monthly usage" is not in relation to traffic, but the number of hours that the connection could be used per month.

bb_1m_time.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭olearydc

very Smart....Shame
    I do think though Broad band should always be on..
    Eircom and other providers should not limit BB with time limits

Its what BB is all about, or was until the time idea popped in

The icons still say unlimited though, some people might get caught out..thinking like 99% of people that unlimited means uncapped...oh well...

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭olearydc

I believe that in context with the final image on that page for broadband time, the "unlimited monthly usage" is not in relation to traffic, but the number of hours that the connection could be used per month.

bb_1m_time.gif

Yep..never saw that...until you pointed it out....damm, i thought I had a great point...:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

olearydc wrote:
    Yep..never saw that...until you pointed it out....damm, i thought I had a great point...:D
    You have a good point and Eircom have been done for this kind of misleading advertising before.
    Cremo wrote:
    it's highly misleading but it's not false advertising.

eircom's take on unlimited monthly usage is that your aren't "timed" on your supposidly "always-on" broadband.

yet there are data transfer limits.
    It is misleading, especially to the inexperienced. Eircoms take/interpretation on the meaning of the advert is irrellevant. They must produce ads that are clear cut and unambiguos to the comsumer. They were done by the ASAI in January for misleading advertising in relation to their €39.99 talktime bundle. This is the view of the ASAI:
    The Code of Advertising Standards requires that an advertisement should not mislead by inaccuracy, ambiguity, exaggeration, omission or otherwise. It also requires that advertisers should not exploit the credulity, inexperience or lack of knowledge of consumers.
    Full judgement here:
    http://www.asai.ie/complaint_view.asp?CID=118&BID=7

Advertisement