Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL BB & Blueface

Options
  • 18-10-2006 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭

Have NTL BB and the new peering is playing havoc.
    G/f is from abroad and rings home a lot. She uses skype and also another provider from her own country.

Over the last two months the quality of calls has really degraded. Its at the point where sometimes she has too switch to her mobile as the echo, lag and breakup is so bad both services are unusable. However this costs a fortune.

It was fine prior to the UPC takeover and the new, retarded, routing.

Just wondering do any blueface users currently on NTL have similar problems or has the quality of the service remained largely the same despite the new routing?

Cheers...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

G/f is from abroad and rings home a lot. She uses skype and also another provider from her own country.

Over the last two months the quality of calls has really degraded. Its at the point where sometimes she has too switch to her mobile as the echo, lag and breakup is so bad both services are unusable. However this costs a fortune.

Just wondering do any blueface users currently on NTL have similar problems or has the quality of the service remained largely the same despite the new routing?

Cheers...

HI

I have Blueface with NTL connection and had no problems.

You might better asking on the Voip Forum

Regards

Regards

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Its because NTL broke their peering 2 months back and started to stuff the VoIP traffic onto a congested via Amsterdam link to Blueface instead of an uncongested via INEX in Dublin link as heretofore.

And they are launching their own VoIP soon which explains why they do not care.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Well their digital tv is not great ( i have it and its prone to glitches all the time ), BB is fairly shoddy recently and now voip on the way - wonder will it be up to the same gold standards :rolleyes:

Triple play from NTL doesnt sound that attractive!

Well I might try Bluefaces one euro free trial and see what the quality is like...

If a mod wants to move this VOIP that would be great...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

I'm with BF and NTL on a 3MBps connection using an analog telephone adapter. Haven't had any problems otherwise I'd be single right now. So I wouldn't entirely blame it on the routing. Sounds like a more localised issue.

You might like to try a free VOIP provider like voipcheap.com. I have my second VOIP line configured to use that and I haven't had any problems with that service either. voipcheap.com gives you 300mins a week free for outbound calls. freespeech.ie gives you an 076 number for free for inbound calls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

Hi Fatherdougalmag, did you have to do anything to configure your ATA? i can't make outgoing calls with voipcheap. did you have any trouble at the start?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

Noelie wrote:
    Hi Fatherdougalmag, did you have to do anything to configure your ATA? i can't make outgoing calls with voipcheap. did you have any trouble at the start?
    Did you use the settings at http://www.voipcheap.com/en/sip.html

You might want to make sure that the Voipcheap client is shut down when using the ATA - I'm not sure if logging in the same account from two different devices might cause a problem.

I set up a Grandstream Budgetone 101 with voipstunt recently, and it works a treat (for outbound and inbound calls). I picked up a refurbished Budgetone for $45 on a recent trip to the US!

Yeah i have put in those setting, I'm able to accept incoming calls through my voipcheap number but can't make outgoing.

I'll try turning off the Voipcheap client and see if that makes a difference, thanks for the info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

Noelie wrote:
    Yeah i have put in those setting, I'm able to accept incoming calls through my voipcheap number but can't make outgoing.
    If it works for incoming, then it's probably not a problem on the voipcheap end. You'r obviously logged in properly, and voipcheap is talking to you. It's more likely to be a problem with the ATA sending the information to voipcheap. Do you need to press # or * after you dial a number to actually send it? Does your ATA have a log to show any error messages that it gets back from your provider?

You should probably ask about this in the Voup forum: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=542

Yeah i already asked on the voip forum but didn't get any responses.
    I think its some setting i need to change as i can make outgoing calls with blueface.
    Thanks again for the help.

I'll have a look on my Sipura at home to see how the voipcheap account differs from the Blueface one in terms of credentials and login info.

• Advertisement

fatherdougalmag,

Thanks for the advice. I see you mention a Sipura - what model is that and how much do they go for...

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭RintPete

Cheers...

JB,

I have NTL (3MBit) in Galway and BlueFace and I find the quality quite OK. I'm using a LinkSys WRT54G2P Router. Originally I found local calls were poor quality, but calling the USA was perfect. Now the quality is good all round.

Have you tried http://www.testmyvoip.com/ ?

I am now in the process of porting over my home no to Blueface.

-=- RintPete

See attached image for my voipcheap line on the Sipura 2100. Got it from BF when I signed up last year.

RintPete

Thanks the link I'll try it out the site.

FatherDoug,

again thanks, really sounds like BF is worth checking out... Will try out their free trial and their softphone first too. Ill look into voipcheap too, hadnt heard of them.

Advertisement